News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I don't think Harper is celebrating.  The medium-term outlook of the Liberals just looked up though, as the NDP just became non-viable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

There will be a state funeral.

I'm actually reasonably impressed by the amount of class shown by political types of all stripes concerning Layton's death.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2011, 05:23:50 PM

I'm actually reasonably impressed by the amount of class shown by political types of all stripes concerning Layton's death.
Yeah, although some of the public reaction is starting to get a little mawkish I think.  If people show up at the funeral weeping ostentatiously and tearing at their clothes, I might become ill.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2011, 05:37:42 PM

Yeah, although some of the public reaction is starting to get a little mawkish I think.  If people show up at the funeral weeping ostentatiously and tearing at their clothes, I might become ill.

Public mawkishness is inevitable on occasions like this. Our culture positively encourages it.

So far though most of the talking heads have been like 'I never voted NDP, but everyone respected Jack as a decent guy and an honest politico', which hits the mark pretty well.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Honesty being relative, of course.  I think that basing half of his last campaign around Ignatieff's attendence in the House of Commons was a low blow, and there's the political fiefdom that his family holds in Toronto, but he wasn't all that bad.  I don't see how he was more honest or had more integrity than Ignatieff, he just had much more charisma and was far, far, far better managed.

Grey Fox

Ignatiff was (is) the University teacher that fails you for retarded reasons.
Layton was the fun Uncle.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I'm actually reasonably impressed by the amount of class shown...

I was wondering when Neil would try to turn things around.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2011, 11:10:23 AM
I'm actually reasonably impressed by the amount of class shown...
I was wondering when Neil would try to turn things around.
Fuck you.  He's been dead for a few days now, so it's not beyond the pale to point out that he wasn't a super-perfect ball of light.  Quit being such a faggot.

Gaius Marius

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 10:37:21 AM
Honesty being relative, of course.  I think that basing half of his last campaign around Ignatieff's attendence in the House of Commons was a low blow, and there's the political fiefdom that his family holds in Toronto, but he wasn't all that bad.  I don't see how he was more honest or had more integrity than Ignatieff, he just had much more charisma and was far, far, far better managed.

His 70% absent figure turned out to be a bit inaccurate (IIRC it was more like 59%), but I would say its more of an astute observation than a low-blow. He simply hit a theme that Joe Q. Public could understand - if I don't show up to work, do I expect a promotion? Most would not, so it was easy to make the connection. And well, Ignatieff left himself open to it by happening to have the worst attendance record of the leaders, particularly in relation to Layton and the Prime Minister.
First Man in Rome

Barrister

I've been following the "if you can't say anything nice about the recently deceased, then say nothing at all" strategy.

:zipped:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 11:30:09 AM
I've been following the "if you can't say anything nice about the recently deceased, then say nothing at all" strategy.

Almost as bad as Neil since there are a lot of good things that can be said about Layton.  No need to stand mute in these circumstances.  Harper certainly didnt.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2011, 11:40:42 AM

Almost as bad as Neil since there are a lot of good things that can be said about Layton.  No need to stand mute in these circumstances.  Harper certainly didnt.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gaius Marius on August 25, 2011, 11:29:00 AM
His 70% absent figure turned out to be a bit inaccurate (IIRC it was more like 59%), but I would say its more of an astute observation than a low-blow. He simply hit a theme that Joe Q. Public could understand - if I don't show up to work, do I expect a promotion? Most would not, so it was easy to make the connection. And well, Ignatieff left himself open to it by happening to have the worst attendance record of the leaders, particularly in relation to Layton and the Prime Minister.

Agreed.  It was the perfect position to take because what was Iggy going to say - "I was out trying to connect with Canadians".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 11:41:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2011, 11:40:42 AM

:lol: