And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 19, 2021, 11:17:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2021, 11:04:30 AM
I am not denying that in certain parts of the country it exists, but I don't think this is a good example.

I am willing to accept that, but often the things that "stick" politically are not the best examples of a particularly egregious situation that otherwise exists. I do think it's more widespread than you think, and that it especially stands out as a "safe" low-level prejudice in an otherwise quite policed public discourse about these things. So, I don't lose sleep over that particular ad: it just gets filed away as "yet another example of..."

I am sorry to hear that it is so widespread.  Out here on the West coast it is not something we run into very often, or at least not in this area of the West coast.  :)

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 18, 2021, 11:29:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 17, 2021, 03:15:18 PM
The article is in French, but the tweet in question is in English:
Link

The Tweet

The man is a university professor.  At Ottawa U.  The same university that sanctionned a teacher for asking student to reflect on the empowerement procured by some offensive words by members of their community.  The same university that refused to defend its teacher when attacked by activist students.

In this case however, it is freedom of expression.

Long live Canada, the land of double standards :)

I'm not 100% sure I know the first incident you're talking about. Is it the one where a prof. talked about the n-word and how it has been reclaimed by some people, and then a bunch of black students and allies accused the prof. of being racist, and the prof. got the boot?
It was one student in her class, and the teacher discussed it with her and told he to reflect on this and bring the point to the next class for discussion.  All was well, then the student rallied her friend, and as typical leftist always do, they doxxed her, send her death threats and instead of protecting her, the University suspended her and let her fend for herself.  And English Canadian teachers were all siding with the activist students instead of their collegue while here, they are silent.  Not a peep.

So yeah, it's a similar situation: academic freedom.  In one case, insulting Quebecers is ok.  In another, just mentionning that black Americans use the word nigger among themselves was Evil because the teacher was white.

And yes, it is evidence of anti-French bias in this country.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2021, 07:55:47 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 19, 2021, 07:16:31 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2021, 06:59:28 PM
What does an add from a private immigration consulting firm have to do with English Canada issues?

That the RoC hates us.

This is an interesting case, the owner of the firm is a francophone. I'm guessing someone got fired yesterday.

So a francophone owned company sent out a flier, and that shows the the ROC hates francophones?

😄

Note that this is an add for an immigration service. It isn't even aimed at English Canadians!

An add, written by an immigration service aimed at non-Canadians, by a firm owned by a francophone, is somehow proof that the RoC hates Quebec.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

What does an add from a private immigration consulting firm have to do with English Canada issues?

It is so typical of anti-French bigotry to praise cultural aspects like Poutine while bemoaning the existence of French speakers. I guess they just want them to build Paris and Quebec City and develop French food and then die so all us decent English speakers can enjoy it.

Netflix recently released this godawful show called "Emily in Paris" recently that deeply enraged me as both an American and a lover of France. Granted I only caught a flew glimpses as my wife was watching it but they hit every shitty stereotype of how much we look down on them they could in such a short time.

Of course it got renewed for a second season. Ah well. What did I expect? Granted I am not exactly the target audience  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Is Canada on an immigration kick? Here's what I got as a top hit when I clicked on google doodle about start of Spring:

https://www.durhamimmigration.ca/en/moving-to-durham-region/weather---four-seasons.aspx
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2021, 06:02:02 AM
Is Canada on an immigration kick? Here's what I got as a top hit when I clicked on google doodle about start of Spring:

https://www.durhamimmigration.ca/en/moving-to-durham-region/weather---four-seasons.aspx

I live in Durham region and I concur we have four seasons.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2021, 06:02:02 AM

Immigrants are generally seen as good for the economy in Canada on the official level.

The immigration target for 2021 is a little over 400,000. Pre-Covid, the immigration target for 2021 was 350,000. My guess is that we fell short of our 2020 immigration targets due to the pandemic, and we are attempting to to make up for it.

So I'm guessing the answer to your question is "yes".

Oexmelin

Conservative delegates have voted against a motion recognizing climate change proposed by their own leader.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/conservative-party-members-vote-down-resolution-to-enshrine-reality-of-climate-change-1.5355406

Next on the agenda: finding a billionaire Twitter troll to lead the party.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 20, 2021, 11:31:58 AM
Conservative delegates have voted against a motion recognizing climate change proposed by their own leader.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/conservative-party-members-vote-down-resolution-to-enshrine-reality-of-climate-change-1.5355406

Next on the agenda: finding a billionaire Twitter troll to lead the party.

*shakes head*

Bad optics for sure.

But the party platform in the next election is sure to confirm climate change is real.  Party policy statements aren't exactly binding on the leadership.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2021, 11:38:05 AM
But the party platform in the next election is sure to confirm climate change is real.  Party policy statements aren't exactly binding on the leadership.

Glad to hear it.

It's still not entirely encouraging when the party leadership basically has to fight against its own committed militant base to establish fucking basic common sense. If the Conservatives want to convince people that they are not just an echo chamber of the horror freak show that American Conservatism is, it's certainly not great "optics".

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2021, 06:23:29 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2021, 07:55:47 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 19, 2021, 07:16:31 AM

That the RoC hates us.

This is an interesting case, the owner of the firm is a francophone. I'm guessing someone got fired yesterday.

So a francophone owned company sent out a flier, and that shows the the ROC hates francophones?

😄

Note that this is an add for an immigration service. It isn't even aimed at English Canadians!

An add, written by an immigration service aimed at non-Canadians, by a firm owned by a francophone, is somehow proof that the RoC hates Quebec.

At some point, a collection of anecdotal evidences becomes proof of something larger going on.

It's impossible to deduce from the George Floyd incident that there is a problem with racism in US police force.  Just like it's impossible to deduce from some random shooting of an unarmed black person sitting in its car.  But at some point, when there's a lot of it, you got to make your brain work a little more.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I don't argue that there is no anti-French/ anti-Quebec sentiment in English Canada. Living in Ottawa it was definitely a thing I encountered. And I have no reason to doubt the things I heard from my Franco-Ontarian and Quebecois friends either. I've seen a lot less (IIRC none) out here in BC though - I'd be curious  to hear Zoupa's perspective on anti-French sentiment out here, since I expect he's a lot more attuned to it.

That said, when anti-First Nations bias in Quebec results in the death of a First Nations woman - and shortly thereafter we see evidence of similar discrimination directed at First Nations people - it seems a bit rich to complain about anti-Quebec bias. How about you acknowledge the racism directed against First Nations first?

Like I said - I am not arguing that anti-French attitudes aren't real or anything like that. But that kind of highly charged rhetoric ("medical lynching" and "Alabama of the North") is in my observation just as readily directed at Anglo governments, provinces, and organizations so it doesn't seem particularly anti-Quebec except that in this case it's racism in Quebec triggering it.

I mean, if whats-his-name with the tweet is consistently anti-Quebec then fair play, he's anti-Quebec. But if he's consistently haranguing everyone because he's woker-than-thou then I don't think it's good evidence of any sort of anti-Quebec attitude in English Canada. And to expect people to jump to complain about bad things said about Quebec when the case involves Quebecois actively denigrating and discriminating against First Nations seems pretty off to me - especially as that pattern recently resulted in actual death.

As for the Francophone U of O professor who lost their job because of the whole N-word thing then yeah, from the reporting I saw the case leaves me pretty puzzled and the outcome seems both disproportionate and unfair to me. So barring any context I don't know about, I agree that that was pretty shitty. I'm not particularly convinced that the outcome would've been any different if it had been an Anglophone prof, though I could be wrong.

And the advert - yeah, I agree that it's an example of anti-French micro-aggression. Doesn't matter if the company is owned by a Francophone (unless they were aware of and okayed the ad specifically). Stating "people speak French" as a negative is pretty shitty and should not be done in a Canadian context (sub in "there are lots of Punjabi speakers" f. ex. as a negative and it's even more obvious), and that people don't see it as anti-French or anti-Quebec is in my view further evidence of anti-French/ anti-Quebecois sentiment in English speaking Canada. So I'm with Viper on this one.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on March 20, 2021, 02:22:58 PM
That said, when anti-First Nations bias in Quebec results in the death of a First Nations woman - and shortly thereafter we see evidence of similar discrimination directed at First Nations people - it seems a bit rich to complain about anti-Quebec bias. How about you acknowledge the racism directed against First Nations first?

Oh, absolutely. I do find it pretty disgusting when the very same people who are very keen on pointing at the long history of Quebec-bashing and anti-Francophone bias in English-Canada otherwise reject so forcefully the label of "systemic racism" applied to the situation re: First Nations in Quebec. At least, the cases of Joyce Echaquan and Jocelyne Ottawa have been covered abundantly (and generally quite well) by the press here.

Grey Fox

We might have over reacted with Jocelyne Ottawa tho. It's not a case of racism, it's case of being insensitive to the previous racist event and general untrustiness of POC toward healthcare systems.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.