News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on May 17, 2013, 03:55:40 PM
I'm used to it. ;)
its a given, but they shouldn't say it to your face :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2013, 04:13:06 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 17, 2013, 03:55:40 PM
I'm used to it. ;)
its a given, but they shouldn't say it to your face :D

Meh, anyone who ardently argues that we should accept as truth that which has not yet been verified deserves what he gets.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 17, 2013, 02:40:37 PM
Does any of that mean he should be a good reporter.  And if so why did he not wait to find out whether the video was legit?
'cause they got scooped by some American "news" site, Gawker, actually.

Not wanting to lose their scoop, they published without confirmation, something they did not want to do at first.

Still silly to make news with that, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Does anyone know how the Senate gets its funding.  I would be favourably inclined to create some accountability with that funding or perhaps even be pursuaded it should be cut.

crazy canuck

Here is an interesting follow up story as to why all the pollsters got the BC election so wrong.  Executive summary - their polls sampled the general public and was not weighted for the people that actually vote. ie all the polls were over represented in the 18-35 age group which favoured the NDP (and had a low voter turnout) and under reprensented older age groups which favoured the Liberals (and had a high voter turnout).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/why-the-bc-polls-were-wrong-voters-arent-like-the-rest-of-us/article12057136/

The Churchill quote regarding the difference between a young and old man comes to mind.

Jacob

That seems like a pretty basic mistake to make...

Jacob

Re: Churchill - were you more of a left winger as a young man, CC?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:55:37 AM

Indeed I was.  You might even have called me a "progressive" back in the day.  Although the issues that mattered to me then have largely become entirely mainstream issues now.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2013, 11:58:40 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:55:37 AM

Indeed I was.  You might even have called me a "progressive" back in the day.  Although the issues that mattered to me then have largely become entirely mainstream issues now.

:hug:

Josephus

Looks like the Kickstarter campaign to buy the video of Mayor Ford has hit a bit of a snag:...they can't find the seller.

http://gawker.com/rob-ford-crackstarter-update-509596078
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2013, 05:35:57 PM
Looks like the Kickstarter campaign to buy the video of Mayor Ford has hit a bit of a snag:...they can't find the seller.

Perhaps they can no longer be found to recieve this money because maybe, just maybe, the video isnt what it seems to be...

On the other hand, the way Ford is handling this has given the story legs.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 24, 2013, 08:12:40 AM

Perhaps they can no longer be found to recieve this money because maybe, just maybe, the video isnt what it seems to be...

Yeah, it's hard to determine who is the more full of bullshit.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 24, 2013, 08:39:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 24, 2013, 08:12:40 AM

Yeah, it's hard to determine who is the more full of bullshit.  :lol:

:yes: