News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Restrictions are starting to be loosened. 

Up to 10 people may gather at a park or beach
Up to 10 people may gather in the backyard of a residence

Habbaku

Are the CPC just absolutely stupid like the GOP here in the US?

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2021, 10:51:29 AM
Are the CPC just absolutely stupid like the GOP here in the US?

Wait... what?

1) What's the ballots vs jobs thing? What issue are they trying to leverage?

2) Uhm... I guess they messed up the phrasing? Because caring about saving Canadian jobs is a good thing, right?

I don't think the CPC is as absolutely stupid as the GOP, but whoever is involved in this tweet messed up.

Assuming it's real? You sure this is a real thing?

Oexmelin

It's real. It was obviously taken down - but not before being retweeted many times.

Jacob

Anyone know what the "jobs not ballots" thing is about?

Oexmelin

No idea. It seems they couldn't find the appropriate way to articulate "Trudeau only cares about political message, not Real Things(tm)" and "Trudeau can't do his job properly". They finally stumbled upon it with the message that replaced the above tweet: "Trudeau is more concerned about saving his job than doing his job"

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2021, 11:34:49 AM

Tons of political chatter that we're going to have a spring election - that's the "more concerned about his job" part.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 17, 2021, 11:52:22 AM
No idea. It seems they couldn't find the appropriate way to articulate "Trudeau only cares about political message, not Real Things(tm)" and "Trudeau can't do his job properly". They finally stumbled upon it with the message that replaced the above tweet: "Trudeau is more concerned about saving his job than doing his job"

This is not going to help the current tone of the editorial writers that the Cons really have no idea what they are doing.

crazy canuck

The Cons are terrified that the Liberals will call an election.  They must have really scared the Libs off with that attempt  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2021, 12:13:53 PM

Tons of political chatter that we're going to have a spring election - that's the "more concerned about his job" part.
Surely that'd be a very, very risky decision (purely from a political/perceptions angle) before you've broadly re-opened and got people inoculated?

I cannot imagine an easier attack line than someone going for an election in the middle of a crisis. At best it looks very opportunistic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Yes, the CPC is trying to emulate the GOP & the Tea party strategy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2021, 12:13:53 PM

I see. Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't get "this is the wrong time to call an election" from that message at all (even if I fixed it to be him caring about his job, not the jobs of Canadians).

I guess there's a decent case to be made that it's too soon since the last election vas Oct 2019, but I wonder how much traction it will get. I mean, shouldn't the opposition be "good, let's have an election to get rid of Trudeau"?

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 17, 2021, 11:52:22 AM

It's better in that it makes the point. Not sure it's a great point, though.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2021, 12:26:28 PM
Surely that'd be a very, very risky decision (purely from a political/perceptions angle) before you've broadly re-opened and got people inoculated?

I cannot imagine an easier attack line than someone going for an election in the middle of a crisis. At best it looks very opportunistic.

Not that risky in the Canadian context. There's been a number of provinical elections since covid, and IIRC each one has returned the sitting government with a stronger hand.