And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:24:58 AM
What do you care about - political power, or "respect"? The two are not the same (and Quebec *has* its share of political power within Canada!)
Quebec has no power.  Really, if Quebec had power, the Feds wouldn't be helping NewFoundland to compete with our electricity export.  There wouldn't be a new Federal Securities Commission, and there would never have been a merger between Toronto and Montreal Stock Exchange, unless the majority of activites were centered in Montreal.

I'm sensing an excluded middle here.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:23:13 AM
Wake me up when Anglos start firing rockets over the border into Quebec.  :lol:

Are you, one again, vying with Marty for the "most absurd analogy" contest?
It was your own analogy a fews years ago on the Paradox forum, Malthus.  I simply borrowed it.
As I said, I'm not talking about the elimination of the Jewish people, simply that Israel should abandon its Jewish status.  Be a country like many other countries, be open to foreign immigration, namely muslim.  Not all muslim hates Israelis.  Jews could, maybe live in peace.  Or be force to assimilate to the muslim culture...  And there's certainly nothing wrong with assimilation, now?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:30:20 AM
What do you care about - political power, or "respect"? The two are not the same (and Quebec *has* its share of political power within Canada!)
Quebec has no power.  Really, if Quebec had power, the Feds wouldn't be helping NewFoundland to compete with our electricity export.  There wouldn't be a new Federal Securities Commission, and there would never have been a merger between Toronto and Montreal Stock Exchange, unless the majority of activites were centered in Montreal.

I'm sensing an excluded middle here.  :hmm:
Sponsorship scandal.   Yeah. that was about the extent of our power.  We got the Feds to fuck us all in the ass with our own money just to make us love Canada.  I guess that counts.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:31:07 AM

It was your own analogy a fews years ago on the Paradox forum, Malthus.  I simply borrowed it.
As I said, I'm not talking about the elimination of the Jewish people, simply that Israel should abandon its Jewish status.  Be a country like many other countries, be open to foreign immigration, namely muslim.  Not all muslim hates Israelis.  Jews could, maybe live in peace.  Or be force to assimilate to the muslim culture...  And there's certainly nothing wrong with assimilation, now?

Far be it for me to argue with something I said nearly a decade ago in an entirely different context ...  :lol:

But I do think that, in the future, any sort of attempt to keep Israel a "Jewish nation" is counter-productive, hopeless, and bound to fail.

That being noted, Israel is of course surrounded by nations that want it destroyed, and so opening itself up to assimilation and unlimited immigration cannot happen now. The "wanting Israel destroyed" bit must change first. I have hopes that, in the future, it will.

Note please that the "wanting X destroyed" factor is exactly what seperates Israel from Quebec - the RoC does not wish to decorate their streets with the severed heads of their Quebec enemies. Even Grallon doesn't go that far.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2011, 10:23:33 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2011, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2011, 10:08:58 AM
I wonder what the ROC hates more Toronto or Quebec.

I have no idea what ideological brainwashing caused French speaking Quebecers to think the ROC hates them or to think that if such hate existed that it would even come close to the hate for Toronto - the self described centre of the Universe.

Maclean's, The Toronto Media, the PCC.

Its funny, ROC was defined in this instance as the provinces outside of Quebec and Ontario and you guys still insist on two examples located in Toronto.  The third is weak at best - all you can really point to is some percieved slight in the communications department of the party.

Tell you the truth, if it wasnt for this forum I would have really no idea about all these percieved slights of yours.  The ROC does hate you.  The ROC doesnt really think of you all that much.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2011, 10:44:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2011, 10:23:33 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2011, 10:15:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2011, 10:08:58 AM
I wonder what the ROC hates more Toronto or Quebec.

I have no idea what ideological brainwashing caused French speaking Quebecers to think the ROC hates them or to think that if such hate existed that it would even come close to the hate for Toronto - the self described centre of the Universe.

Maclean's, The Toronto Media, the PCC.

Its funny, ROC was defined in this instance as the provinces outside of Quebec and Ontario and you guys still insist on two examples located in Toronto.  The third is weak at best - all you can really point to is some percieved slight in the communications department of the party.

Tell you the truth, if it wasnt for this forum I would have really no idea about all these percieved slights of yours.  The ROC does hate you.  The ROC doesnt really think of you all that much.

Eh, I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just telling you where we perceived it.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me because in the end you are still going to give us billions of dollars every year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2011, 10:49:08 AM
Eh, I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just telling you where we perceived it.

How is it that you pecieve that people in BC hate you if the reality is people in BC dont really pay attention to what is happening at that end of the Country.  All our important ties are south and across the Pacific.  There is a considerable conceit in your perception.

Grey Fox

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:13:19 AM
that's what I'm getting at.
Respect is given at gunpoint, or alternatively, when people need your money.
You have a twisted view of respect. These thing bring deference, not respect.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:37:48 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:31:07 AM

Far be it for me to argue with something I said nearly a decade ago in an entirely different context ...  :lol:

But I do think that, in the future, any sort of attempt to keep Israel a "Jewish nation" is counter-productive, hopeless, and bound to fail.

That being noted, Israel is of course surrounded by nations that want it destroyed, and so opening itself up to assimilation and unlimited immigration cannot happen now. The "wanting Israel destroyed" bit must change first. I have hopes that, in the future, it will.

Note please that the "wanting X destroyed" factor is exactly what seperates Israel from Quebec - the RoC does not wish to decorate their streets with the severed heads of their Quebec enemies. Even Grallon doesn't go that far.  :P
the majority of muslim probably don't want to kill baby Jews either.  But they'd be pretty happy with the disapearance of a Jewish distinct society.  Strangely, that's exactly a source of... dispute, between Canada and Quebec, Canadians having a hard time accepting that Quebec should be different.

HVC

Most canadians don't care if you want to be different (or at least the ones that even give that fact that quebec wasn't to a be different a second thought). They ( i, to be the most specific) just find it funny that you want to protect your right to be different as a minority in this nation while curtiailing the rights of minorities in your province to be different.

That and the hate-on for the queen. never knew about that one, but it's a tad amusing :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Wow.  Begrudging Newfoundland the exploitation of their natural resources?  That's just ridiculous.  I just can't take you seriously in this thread anymore.  This thread has made me less able to understand the greivances of Quebec, since according to you, it seems that their greivances include the thought that someone, somewhere might not live in abject poverty, and in so doing diminish Quebec.

You didn't see me whining and bitching when the feds were helping the Newfs drill offshore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

The Greviances of Viper! He's in own little world.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2011, 12:16:56 PM
Wow.  Begrudging Newfoundland the exploitation of their natural resources?  That's just ridiculous.  I just can't take you seriously in this thread anymore.  This thread has made me less able to understand the greivances of Quebec, since according to you, it seems that their greivances include the thought that someone, somewhere might not live in abject poverty, and in so doing diminish Quebec.

You didn't see me whining and bitching when the feds were helping the Newfs drill offshore.
One province receives an unfair advantage to directly compete another and you think it's to prevent them from living in abject poverty?
Oh, Jesus.  Might as well tell me that government subsidies are always a good thing.  What happenned with free market?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 08, 2011, 11:51:15 AM
Most canadians don't care if you want to be different (or at least the ones that even give that fact that quebec wasn't to a be different a second thought). They ( i, to be the most specific) just find it funny that you want to protect your right to be different as a minority in this nation while curtiailing the rights of minorities in your province to be different.
The rights of the minorities are not curtailed.  They can send their kids to any school they like, so long as it fits the curriculum of the Education dept, wich is the same for all kids.  We just don't subsidize english schools for everyone.

As for caring or not, well, given the tone of many of the G&M and National Post (and lately Sun News who went batshit insane with the possible collaboration of Gilles Duceppe in a CBC radio show), I do say they care.  I don't care about gay marriage.  Do you see posting every weeks about gay marriage?

That and the hate-on for the queen. never knew about that one, but it's a tad amusing :D
I can understand fantasizing on princes&princesses.  For a 10 year old girl...