News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2021, 12:02:58 AM
So hospitalization and ICU rates continue to worsen in Alberta, though with maybe tentative signs that at least new infections has maybe peaked?  Unfortunately hospitalization rates (like, sadly, deaths) are lagging indicators.

A lot of pressure for a "firebreak" lockdown of probably 4 months.  Which I can see the logic of.  ICU rates are almost double the normal "max" capacity, which has led to a huge number of surgeries and other treatments being cancelled.  Lots of signs the hospitals are going to have to start triaging patients.

The response from Premier Kenney (*spit*) is that this is a crisis of the unvaccinated.  Which is true.  And the unvaccinated are the least likely to comply with any "lockdown" public health measures.  Which I can also see the logic of.  If you haven't gotten your vaccine by now you're really in an alternate reality.  And a "lockdown" has huge, massive downsides for everyone.

So I dunno what the right public policy measures here are.

The pressure you refer to is, as reported by the Globe and Mail, the recommendation of all the public health experts in the province.  We don't know what the PHO has recommended for the reasons we have discussed before.

Kenney is fighting for his political life and cannot piss off his knuckle dragging anti-vax anti COVID measures core.  And when you think about it, Kenney's justification for not following the medical advice makes no sense.  If schools are closed and you move to on-line learning, nobody is going to be sending their kids to school - whether they are knuckle draggers or not.

We know what the "right" policy measure is - that is what got the province into trouble in the first place - and continues to do  :P

The correct public policy measure is for the Premier to stop making political judgements to appease his base and instead follow the advice of the people who know what they are talking about.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2021, 12:02:58 AM
So hospitalization and ICU rates continue to worsen in Alberta, though with maybe tentative signs that at least new infections has maybe peaked?  Unfortunately hospitalization rates (like, sadly, deaths) are lagging indicators.

A lot of pressure for a "firebreak" lockdown of probably 4 months.  Which I can see the logic of.  ICU rates are almost double the normal "max" capacity, which has led to a huge number of surgeries and other treatments being cancelled.  Lots of signs the hospitals are going to have to start triaging patients.

The response from Premier Kenney (*spit*) is that this is a crisis of the unvaccinated.  Which is true.  And the unvaccinated are the least likely to comply with any "lockdown" public health measures.  Which I can also see the logic of.  If you haven't gotten your vaccine by now you're really in an alternate reality.  And a "lockdown" has huge, massive downsides for everyone.

So I dunno what the right public policy measures here are.
Impose more restrictions on non vaccinated people is the way to go.  Force mandatory testing in work places, schools, etc and forcefully isolate any unvaccinated patient.

But at this point, I even doubt this is gonna work to reduce the hospitalizations.  I fear everyone will have to make sacrifices.  And if it was just the unvaccinated, I couldn't care less.  But since it's the hospital staff and the people whose surgeries are cancelled because of these idiots...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2021, 08:59:02 AM
The correct public policy measure is for the Premier to stop making political judgements to appease his base and instead follow the advice of the people who know what they are talking about.
When Alberta lifted all restrictions last summer, including the mandatory isolation of positive cases, IIRC, the PHO was in agreement with that decision...  :hmm:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2021, 10:18:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2021, 08:59:02 AM
When Alberta lifted all restrictions last summer, including the mandatory isolation of positive cases, IIRC, the PHO was in agreement with that decision...  :hmm:

You must have not read all the posts we had on this subject, well actually you did - you responded to them.  :P

I don't wish to have to continually post the same information.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2021, 01:32:30 PM
You must have not read all the posts we had on this subject, well actually you did - you responded to them.  :P

I don't wish to have to continually post the same information.

I remember reading about it, but on this specific subject, it seems I remember the doctor saying it was scientifically sound and that was her recommendation.  I may misremember, thats's all.  Doesn't really matter.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2021, 02:19:56 PM
I remember reading about it, but on this specific subject, it seems I remember the doctor saying it was scientifically sound and that was her recommendation.  I may misremember, thats's all.  Doesn't really matter.

Dr Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health, did indeed say she agreed with Alberta's summer re-opening plan.

She has now said that was a mistake, but she never tried to deny saying (or feeling) it.

What happened is they mis-judged the impact of the delta variant (which is basically 100% of our Covid cases now).  They looked at a couple studies out of the UK that turns out to not have given them the best picture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2021, 02:24:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2021, 02:19:56 PM

Dr Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health, did indeed say she agreed with Alberta's summer re-opening plan.

She has now said that was a mistake, but she never tried to deny saying (or feeling) it.

What happened is they mis-judged the impact of the delta variant (which is basically 100% of our Covid cases now).  They looked at a couple studies out of the UK that turns out to not have given them the best picture.
Ah, I knew I didn't misremember! :)

Barrister

Trudeau spends the first National Truth and Reconciliation Day holidaying at Tofino.   :shutup:

Anyone out there get the day off, or do anything special to mark the occasion?  I had pre-existing court commitments so I just worked as normal.

Jacob

My place of work is closed, my wife's is not. My kid's school is closed.

I went and got some groceries, and several businesses were closed as well but I'd guess it was only about 10% or so. In my local neighbourhood I'd say 1 in 50 or so wore orange shirts. Maybe less.

My kid's school had "orange shirt day" yesterday (since they're closed today) and did some activities related to the day.

Barrister

Kenney announcing vaccine mandate for all public servants. :)  Looking at vaccine mandate for schools (need to work with school boards).  AHS already has vaccine mandate.

No further restrictions.

Edit: further details - medical (or maybe other) exemptions possible, you need to apply.  You can also come to work if you provide a negative test every three days, at your own expense.

Grey Fox

That's a good start.

Nothing was closed on this first orange day. Trudeau should not have picked the last day in September.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2021, 05:17:08 PM
Ridley Scott announces Napoleon and Gladiator 2.  Woah! :)

Wrong thread?  :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on September 30, 2021, 08:28:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2021, 05:17:08 PM
Ridley Scott announces Napoleon and Gladiator 2.  Woah! :)

Wrong thread?  :hmm:

It might trigger a new Federal election! :ph34r:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 30, 2021, 04:07:24 PM
Trudeau spends the first National Truth and Reconciliation Day holidaying at Tofino.   :shutup:

Anyone out there get the day off, or do anything special to mark the occasion?  I had pre-existing court commitments so I just worked as normal.
I work 12hrs from home.  Lots of problem at work <sigh>.
It ain't a mandatort day off in Quebec anyway.  They should have used Patriot's day/Queen's day instead.  No one ever does anything special there anyway, so it could have had some actual use.

viper37