And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2013, 09:46:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2013, 08:33:40 PM
Violate your republican heritage?  Why are you trying to move to a constitutional monarchy?  Why don't you fuck off back to Ireland?  Or go to the US.  They could always use another potatohead there to keep CdM company.
ah?  Now there's a limit to what immigrants can ask?

Yup. Once they become citizens, they can ask what they like concerning our laws; until then, I'm afraid, they have no say.

Don't like our oath? I can see a solution for that.  :hmm: I know - don't take it, and go back to whence you came.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 12, 2013, 10:40:07 AM
Yup. Once they become citizens, they can ask what they like concerning our laws; until then, I'm afraid, they have no say.
It's not like they would be better treated.

Don't like our oath? I can see a solution for that.  :hmm: I know - don't take it, and go back to whence you came.  :)
They'll simply keep living here as immigrant.  It doesn't change much.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Yep, they can enjoy all the benefits of being governed by the laws of a Constitutional Monarchy and if they wish any rights of political participation they must swear allegance to it.

Not sure why that is contraversial.  As I said, it will interesting to see how this plays out.

Jacob

Government minister transition document includes list of "enemy stakeholders" on issues, and lists of bureaucrats to avoid: http://globalnews.ca/news/718943/ministerial-staff-asked-to-develop-blacklists-in-lead-up-to-shuffle-source/

Personally I rate it as "that's how business is done", but interesting nonetheless.

crazy canuck

The thing that strikes me about this story isnt so much that new ministers are getting the lay of the land - every political party does that and it seems sensible.

What strikes me is the hyperbole in the message which seems to also run though all our political parties.  Rather than using more neutral language to communicate the same message we seem to be devolving into a world of extreme language.

The Globe had a good editorial piece about this phenomenon the other day regaring the vitriol exchanged between David Suzuki and the Finance Minister over, of all things, immigration policy.

Its not how I would like to see things being done but I fear that is just the way it is these days.

I wonder how much the kinds of interactions common in the social media enviornment (where people say things they would never say in person) is influencing discourse at this level.

Malthus

What I find annoying is perhaps a minor peeve - and that is, the way that the titles of statutes are getting buggered up.

Used to be all statutes had good, descriptive and basic names  - like the Competition Act or the Criminal Code.

Now, governments seem determined to foist unwieldy and politically motivated statute names on us, like The Future of Medicare Act. Bah, humbug.  :mad:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2013, 11:24:50 AM
Now, governments seem determined to foist unwieldy and politically motivated statute names on us, like The Future of Medicare Act. Bah, humbug.  :mad:

Agreed

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2013, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2013, 11:24:50 AM

Agreed

When I was in the Yukon our office was consulted about writing a new Corrections Act.  They asked us what they should call it.  My answer (which drew approval from all the other lawyers present) was that whatever you call it, make it something easy so we can easily find it and know what the bill is supposed to be about.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So my old friend Stephen Fletcher was demoted from cabinet in the shake-up yesterday.  He used to have the minor portfolio of Minister for Transportation.

According to the commuter newspaper I read this morning, he tweeted 'As a Conservative, and a traditionalist, I wish I was demoted for the traditional reason - a sex scandal.' :)

It's even funnier if you know Stephen.  He's a quadriplegic. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2013, 11:46:15 AM
So my old friend Stephen Fletcher was demoted from cabinet in the shake-up yesterday.  He used to have the minor portfolio of Minister for Transportation.

According to the commuter newspaper I read this morning, he tweeted 'As a Conservative, and a traditionalist, I wish I was demoted for the traditional reason - a sex scandal.' :)

:lol:

Neil

He always struck me as remarkably good-humoured.  :lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

he tweeted 'As a Conservative, and a traditionalist, I wish I was demoted for the traditional reason - a sex scandal.' :)

:lol:

Malthus

Well, he's locked in the Languish vote with that tweet.  :D

Malthus

Did you also know this guy? Seems he took Mr. Fletcher's quip seriously.  ;)

http://o.canada.com/2013/07/17/mike-allen-mla-prostitution/

Neil

He's a new guy, one of Redford's troops.  He won't be missed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.