News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Politics aside, they wouldn't make up quotes and allow the Fords to sue them. The Star has pretty decent journalistic standards.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 27, 2011, 10:57:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2011, 10:41:37 AM
Isn't it the mayor's brother she's going up against...a guy who says he's never heard of your aunt? Maybe if he spent more time in libraries as a kid instead of the candy shop. I mean like her or not, she's not exactly an obscure Canadian novelist.
He didn't say he never heard of her, just that he wouldn't know her if he saw her. Ain't much better, but it's different :P

OK, so he has never read one of her books - her picture is on the dustcover of each one.  And he hasn't seen the news for the last 20 years or so - even if he has not read on of her books (btw I am surprised that any literate Canadian has not read at least one) you would have to have lived under a rock not to know what she looks like.

Looks like she picked a pretty easy target.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 11:41:48 AM
I've never read anything she's written because she's a fiction writer, but I'd head of her in the media.

:lol:

I swear I didnt read this before I posted.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 10:42:42 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 27, 2011, 10:57:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2011, 10:41:37 AM
Isn't it the mayor's brother she's going up against...a guy who says he's never heard of your aunt? Maybe if he spent more time in libraries as a kid instead of the candy shop. I mean like her or not, she's not exactly an obscure Canadian novelist.
He didn't say he never heard of her, just that he wouldn't know her if he saw her. Ain't much better, but it's different :P

OK, so he has never read one of her books - her picture is on the dustcover of each one.  And he hasn't seen the news for the last 20 years or so - even if he has not read on of her books (btw I am surprised that any literate Canadian has not read at least one) you would have to have lived under a rock not to know what she looks like.

There are plenty of authors I've read that i have no idea what they look like. i see the picture on the dust cover then quickly forget. So it's possible that he read her, knows of her, but doesn't know what she looks like. Look, i'm not backing him, he's a dumbass on several levels, just that it seems to me that the quote was purposely mis-interpreted.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Atwood is a Canadian icon.  Sure there may be authors you would forget but Atwood?  That is just him admitting to a profound cultural illiteracy. Which is what makes the quote so relevant to this issue...

Neil

Atwood doesn't exactly make the news, and she writes novels, not TV programs, which means that she's outside the main stream of culture.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 11:02:51 AM
Atwood is a Canadian icon.  Sure there may be authors you would forget but Atwood?  That is just him admitting to a profound cultural illiteracy. Which is what makes the quote so relevant to this issue...
:rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

(btw I am surprised that any literate Canadian has not read at least one)
technically, I am Canadian, and I sure consider myself as literate... yet, I have never read of book from Malthus' aunt.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever read a book by any famous English Canadian writer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 28, 2011, 01:58:23 PM
technically, I am Canadian, and I sure consider myself as literate... yet, I have never read of book from Malthus' aunt.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever read a book by any famous English Canadian writer.

You may wish to re-consider.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Ok, she is an icon of English Canada.  And you really should read some English Canadian authors.  Some good stuff there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on July 28, 2011, 01:44:59 PM

Even you know who she is and what she looks like Neil.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 02:09:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 28, 2011, 01:44:59 PM
Even you know who she is and what she looks like Neil.
I don't know what she looks like, unless she looks like Malthus is a dress.  I do know her name, but I hold myself to a higher standard than I do the cultural mainstream.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 02:08:46 PM
Ok, she is an icon of English Canada.  And you really should read some English Canadian authors.  Some good stuff there.
I think I've read Ann of Green Gables when younger.  Not sure anymore.
It was hard to get access to english books until I was in my 20s and in Ottawa, and we didn't have to read english canadians authors in school, in fact, it was frowned upon to read non French or Quebec books.  I got better grades pretending to have read a book authored by someone in Quebec than actually reading a Tom Clancy book...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 28, 2011, 02:05:48 PM

You may wish to re-consider.  ;)
re-consider that I am Canadian?  It might happen, someday :P

Admiral Yi

My nephews and niece too part in a homeschooler production of Anne of Green Gables.  My God what a borefest.