Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2013, 11:52:52 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 11:46:18 AM
About what?  :huh:

The escrow account for Somali crack dealers.

Assume you are a journalist.

How exactly would you protect yourself if you wanted to get this story? Would you just hand over 200K to some drug dealing dudes on their say-so? Perhaps in unmarked, used bills?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 01:02:36 PM

How exactly would you protect yourself if you wanted to get this story? Would you just hand over 200K to some drug dealing dudes on their say-so? Perhaps in unmarked, used bills?

Which is why none of the journalists did pay the dude when first approached.

But clearly somali crack dealer isn't going to deal with lawyers and escrow.  He wants cash.  The "guarantee of authenticity" was letting the journalist view the video before purchasing it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2013, 12:37:21 PM
Can a lawyer pay out the escrow for an illegal activity. As far as I know taping someone for finacial gain without their knowledge and consent is illegal in Canada.

Is a journalist paying an informant illegal?

The people organizing this sure don't act like they are committing an illegal act - it could not be more public.
but a newspaper could pay and refuse to name, but I don't think a lawyer can. If its for an illegal service then their hands are tied, right?

But BB says its ok, we'll kind of.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2013, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 01:02:36 PM

Which is why none of the journalists did pay the dude when first approached.

Well, and that they wanted a million dollars at first, which few journalists keep handy in their wallets.  :D

QuoteBut clearly somali crack dealer isn't going to deal with lawyers and escrow.  He wants cash.  The "guarantee of authenticity" was letting the journalist view the video before purchasing it.

And there is the problem. No-one is (I assume) going to be dumb enough to just pay in cash for some video without any ability to verify. "Yup, looks okay to me" simply isn't good enough these days, when fakery is so very easy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2013, 01:15:59 PM
Can a lawyer pay out the escrow for an illegal activity. As far as I know taping someone for finacial gain without their knowledge and consent is illegal in Canada.

The people organizing this sure don't act like they are committing an illegal act - it could not be more public.
but a newspaper could pay and refuse to name, but I don't think a lawyer can. If its for an illegal service then their hands are tied, right?

Allegedly, the guy (if Ford) who was videotaped knew he was being taped, and mugged for the camera - including making off-colour comments about Justin Trudeau.

Not sure if selling such a tape would be illegal. It depicts an illegal activity (allegedly).

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 01:20:12 PM

Allegedly, the guy (if Ford) who was videotaped knew he was being taped, and mugged for the camera - including making off-colour comments about Justin Trudeau.

Not sure if selling such a tape would be illegal. It depicts an illegal activity (allegedly).

Didn't the video supposedly end with the guy saying "you better not be taping this"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Yes, it allegedly does end with Ford saying that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2013, 01:23:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 01:20:12 PM

Didn't the video supposedly end with the guy saying "you better not be taping this"?

Depends on how it is said. Jokingly, it can mean the exact opposite - that he knows he's being taped and that it's a bad idea (but being stoned, he thinks it is funny). 

It isn't clear friom what I read that he's being taped without his knowledge.

viper37

Not illegal, but probably against their code of ethics.  In Quebec at least, it is "forbidden" by their professional order.  The quotes are because everyone knows they'll do it and there's no penalty for doing it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

The Toronto Star has stated that they do not pay for information. It's against its policy.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on May 27, 2013, 02:47:22 PM
The Toronto Star has stated that they do not pay for information. It's against its policy.
if they think they can get away with it, they'll do it.  Had he asked 2500$ for the tape, they would have made the check.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2013, 01:17:22 PM
And there is the problem. No-one is (I assume) going to be dumb enough to just pay in cash for some video without any ability to verify. "Yup, looks okay to me" simply isn't good enough these days, when fakery is so very easy.

The Somali drug dealers must have thought that if the reporter was dumb enough to report what he saw on their video as truth without authenticating the video then the reporter would also be dumb enough to hand over cash without verifying the authenticity of the video.

What the Somali drug dealers missed is that there was no harm to the reporter if he reported something he didnt bother to authenticate - that falls squarely on the shoulders of the person who is the subject of the story.  And since no one likes Ford then who cares whether it ever gets authenticated.  Right Jos?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 27, 2013, 02:09:35 PM
Not illegal, but probably against their code of ethics.

I dont think so. 

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 03:30:43 PM...since no one likes Ford then who cares whether it ever gets authenticated.

You seem to like him :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2013, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 03:30:43 PM...since no one likes Ford then who cares whether it ever gets authenticated.

You seem to like him :)

What gives you that impression. :huh: