News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Remember how ugly Air Canada red-and-whites are?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on June 07, 2013, 06:05:41 PM
Remember how ugly Air Canada red-and-whites are?

I can't believe you would object to Camper seeing a huge Canadian flag on a plane flying into Seatac

Neil

I dunno, I like the way the blue looks, and I always approve of the roundel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on June 07, 2013, 06:33:38 PM
I dunno, I like the way the blue looks, and I always approve of the roundel.

The roundel looks nice, agreed.

It is sort of funny how the most prominent colour just happens to match the colour of the Conservatives. That said, it's the kind of touch that's perfectly acceptable as long as the government is otherwise doing its job. Ultimately it's inconsequential, except as a topic of conversation.

Josephus

It's a lot better than the military grey one, I'll say that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 08, 2013, 07:56:41 AM

I like the military grey one. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2013, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 08, 2013, 07:56:41 AM

I like the military grey one. :(

We can never agree on anything.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

The Military grey one was much better than this Blue bullshit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Funny thing in Quebec.

the political parties are debating a new bill to implement fixed date elections, 1st monday of October.
The Liberals say they are against the bill, because it is disrespectful to the Jewish community who may celebrate an important religious holiday around this time, and thus will be enable to vote.

2 days of intensive debates around this issue, the Liberals appeart to come out as champion of the minorities rights.
Then B'Nai B'rith comes out and says: "We don't care about fixed date election happening during our religious holiday, we have anticipated vote to circumvent the issue". 

Now the Libs look a little silly...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 08:58:43 AM

When they're not being silly they're being crooks in service of the mafia.  Loathsome clique.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on June 13, 2013, 09:56:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 08:58:43 AM

When they're not being silly they're being crooks in service of the mafia.  Loathsome clique.  <_<

G.
now, now, they're just as bad as the PQ.  But at least, they do less damage to our economy than the commie-wannabes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I am not sure how embarrassing this is.  In my experience it is normally considered good practice  to schedule events so that they do not fall on significant religious days.

The fact that a religious group has come forward to say that the will accomodate the slight doesnt mean selecting the date wasnt wrong in the first place.   

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 10:51:38 AM
I am not sure how embarrassing this is.  In my experience it is normally considered good practice  to schedule events so that they do not fall on significant religious days.
That's not necessarily possible with moveable feasts (like Easter) or religious groups who use a different calendar.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 10:56:02 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 10:51:38 AM
That's not necessarily possible with moveable feasts (like Easter) or religious groups who use a different calendar.

True, it is difficult.  But not impossible.  I organize an annual national convention and we always move the date to accomodate things like the High Holidays.

For fixed election dates it would be better to schedule during a time when it is least (or less) likely to conflict.

But my main point was to address the criticism that trying to avoid such things was somehow a bad or embarrassing thing.