News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2021, 02:25:57 PM
then get your MP's vaccinated. wedge gone.
what about freedom of religion?  It ain't good anymore? :)
It is a way to get out of mandatory vaccination for federal employees.  But not for MPs? :)

This is why it's a wedge issue.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2021, 02:34:10 PM
what about freedom of religion?  It ain't good anymore? :)
It is a way to get out of mandatory vaccination for federal employees.  But not for MPs? :)

This is why it's a wedge issue.

when even the Mennonites tell people to get vaccinated the whole religious exemption seems lacking.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

The thing is though that MPs are not like ordinary federal government employees.  They are elected by the voters and answer to the voters, not to the PM.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2021, 02:46:19 PM

The thing is though that MPs are not like ordinary federal government employees.  They are elected by the voters and answer to the voters, not to the PM.

and they can still attend virtually, and thus can do their duties.

O'toole saying the government should be concentrating on fighting vaccine hesitancy while  coddling vaccine sceptics (to put it nicely) in his own party is asinine.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2021, 02:49:40 PM
and they can still attend virtually, and thus can do their duties.

O'toole saying the government should be concentrating on fighting vaccine hesitancy while  coddling vaccine sceptics (to put it nicely) in his own party is asinine.

I've been in courtrooms where one side is physically present, and another side is appearing remotely.  The remote appearance is nowhere near as effective.  An MP who can only appear remotely is a less effective MP.

HVC

then he's letting down his constituents by not getting vaccinated. People should show their displeasure and vote him or her out next time. it's the MP's actions or lack there of that's causing the harm. If they believed clothes were harmful could they show up naked? should they be allowed to because they were voted in?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2021, 02:35:37 PM
when even the Mennonites tell people to get vaccinated the whole religious exemption seems lacking.

The Supreme Court latest ruling on the subject is that the practice does not need to be followed by the group at large for a religious conviction to be sincere.

If Trudeau believes it is not a valid exemption, than why include it for Federal bureaucrats at all? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2021, 02:55:48 PM
then he's letting down his constituents by not getting vaccinated. People should show their displeasure and vote him or her out next time. it's the MP's actions or lack there of that's causing the harm.

I agree.  But Trudeau left open an exemption for some Federal employees.  But he does not want the same for the MPs.

Either remove that silliness for federal employees, or provide the same for Federal MPs.  No different treatment, end of story.
Those MPs will have to justify themselves in front of a judge, if need be.  But as it is, I am totally fine with the exact same rules as other Federal employees.  As silly as I find them.

QuoteIf they believed clothes were harmful could they show up naked? should they be allowed to because they were voted in?
If it was a sincere religious belief, most likely yes :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2021, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2021, 06:06:42 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2021, 10:07:35 PM
I fully support vaccine use and think Trudeau is using it as a wedge issue. :mellow:

Why is that?

Because that's what he does, and because he knows the Conservatives are vulnerable on this issue.  The Conservatives are the only ones who have not said all their MPs are vaccinated, but the majority of Canadians support vaccinations.

The conservatives are pandering to the same crowd Bernier is. That's on them. Anti-vaxxers have proven themselves to be people that do not believe in society. They should not be allowed to represent anyone in our democracy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2021, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2021, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2021, 06:06:42 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2021, 10:07:35 PM
I fully support vaccine use and think Trudeau is using it as a wedge issue. :mellow:

Why is that?

Because that's what he does, and because he knows the Conservatives are vulnerable on this issue.  The Conservatives are the only ones who have not said all their MPs are vaccinated, but the majority of Canadians support vaccinations.

The conservatives are pandering to the same crowd Bernier is. That's on them. Anti-vaxxers have proven themselves to be people that do not believe in society. They should not be allowed to represent anyone in our democracy.

According to the first stats I found on google, 6% of Canadians are insistent they will never be vaccinated, and a further 6% are vaccine hesitant.

I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of disenfranchising 13% of Canadians.

Grey Fox

We disenfranchise children all the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2021, 03:01:22 PM
They should not be allowed to represent anyone in our democracy.

I agree with the first part, but not this one.  as long as someone respects the rules of democracy (so far, the Cons have done better than the Libs on that ;) ), they have the rigth to represent the people that elect them.

The Federal govt is totally justified in mandating vaccination.  With the same rules for everybody.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2021, 03:06:58 PM
According to the first stats I found on google, 6% of Canadians are insistent they will never be vaccinated, and a further 6% are vaccine hesitant.

lawyer inflation?  6+6 =12 :P

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2021, 09:11:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2021, 03:06:58 PM

lawyer inflation?  6+6 =12 :P

Typo.  7% of Canadians insist they will never get vaccinated.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2021, 02:46:19 PM

Right MPs serve the public, so why are there some within the Conservative Party who refuse to do what is clearly in the public interest.