News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2011, 10:08:58 AM
I wonder what the ROC hates more Toronto or Quebec.

Surely Alberta belongs in the discussion. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Toronto without a doubt. People are *proud* of hating Toronto, and quite open about it. Hating Quebec has a stigma to it.

People don't so much "hate" Alberta, as think it is populated by ignorant rednecks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2011, 09:55:18 AM
Alberta doesn't need respect.  We have money.   :menace:
that's what I'm getting at.
Respect is given at gunpoint, or alternatively, when people need your money.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2011, 10:09:52 AM

Surely Alberta belongs in the discussion. :(
The Greens hate Alberta more than anything else in the world, methinks.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:13:19 AM
So get money and the ROC will give you the respect you crave :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I have no idea what ideological brainwashing caused French speaking Quebecers to think the ROC hates them or to think that if such hate existed that it would even come close to the hate for Toronto - the self described centre of the Universe.

Now that the rhetoric of Torontonians has died down (interestly about the time they became a "have not province") the hate for Toronto is waning.  Soon the ROC will not hate Toronto at all and all that will be left is some segment of the Quebec population that believes the ROC hates them.

Malthus

Alberta doesn't need respect.  We have money.   :menace:

Disagree: both Toronto and Alberta have money and neither are "respected". Everyone in Canada hates Toronto, and Alberta is seen as full of ignorant (albeit wealthy) rednecks.

Sadly, even money doesn't buy you respect.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2011, 10:15:01 AM

I have no idea what ideological brainwashing caused French speaking Quebecers to think the ROC hates them or to think that if such hate existed that it would even come close to the hate for Toronto - the self described centre of the Universe.

Now that the rhetoric of Torontonians has died down (interestly about the time they became a "have not province") the hate for Toronto is waning.  Soon the ROC will not hate Toronto at all and all that will be left is some segment of the Quebec population that believes the ROC hates them.

Ontario as a whole is a "have not" province because of decline in the manufacturing sector. Toronto, whose money is in financing and services, still remains the uncrowned capital of the Universe.  :D

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:11:53 AM

Toronto without a doubt. People are *proud* of hating Toronto, and quite open about it. Hating Quebec has a stigma to it.

People don't so much "hate" Alberta, as think it is populated by ignorant rednecks.
Hating Quebec makes you sell copies, generate audience to your tv/radio shows or Youtube videos.
Hating Toronto is like hating Montreal or New York, it's a big city, people from remote areas are distrustful of city dwellers (with good reasons), but no one would seriously listen to you if you kept bitching at Toronto, and publishing that kind of articles in a Quebec newspapers, you would be mocked and ridiculed as some kind of extremist to wich no one but an handful of brainwashed fanatics listen to.

Hating Israel tough, that's popular.  No doubt about it.
But as Malthus conveniently pointed, it's ridiculous to care about such a thing, especially for a Jew.  If people say the Jews control the world, it's ok.  If people say Israel shouldn't exist as a Jewish nation, it's ok too, no one should really care about that.  Malthus was kind enough in the past to point me to similarities between Israel and Quebec, so I'm using it now :)
Israel should just adopt a tolerant policy on muslim immigration, starting with the refugees near their borders and give all Palestinians Israeli citizenship.  It's not like it's important to keep a distinctive culture from the rest of the area.  What harm could there possibly be?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:16:26 AM

Disagree: both Toronto and Alberta have money and neither are "respected". Everyone in Canada hates Toronto, and Alberta is seen as full of ignorant (albeit wealthy) rednecks.

Let's talk about Kyoto, to wich Alberta was always opposed.  How far along are we on this?
Then let's talk about that new SEC-like entity, wich strangely enough, was proposed the moment Ontario started voting for the Conservatives and there were good chances that Toronto would follow.

See, it's all about bargaining power.  Alberta has money, Ontario has manpower.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:11:53 AM

Hating Quebec makes you sell copies, generate audience to your tv/radio shows or Youtube videos.
Hating Toronto is like hating Montreal or New York, it's a big city, people from remote areas are distrustful of city dwellers (with good reasons), but no one would seriously listen to you if you kept bitching at Toronto, and publishing that kind of articles in a Quebec newspapers, you would be mocked and ridiculed as some kind of extremist to wich no one but an handful of brainwashed fanatics listen to.

Hating Israel tough, that's popular.  No doubt about it.
But as Malthus conveniently pointed, it's ridiculous to care about such a thing, especially for a Jew.  If people say the Jews control the world, it's ok.  If people say Israel shouldn't exist as a Jewish nation, it's ok too, no one should really care about that.  Malthus was kind enough in the past to point me to similarities between Israel and Quebec, so I'm using it now :)
Israel should just adopt a tolerant policy on muslim immigration, starting with the refugees near their borders and give all Palestinians Israeli citizenship.  It's not like it's important to keep a distinctive culture from the rest of the area.  What harm could there possibly be?

Wake me up when Anglos start firing rockets over the border into Quebec.  :lol:

Are you, one again, vying with Marty for the "most absurd analogy" contest?

Grey Fox

Maclean's, The Toronto Media, the PCC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2011, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:16:26 AM
Alberta doesn't need respect.  We have money.   :menace:

Let's talk about Kyoto, to wich Alberta was always opposed.  How far along are we on this?
Then let's talk about that new SEC-like entity, wich strangely enough, was proposed the moment Ontario started voting for the Conservatives and there were good chances that Toronto would follow.

See, it's all about bargaining power.  Alberta has money, Ontario has manpower.

What do you care about - political power, or "respect"? The two are not the same (and Quebec *has* its share of political power within Canada!)

viper37

I have no idea what ideological brainwashing caused French speaking Quebecers to think the ROC hates them
the articles I posted are not enough?  Didn't you read, just last week, one piece of shitty information coming from your media?  Once, it's a mistake.  Continuously, it's bashing.

I like Don Cherry, but he's often retarded.  Claiming French Canadians are cowards because they wear a visor, that was retarded.  If a French commentator had called English Canadians players "mindless brute", you can be sure that G&M would have had a field day with this :)

No one ever told the English Canadians to fuck off and pack their bags for England if they weren't happy with official bilinguism...  Though the "reminder" that "we" lost 1759 comes around every time there's talk about this policy.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2011, 10:24:58 AM
What do you care about - political power, or "respect"? The two are not the same (and Quebec *has* its share of political power within Canada!)
Quebec has no power.  Really, if Quebec had power, the Feds wouldn't be helping NewFoundland to compete with our electricity export.  There wouldn't be a new Federal Securities Commission, and there would never have been a merger between Toronto and Montreal Stock Exchange, unless the majority of activites were centered in Montreal.