And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2022, 05:54:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2022, 05:13:13 PM
I am not sure that is much of a threat.  It is going to be hard for anyone to prove a breach of any obligation to themselves (eg you trespassed on my land) and the tort of intentional interference with economic relations is also going to be hard to prove.  Combine that with the restrictions on the ability to recover damages for pure economic loss, absent a breach of contract, and it becomes a tough case to prove.

But as an in terrorem tactic, full marks.

I guess they'll find that out if they get independent legal advice.

I guess the organizers may get legal advice and tell their followers that, but then again... they'd probably say that no matter what. So best get independent legal advice.

That is what makes it a good in terrorem tactic, it sounds really scary and official and you need to actually pay someone to explain the limits of that risk before it becomes less scary.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2022, 05:13:13 PMI am not sure that is much of a threat.  It is going to be hard for anyone to prove a breach of any obligation to themselves (eg you trespassed on my land) and the tort of intentional interference with economic relations is also going to be hard to prove.  Combine that with the restrictions on the ability to recover damages for pure economic loss, absent a breach of contract, and it becomes a tough case to prove.

Also - I get the reasons these protesters are an issue and a problem - but that sounds dangerously close to the old way that companies could sue unions for loss of profit.

Again as with emergency laws - especially on financing - it seems like a dangerous precedent to set. From everything I've read or seen about this I cannot work out why ordinary legal measures aren't enough (frankly it seems like they haven't been tried) and why it's necessary to reach for all these extraordinary measures.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2022, 06:23:16 PM
I cancelled my subscription to the Economist some time ago because of shoddy reporting and analysis.  This confirms I made the correct decision.  It has really slipped.

I am glad what I quoted is factually incorrect.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2022, 07:05:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2022, 06:23:16 PM
I cancelled my subscription to the Economist some time ago because of shoddy reporting and analysis.  This confirms I made the correct decision.  It has really slipped.

I am glad what I quoted is factually incorrect.

It is not though.  That is the point.  :P

You have me curious now.  Why are you so certain that the Economist reporting regarding the bolded part is factually correct?  It is actually riddled with factual errors.  But it makes for really good rhetoric, I grant you that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2022, 06:39:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2022, 05:13:13 PMI am not sure that is much of a threat.  It is going to be hard for anyone to prove a breach of any obligation to themselves (eg you trespassed on my land) and the tort of intentional interference with economic relations is also going to be hard to prove.  Combine that with the restrictions on the ability to recover damages for pure economic loss, absent a breach of contract, and it becomes a tough case to prove.

Also - I get the reasons these protesters are an issue and a problem - but that sounds dangerously close to the old way that companies could sue unions for loss of profit.

Again as with emergency laws - especially on financing - it seems like a dangerous precedent to set. From everything I've read or seen about this I cannot work out why ordinary legal measures aren't enough (frankly it seems like they haven't been tried) and why it's necessary to reach for all these extraordinary measures.

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association has commenced legal proceedings to quash the invocation of the powers for essentially those reasons. 

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Tamara Lich (one of the convoy organizers) has been arrested.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2022, 03:46:17 PM

I mean did he though? He was pretty terrible at managing the economy...I mean without slave labor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2022, 10:24:14 PMI mean did he though? He was pretty terrible at managing the economy...I mean without slave labor.

As I understand it, Germany's economy under Hitler was almost entirely predicated on pillaging the wealth of those of its citizens deemed enemies, and then on pillaging the economies of the countries it conquered. Not really a balanced budget, IMO.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on February 17, 2022, 01:38:56 AM
T'as combien de Labatt dans le corps mon homme  :D
Molson salut les vrais!  :P

Pis j'étais sur ma tablette.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Looks like the police is getting ready to end the occupation: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-protests-downtown-frustrations-1.6355327

The repercussions for this are going to be felt in a number of ways, for quite a while.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 17, 2022, 04:33:24 AM
If so I have no idea who the FLQ is a symbol of English capitalism.
The FLQ considered all Federalists to be a symbol of the English Capital oppressing the French Canadians.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2022, 10:28:12 PM
@viper I've seen hundreds of videos on twitter and Instagram showing cops letting the Occupiers carry gas cans. Also saw selfies and smiles with them in the early days.

Hell, today I saw a picture and story where Cops had a car towed to make room for a protestors truck.
See, I don't go on Instagram, nor Twitter.
Allright, cops were overly friendly with the protesters.

I hope Ontario is more severe than Quebec usually is for protests.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2022, 10:33:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2022, 10:28:12 PM
@viper I've seen hundreds of videos on twitter and Instagram showing cops letting the Occupiers carry gas cans. Also saw selfies and smiles with them in the early days.

Hell, today I saw a picture and story where Cops had a car towed to make room for a protestors truck.
See, I don't go on Instagram, nor Twitter.
Allright, cops were overly friendly with the protesters.

I hope Ontario is more severe than Quebec usually is for protests.

Usually a good policy but in this particular case you are missing all the ways how who in the police & political class is with the Freedumbs & the Neo-Nazis of this movement.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

the problem I have is it is still selective information.

Neo nazis are likelier to post on social media than your average moron.

Someone above, Syt I think, posted a picture of trucks during the protests.  3 trucks, 3 Canadian flags.

Most reports I have seen indicate this: a lot more Canadian flags than anything else.  As it is expected of a Canadian protest.  You wouldn't notice 100 US flags in a US protest, but if there was 1 Russian flag, we'd see it immediatly.

And politically wise, since the police chose today, the day where the emergency measures act was to be debated in the House of Commons to act and prevented the MPs from attending parliament, well, that's not a coincidence, and it shows who's really running the show on the police side of things.