News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Just want to mention that CTV news is saying Toronto were already investigating the existence of the Ford crack video before The Star made the whole thing up.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/06/13/massive_police_raid_launched_in_toronto.html
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Is someone claiming that the Star "made the whole thing up"?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2013, 01:55:46 PM
Just want to mention that CTV news is saying Toronto were already investigating the existence of the Ford crack video before The Star made the whole thing up.

Why do you think the Star made the whole thing up?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 10:51:38 AM
I am not sure how embarrassing this is.  In my experience it is normally considered good practice  to schedule events so that they do not fall on significant religious days.

The fact that a religious group has come forward to say that the will accomodate the slight doesnt mean selecting the date wasnt wrong in the first place.   
It is ridiculous, because they are a minority group, wich happens to vote Liberal in a few key riding, and the PLQ was afraid to lose their vote, so they took an idiot position: accomodating everyone for everything.

You can vote 2 weeks and one week prior to election day, no justification asked.  What happens if the year we fall on a Jewish holy day the 2 previous sundays hapen to be sacred for another group?  Afaik, as Christians, we shouldn't work on Sunday.  Do you propose that we shut down hospitals on Sunday?  Orthodox Jews don't work on Saturday and some need ropes amont their houses so they can reach the corner store.  So, we put ropes everywhere to artificially extend one's backyard?  We don't employ Jews in situation where they might work on Saturday (hospitals, police, firemen, etc) ?

That's just silly.  If we put all cultures as equals for everything, there will never be a single day of work in this country and we might as well go back to have a king nominated for life with heriditary position.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Why are stupid people so in favour of fixed-date elections?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 02:45:10 PM
It is ridiculous, because they are a minority group,

I had no idea you were a Grallon sock puppet.

QuoteWhy are stupid people so in favour of fixed-date elections?

Agreed.  An adoptation from the American model which doesn't fit well in our system.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 03:00:44 PM
Asking 95% of the population to move their Christmas plan for elections is complicated.
Asking 0,3% of the population to vote in anticipation is not complicated.

It's a matter of practicality.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2013, 02:53:58 PM
Why are stupid people so in favour of fixed-date elections?
there are pros, there are cons. It doesn't fit well our system, true.  But it avoids the government shifting the date according to polls and spending public funds accordingly for various frivolous projects akin to those "pork barrels" of the US Congress.  They could still spend money, but it's far less effective when it's not properly timed.  And they are easy to recognize for what they are.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 03:15:04 PM
Asking 95% of the population to move their Christmas plan for elections is complicated.

Picking a date on which 0% of the population has no religious implication creates even less complication for the voters.

Jacob

Toxic spill in Alberta, apparently quite big: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/apache-pipeline-leaks-60000-barrels-of-salty-water-in-northwest-alberta/article12494371/

Is this the kind of thing that's the price of doing pipeline business and not really a big deal - and thus what we can expect with Northern Gateway should it come to pass? Or is this a big deal, but likely avoidable?

I didn't see this earlier, but apparently the BC Libs came out against the project: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/05/31/bc-northern-gateway-rejected.html

So where does that leave things with the project?

Neil

Isn't the project under federal jurisdiction?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2013, 06:57:01 PM
Isn't the project under federal jurisdiction?

I think so.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 03:21:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 03:15:04 PM

Picking a date on which 0% of the population has no religious implication creates even less complication for the voters.
When, there's one chance in 7 we'll hit something religious this particular day. 

crazy canuck

I think you meant week.  And there is more than  1 in 7 chance. ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2013, 06:03:22 PM
Toxic spill in Alberta, apparently quite big: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/apache-pipeline-leaks-60000-barrels-of-salty-water-in-northwest-alberta/article12494371/

Is this the kind of thing that's the price of doing pipeline business and not really a big deal - and thus what we can expect with Northern Gateway should it come to pass? Or is this a big deal, but likely avoidable?

I didn't see this earlier, but apparently the BC Libs came out against the project: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/05/31/bc-northern-gateway-rejected.html

So where does that leave things with the project?

I don't think it's right to call this a "toxic spill".  The substance is salt water that's produced as part of oil production.  It's certainly quite harmful to the environment and killed the trees and plant life in the affected area.  But "toxic"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.