And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on May 27, 2013, 03:16:25 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 27, 2013, 02:47:22 PM
The Toronto Star has stated that they do not pay for information. It's against its policy.
if they think they can get away with it, they'll do it.  Had he asked 2500$ for the tape, they would have made the check.

Oh. I guess you know their policy more than I do.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 03:46:13 PMWhat gives you that impression. :huh:

The relish with witch you castigate the journalist and focus on him and his practices and ignore the salacious bits emerging about Ford (like the firing of his chief of staff etc).

But I concede that you do not have to like Ford to do so.

HVC

Guess my joke hit comment might not have been far off :ph34r: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2013, 04:03:25 PM
The relish with witch you castigate the journalist and focus on him and his practices and ignore the salacious bits emerging about Ford (like the firing of his chief of staff etc).

I castigate the jounalist because it was bad journalism.  I have already stated in this thread that Ford is both a boob and it is difficult to understand why someone who had never smoked crack wouldnt just come out and say it.  Malthus' theory is likely correct. 

But, as you say, the fact that there was shoddy journalism and the fact that Ford is a boob are not mutually exclusive.

Jacob

Point conceded, except the bit in Malthus' theory about the escrow account.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2013, 04:03:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 03:46:13 PMWhat gives you that impression. :huh:

He's pointed out upthread that the way Ford is handling himself is giving the story legs. Which I agree with.

This is one of those cases in which each time I see one side make a move, I'm convinced that side is full of shit.

The press publishes a story about how Ford's brother used to deal pot 25 years ago? The press sounds like it is on a witchhunt. No way is that significant "news".

Ford gives a press conference, says in effect "I'm not addicted to crack and I'm not smoking it right now"? Sounds like he *was* smoking it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 04:11:59 PM
Ford gives a press conference, says in effect "I'm not addicted to crack and I'm not smoking it right now"? Sounds like he *was* smoking it.

:lol:

Yeah, no kidding.  the only good thing about this is it will give Communications people lots of good source material about how not to deal with an issue.

Neil

It's not that surprising that the chief of staff got fired.  If your boss is having a hard time regarding an accusation of crack-smokery that he heatedly denies, it might not be a good career move to tell him to go to rehab.

Still, given how much certain groups hate Ford, it's not out of bounds to think that they might be playing some US-style politics here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2013, 04:10:05 PM
Point conceded, except the bit in Malthus' theory about the escrow account.

If any reporter just handed over 200k to Somali drug dealers and simply trusted that they were going to recieve "the video" then they get what they deserve. ;)

HVC

His press secretary and assistant press secretary jumped ship today too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2013, 05:14:30 PM
His press secretary and assistant press secretary jumped ship today too.
Makes sense.  They've failed about as much as it's possible for someone in their positions to do so.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 04:45:33 PMIf any reporter just handed over 200k to Somali drug dealers and simply trusted that they were going to recieve "the video" then they get what they deserve. ;)

My policy is to avoid any kind of business dealings of any sort with Somali drug dealers. Nonetheless, I expect that they wouldn't be comfortable with escrow accounts until they reach the level where they have a lawyer on retainer - in part because that would prevent them from doing a runner as you and Malthus suggest.

Jacob

Two of Ford's senior aides resign: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/two-senior-members-of-toronto-mayor-rob-fords-staff-resign/article12168106/

His press secretary and the press secretary's assistant.

If the video never existed but was meant to cause trouble for Ford it was a masterful political strike; much more so than if it was real thing and some ambitious crooks tried to score a quarter million dollars in blackmail.