News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

To be fair, CC, you're comparing apples to oranges. And I know you're going to retort with a "how?".

First you compare, or defend the comparison, of what this page did to a US Congressman and then to a prime minister and his cabinet.

She was, rightfully or wrongfully, doing a little bit of protesting to make a point--all harmless stuff. A congressman calling the president a liar is taking that a step further. Yes, the fact that he's a congressman makes all the difference. He should be above that.

And there's no point in bringing up the contempt of parliament shit again, because you've closed your ears to any reasonable discussion about that.

What this girl did was wrong, no one's arguing, but it was harmless and now she got fired, which she knew she would and no one, not even me or her, is complaining about that. She should have been fired.

And, I posted links to cartoons making fun of Layton's new cabinet. I wasn't offended by them, despite my ideological leanings. In other words, this to me was a cool thing to do for this girl's convictions, and I maintain that if she did the same thing to Layton I wouldn't feel any different.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 04:25:42 PM
Withholding information from parliament, when parliament was legally entitled to that information.

If the question were so open and shut as you seem to think it is one wonders why the opposition parties didnt ask the Speaker to rule as such. ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2011, 04:29:36 PM
whenever canadian politics come up you're a complete asswipe

Right back at you Zoups.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 06, 2011, 04:30:18 PM
She was, rightfully or wrongfully, doing a little bit of protesting to make a point--all harmless stuff. A congressman calling the president a liar is taking that a step further. Yes, the fact that he's a congressman makes all the difference. He should be above that.

First of all there is no rightly about it.   You have already said she knew she would "not get off".  That shows that she knew what she was doing was wrong.  We all know what she did was wrong.  Nobody would argue she should be able to keep her job because this was "all harmless stuff".

We have come to expect poor behaviour of partisan politicans.  The kind of behaviour by an employee of the House of Commons is far worse.

QuoteAnd there's no point in bringing up the contempt of parliament shit again, because you've closed your ears to any reasonable discussion about that

You mean I have brought up points that cannot be contested.

QuoteWhat this girl did was wrong, no one's arguing, but it was harmless and now she got fired, which she knew she would and no one, not even me or her, is complaining about that. She should have been fired.

See I told you there was no right about it.  What she did was not harmless.  She acted with contempt of the House and she should be treated as such.

QuoteAnd, I posted links to cartoons making fun of Layton's new cabinet. I wasn't offended by them, despite my ideological leanings. In other words, this to me was a cool thing to do for this girl's convictions, and I maintain that if she did the same thing to Layton I wouldn't feel any different.

And this is where you and I disagree most.  If she has such convictions that she could not serve in her postion she ought to have resigned and made a public statement as to why.  This conduct was not acceptable and certainly was not "cool".

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2011, 04:45:58 PMYou mean I have brought up points that cannot be contested.

No, that is not what he means grumb... erh... CC.

Malthus

I think the argument is that what this girl did was wrong, but a de minimis sort of wrong.

What Harper did may or may not have been wrong, but if it was wrong, it was more of a big deal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Josephus on June 06, 2011, 01:51:23 PMCome on it's a very gutsy thing to do. Carry that fucking sign up her skirt until the right moment, and then do it; and that this will probably follow her around for a while, is pretty gutsy. In my book.

You forgot that most people on Languish would prefer protests to be... well, non-existent.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ed Anger

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 06, 2011, 05:30:41 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 06, 2011, 01:51:23 PMCome on it's a very gutsy thing to do. Carry that fucking sign up her skirt until the right moment, and then do it; and that this will probably follow her around for a while, is pretty gutsy. In my book.

You forgot that most people on Languish would prefer protests to be... well, non-existent.

:yes:

Or in my case, protestors brutally beaten.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Thanks Malthus. I'll pay you my retainer. :lol:

One other thing, CC, and I'm not going to re-quote what you said. I just had dinner, and a thought came to me over my steak.

I don't know what the rules for contempt of parliament are. But if she broke them, then yeah, find her in contempt of parliament.

I've said all along she deserves whatever punishment is coming to her. I still praise her for doing it. She's cool in my books. Sort of like Mandela.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Camerus

Word is she got a job offer from CUPE.   :lol: :rolleyes:   Yi, I hope it's not still too late to jump on that union busting bandwagon.

Dumb, crude little bitch.  Being an obnoxious douche doesn't require balls, just stupidity and rudeness.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on June 06, 2011, 05:31:55 PM
I still praise her for doing it. She's cool in my books. Sort of like Mandela.

What she did was wrong, but praiseworthy and cool.  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 06, 2011, 05:34:51 PM
Yi, I hope it's not still too late to jump on that union busting bandwagon.

Hells no.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 06, 2011, 05:31:55 PM
I don't know what the rules for contempt of parliament are. But if she broke them, then yeah, find her in contempt of parliament.

Not worth it for the same reason Malthus stated.

And she is hardly in Mandela's league.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 06, 2011, 05:30:41 PM

Right, saying this was wrong is just like saying there should never be protests.

Admiral Yi

Protests are useful in that they provide people an opportunity to vent.  Otherwise, I don't see what purpose they serve.  We live in democracies, where issues are ultimately settled at the ballot box, not through louder and bigger protests.  We live in an age of mass communication, in which everyone has the opportunity to express their opinion.  We live in an age of round the clock opinion polling, in which opinions on virtually any issue are tabulated almost instantaneously.

In addition to venting protests also fills certain peoples' needs for attention and, perhaps, the need to belong to something greater than yourself.  I'm perfectly happy for people to fill those needs through protesting, as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's daily life.