News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2013, 02:20:10 PMI don't think it's right to call this a "toxic spill".  The substance is salt water that's produced as part of oil production.  It's certainly quite harmful to the environment and killed the trees and plant life in the affected area.  But "toxic"?

I dunno... the article I linked calls it that in the opening paragraph:
QuoteIt has been poisoned by a huge spill of 9.5 million litres of toxic waste from an oil and gas operation in northern Alberta, the third major leak in a region whose residents are now questioning whether enough is being done to maintain aging energy infrastructure.

Also,
QuoteBut information compiled by the Dene Tha suggests the toxic substance contains hydrocarbons, high levels of salt, sulphurous compounds, metals and naturally occurring radioactive materials, along with chemical solvents and additives used by the oil industry.

According to wikipedia Toxicity is the degree to which a substance can damage an organism. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic

If you don't want to call a salt water mixture that kills all the plants in the area toxic, that's fine by me. It was the term used in the article, however.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 02:45:10 PM
That's just silly.  If we put all cultures as equals for everything, there will never be a single day of work in this country and we might as well go back to have a king nominated for life with heriditary position.

You're right that your post and in particular this bit are silly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Does Justin Trudeau have bad judgment you ask?

Well let me tell you! :D

After getting elected as an MP our fearless would be leader agrees to speak at an old folks home charity fundraiser so that they can purchase some furniture.  But he doesnt do it as a public service like most MPs.  Nope our knight in shining armour charges 20k for the speaking engagement.  Then it turns out the fundraiser is a flop and the charity asks for him to refund the money because they have lost money.  Our paragon of all things good and liberal turns them down saying he complied with his contractual obligations and should be able to keep the money.

Now the legalities aside, did he think for one second that perhaps the reputational harm of not refunding the money might be worse than giving up the 20k.  Apparently not.

I think the NDP critic put it best actually.

QuoteIn an interview, NDP Ethics Critic Charlie Angus said most MPs speak at events, without a fee, as part of their jobs. "Really, straight-up, whatever happened to the notion of public service?" Mr. Angus said. "To me, it's a staggering amount of money to take from a charity. But to do it as a public official, as a member of parliament, I think is unconscionable."

Monoriu

At least you know he is in it for the money  ;)

Jacob

If true, that's a bit of a fuckup alright.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2013, 03:08:34 PM
That's just silly.  If we put all cultures as equals for everything, there will never be a single day of work in this country and we might as well go back to have a king nominated for life with heriditary position.

coming from an american, that's a bit weird, you know.  Assimilation to the american culture is and has been the norm since the founding of your country.

Texas just passed a law authorizing schools to celebrate christmas.  It's offensive to non Christians.  I guess america is racist.  Or just Texans?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

ulmont

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 10:50:33 AM
Texas just passed a law authorizing schools to celebrate christmas.  It's offensive to non Christians.  I guess america is racist.  Or just Texans?

Definitely Texans.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 10:50:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2013, 03:08:34 PM

coming from an american, that's a bit weird, you know.  Assimilation to the american culture is and has been the norm since the founding of your country.

Like ulmont said, Texas. Besides, America makes a lot of accommodations. I remember the shuttle bus from train to airport in bay area, had all the instructions not only in English and Spanish but also in Vietnamese.

Lastly, the particularly silly part was what you suggested you might as well do if you consider all cultures to be equal in a country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

To be fair, celebrating Christmas isn't actually offensive to non-christians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2013, 12:00:08 PM
Lastly, the particularly silly part was what you suggested you might as well do if you consider all cultures to be equal in a country.
Not all cultures are equal in a country, I do not believe that.  When people take every step necessary to not integrate in a society, it's bound for disaster and all you see is the appearance of extreme right political parties seeking ban on all immigration.

Immigrants should integrate to their new society, not the opposite.  Minor accomodations are possible.  Teaching people our languages is fine.  Helping them survive until they are able to find themselves a job is great. 

But allowing people to express religious beliefs continually in public, especially if there are dangers to the society (having a burka on to vote or for driving being examples, the kirpan being another) is a big no-no in my case.  No prayers in political assembly either, despite the appeal court's ruling on the subject.  Rights are for everyone, not for specific individuals.  If I have the right to do something, so have you.  But the opposite is also true.

Nobody tells you how to live your life.  But in some cases, there are rules to follow, and they should be the same for everyone otherwise it's chaos.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Not all cultures are equal in a country, I do not believe that.  When people take every step necessary to not integrate in a society, it's bound for disaster and all you see is the appearance of extreme right political parties seeking ban on all immigration.

Immigrants should integrate to their new society, not the opposite.  Minor accomodations are possible.  Teaching people our languages is fine.  Helping them survive until they are able to find themselves a job is great. 

But allowing people to express religious beliefs continually in public, especially if there are dangers to the society (having a burka on to vote or for driving being examples, the kirpan being another) is a big no-no in my case.  No prayers in political assembly either, despite the appeal court's ruling on the subject.  Rights are for everyone, not for specific individuals.  If I have the right to do something, so have you.  But the opposite is also true.

Nobody tells you how to live your life.  But in some cases, there are rules to follow, and they should be the same for everyone otherwise it's chaos.

Bullshit.

We went to the farmers market today, and bought some veggies from a local Hutterite colony.  They are a religious minority who has taken every step not to integrate into the wider society.  And despite coming to Canada about 100 years ago, they still have a very distinct language and culture.  And you know what?  As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then they're free to do it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2013, 12:46:59 PM
To be fair, celebrating Christmas isn't actually offensive to non-christians.
and who are you to decide?  Some people say they are offended.  You are intolerant of not thinking like them.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then they're free to do it.
Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2013, 03:58:58 PM

Bullshit.

We went to the farmers market today, and bought some veggies from a local Hutterite colony.  They are a religious minority who has taken every step not to integrate into the wider society.  And despite coming to Canada about 100 years ago, they still have a very distinct language and culture.  And you know what?  As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then they're free to do it.
Did they ask for any accomodation, any specific treatment that no one else can have?

Grey Fox

Strike!

So-so-solidarité!

I will atleast the reduction of gridlock while the Construction workers are on strike.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.