News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PRC

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

That video (and the man's Eagles sweatshirt) don't comport with the stereotypes of Canadian politeness I've been lead to believe.

Grey Fox

@viper I've seen hundreds of videos on twitter and Instagram showing cops letting the Occupiers carry gas cans. Also saw selfies and smiles with them in the early days.

Hell, today I saw a picture and story where Cops had a car towed to make room for a protestors truck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 16, 2022, 10:27:34 PM
That video (and the man's Eagles sweatshirt) don't comport with the stereotypes of Canadian politeness I've been lead to believe.

I recommend watching a show called trailer park boys.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 16, 2022, 10:28:12 PM
@viper I've seen hundreds of videos on twitter and Instagram showing cops letting the Occupiers carry gas cans. Also saw selfies and smiles with them in the early days.

Hell, today I saw a picture and story where Cops had a car towed to make room for a protestors truck.

Staged liberal propaganda :contract:

PRC

That guy is your average Canadian.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on February 16, 2022, 10:29:15 PM

I recommend watching a show called trailer park boys.

Letterkenney brings it occasionally as well....

HVC

I prefer letterkenny, but I think the other show is user to find.

Jacob

Quote from: PRC on February 16, 2022, 10:09:25 PM
Totally agree with one of those Reddit commenters...  this should be on one of those "Canadian Heritage" commercials in the future.

It already is a Heritage Moment: https://twitter.com/raincoaster/status/1494165855478890498?t=f56GidOa1rFMU3dP9ETD7w&s=19

crazy canuck

Fuck You, Fuck you, and Fuck you, go fuck yourself.

Yep.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 16, 2022, 08:29:07 PM
As an American with no firm grasp on Canadian law, I don't understand why the Prime Minister of Canada needed to use a never-before-used emergency enabling act piece of legislation to clear a bunch of trucks out of a city center. Does Canada not have typical ordinances and laws on the books already empowering the government to clear out such obstructions? It seems strange to me it would not.

I understand the financial aspects of the law that allow them to do some things with access to funding--but I'm not even super comfortable with that concept, it shouldn't generally be illegal in a free country to donate to a political cause you support. Especially not when they had made no good faith attempt to clean out the protesters before using this enabling act law, it's easy to claim the "well-funded" nature is why they haven't been able to dislodge them, but even a casual observer can note no real attempt had been made to dislodge them from Ottawa in the first place. Where attempts have been made in other parts of the country, They seemed to mostly be successful.

"Never before used law" is a bit misleading.  Canada had a law, since at least 1914, but possibly since the beginning in 1867; 1914 was the first time it was used, to intern Ukrainians, and shoot French Canadians protesting against the conscripton in 1917.  The law was in vigor for tuphe whole war.

It'used again for WWII, and this time the government used it to intern Japanese citizens, and of course crush any protest against conscription.

It was used in 1970 by Trudeau the elder to arrest any Parti Quebecois member they could get their hands on after stealing the member's list   they then provided them witha single, brightly lit rooom, albeit small, for many days and offered their prisoners a game of russian roulette, and other fun sports, but there were never more than one participant at the time, and the military police did not play themselves.

The city of Montreal was on lockdown, only the army could circulate at night.
To this day, a majority of Liberal supporters insist it was justified.

Meanwhile, the terrorist holding Quebec Minister Pierre Laporte were left alome with their charge, a few hundred metersnfrom the army/police command, until they excecuted this vile symbol of the english capitalism.

Flash forwardnto 1988, a new government, and itn8s trying to get Quebec to sign the Constitutiiom, over the dead bodiesmof the Trudeau momkeys who were apparrantly deaf, blind and mute dur8ng most  of this prior episode, where tuey mever saw anything objrpectionable aa excluding Quebec from the talkS.

The Conservatives enact this current law, based on the old one, but much more restrictive time.  Mainly, th3 gov now has t9 respect its own charter of rights ans liberties this time, so no  m9ck execution.. it can't be renewed indefinately either.

S9, mostly the same lawz but np shootmp firsr and settle later.

EDIT:
Fucked up the name.  Shouldn't post so late on my tablet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

T'as combien de Labatt dans le corps mon homme  :D

HVC

I assume jean laporte is supposed to be Pierre Laport? If so I have no idea who the FLQ is a symbol of English capitalism. I mean the rest of the rambling is odd too, but this one is especially weird lol