News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 29, 2011, 11:31:47 AM
It is not really surprising that an English Quebecker is "the single most famous" author in the Anglophone world... Few people know him outside of the US or Canada, I would venture - certainly next to no one in the francophone world.  In the francophone world, "the single most respected" Quebec author might be Réjean Ducharme - who can with great difficulty be termed "famous" because he is a Salinger type of recluse. Contemporary more famous would be Danny Laferrière.

I'd make a case for Yves Beauchemin. His novel The Alley Cat is allegedly the top-selling Quebec novel of all time.

As for internationally famous, alas that would be Mordecai Richler. As notorious as he is in Quebec it is hard to support the notion that next to no-one in the francophone world has heard of him - unless Quebec isn't part of that world.

Ask any Quebec nationalist if they have heard of Richler ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on July 29, 2011, 11:33:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 09:22:26 AM
For non-Canadians of course it will be different, but I truly find it difficult to believe that any Canadian even slightly media-aware could not know what my aunt looks like - she's made herself a very public persona here and her face is in the news commenting on this or that with some regularity.
News is regional on the networks.  She might be all over the Toronto media, but we'd never know out here.

Does she look like you wearing a dress?

I've never worn a dress, and your interest in that is kinda disturbing.  :D

However, I have been told that there is a family resemblence.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Yes - and then it calls into question the often arbitrary nature of the "national" category to describe novellists. Would you consider Michael Ondaatje a Canadian writer? He moved to Canada when he was 19. Yann Martel might be of French Canadian descent, but I would hesitate to call him a "Quebec writer" - while Dany Laferrière, or perhaps more recently, Kim Thuy, touch upon realities that I feel have some form of echo either in our writing tradition or culture. If only because they reach into our relationship with the oral tradition - which perhaps also tie in with their Haitian or Vietnameese origin. Quebec's litterature is young - we've traditionally produced more tellers, raconteurs, folk signers than novellists.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 01:02:19 PMAs for internationally famous, alas that would be Mordecai Richler. As notorious as he is in Quebec it is hard to support the notion that next to no-one in the francophone world has heard of him - unless Quebec isn't part of that world.

Out of curiosity, I checked around a bit - and seeing as how Richler seems to have had a good readership in Germany, and two of his works translated into Spanish, you might be right. What I do know is that very few people in France know of him - and that translates to the majority of the francophone world, however much I would like Quebec to factor in more strongly. In France, only one of his novels have been published in a major editing house (Le monde de Barney). To get the others, you have to go through Quebec's publishing houses, which are difficult to get on the other side of the Atlantic. Compare that with Réjean Ducharme, who's 9 novels are published by Gallimard, one of which nominated for a Goncourt, your aunt, who is being published by Robert Laffond, or Laferrière, who won the Medicis prize, by Grasset.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on July 29, 2011, 09:07:44 AM
Yes.

In English. I read that famous short story about the Hockey Sweater. Roch Carrier. I read his book La Guerre Yes Sir which I really liked.

I also read Louis Hemon's Maria Chapdelaine. There may be others. I took three Can Lit courses in university so there was an awful lot.
I remember reading these, a long time ago, but I could never remember their authors... I must be bad with names.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on July 29, 2011, 09:59:59 AM
Then again, Céline was a French collaborationist and an anti-semite, doesn't stop him from being a great author. So maybe Viper can dissociate Richler the author, from Richler the asshole.
I was just telling that myself, that I should try to read his books with an open mind.  I had more than one occasion to pick one of his books, but never did... maybe one day.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Everyone should read Agaguk, by Yves Thériault.  This is among the best books I've ever read.

Capetan Mihali

Then again, Céline was a French collaborationist and an anti-semite, doesn't stop him from being a great author.

Indeed, probably my favorite.   :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 29, 2011, 02:14:31 PM
Everyone should read Agaguk, by Yves Thériault.  This is among the best books I've ever read.

Another Yves!

I swear, all Quebec writers have that first name.  :lol:

And I'll check out Agaguk ...

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2011, 11:19:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2011, 12:50:44 AM
My plug for CanLit is to suggest Viper read some early Douglas Coupland.  Or in the alternative (and in a totally different style) some Mordecai Richler.

I can already hear Viper gagging by this thought.

Most French Quebecers that have even heard of Richler would prefer to eat shit Salò-style than read his works. He has a bad reputation here as a Frog-hating jackass, did some dubious interventions on the whole French language issues in the late 80s and early 90s, and collectively we weren't exactly sad when he passed away.

In Quebec, Mordecai Richler is seen as a reminder of the "Speak White" attitude of a passed era, whether it is deserved or not.

Then again, Céline was a French collaborationist and an anti-semite, doesn't stop him from being a great author. So maybe Viper can dissociate Richler the author, from Richler the asshole.

I liked "Open Secrets" by Alice Munro in my English Literature class. So there, another suggestion.

I considered replying to GF "of course I've read a Quebec author - Mordecai Richler!" but I thought better of it.  ;) GF wanted a specifically french-Canadian author - but it would be amusing to troll you guys by pointing out that the single most famous Quebec author is of course not French-Canadian (and is cordially loathed by the Quebec nationalist types).

Yann Martel anyone?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zoupa on July 29, 2011, 07:03:53 PM
Yann Martel anyone?

Yes, I mentionned him in one of my post above - as I said he is of French Canadian descent (born in Salamanca, Spain), but his novels are more of an internationalist "bent" than from a local perspective. While both perspective can lead to unversalist "truths", I am not sure Martel "fits" in with Quebec tradition. I am sure some erudites on Martel's work could contradict me on that - but I am not seeing it.

Zoupa

I thought the category was most famous quebecois writer. Nobody's heard of Richler in Europe. He's mildly popular in anglo canada and maybe some parts of New England. Martell has sold millions.

Ed Anger

I've read  Richler's Oh Canada! Oh Quebec! Requiem for a Divided Country. I think I have a copy....somewhere.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2011, 07:41:56 PM
I've read  Richler's Oh Canada! Oh Quebec! Requiem for a Divided Country.

Why?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zoupa on July 29, 2011, 07:43:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2011, 07:41:56 PM
I've read  Richler's Oh Canada! Oh Quebec! Requiem for a Divided Country.

Why?

I am a man of the world.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive