And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 07:48:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2020, 11:33:32 AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that was the reasoning Singh would have.  That read a lot more like the reasoning of a Conservative rather than the leader of the NDP.
hence why Canada never had a NDP leader as its Prime Minister :P

Unsurprisingly Singh approaches politics differently from BB and the Conservatives. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2020, 09:19:26 AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that was the reasoning Singh would have.  That read a lot more like the reasoning of a Conservative rather than the leader of the NDP.

Unsurprisingly Singh approaches politics differently from BB and the Conservatives. 
Yes, he does.

But BB has a point: if you expect to be Prime Minister, you won't go revealing your personal opinion of foreign leaders, even foreign politicians on Twitter.  That's a Trumpesque move right there.

When you play poker, you keep your cards close, you don't go screaming your game at everyone.

Hence why he has likely already made a cross on being Prime Minister anytime soon.

Dictating your personal choices on a foreign election is just a big no-no.  Even when everyone* knows where you stand.

*Everyone who knows who Singh is, that is.  There are always aliens who don't know shit about politics amongst us, after all :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2020, 09:33:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2020, 09:19:26 AM

Yes, he does.

But BB has a point: if you expect to be Prime Minister, you won't go revealing your personal opinion of foreign leaders, even foreign politicians on Twitter.  That's a Trumpesque move right there.

When you play poker, you keep your cards close, you don't go screaming your game at everyone.

Hence why he has likely already made a cross on being Prime Minister anytime soon.

Dictating your personal choices on a foreign election is just a big no-no.  Even when everyone* knows where you stand.

*Everyone who knows who Singh is, that is.  There are always aliens who don't know shit about politics amongst us, after all :P

Those are all political judgments.  And so I repeat, unsurprisingly the leader of the NDP makes those judgments differently from a guy who supported Bernier.

Josephus

I doubt Singh lost a single supporter over this.

No one who plans or  will plan on voting NDP is gonna be pissed that he called out Trump.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2020, 12:32:20 PM

No one who plans or  will plan on voting NDP is gonna be pissed that he called out Trump.

Yep, if he had done as BB advised the reverse would have occurred.

viper37

that is not why diplomacy exists, you know.
The Liberal party always scored big by insulting Americans, it's Canada's 2nd national sport after Quebec bashing :P

The idea is, you try and not show any preference toward someone you may or may not have to work with in the future and you reserve your comments for a private audience.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2020, 08:43:19 PM

The Liberal party always scored big by insulting Americans, it's Canada's 2nd national sport after Quebec bashing :P

The idea is, you try and not show any preference toward someone you may or may not have to work with in the future and you reserve your comments for a private audience.

Thanks for the idea.  Singh is obviously not that interested in it.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2020, 08:43:19 PM

Meh Mexican politicians went decades saying "Fuck America" a few times a day in their elections and it never hurt our relations with them much.

Though at least they said it in a different language. Maybe if Singh said mean things about us in French it would work better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2020, 11:36:02 PM
Meh Mexican politicians went decades saying "Fuck America" a few times a day in their elections and it never hurt our relations with them much.

Though at least they said it in a different language. Maybe if Singh said mean things about us in French it would work better.

Forgive if me I thought the US-Canada bond was just a little closer than the US-Mexico relationship.  You know, since we're NATO allies, fought 2 world wars together, NORAD, 5 Eyes...

I mean - the US and Mexico have fought an actual war.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 12:34:42 AM

Forgive if me I thought the US-Canada bond was just a little closer than the US-Mexico relationship.  You know, since we're NATO allies, fought 2 world wars together, NORAD, 5 Eyes...

Mexico had the decency to get its ass kicked and hand over all its territory unlike Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 12:54:03 AM

Mexico had the decency to get its ass kicked and hand over all its territory unlike Canada.

That's only because you came at us too early while we still lived with mommy GB. Should have waited 50 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2020, 07:05:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 12:54:03 AM

That's only because you came at us too early while we still lived with mommy GB. Should have waited 50 years.

Heh there was also that Fenian nonsense. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

God Bless Canada sometimes. :)

While the US goes through it's mess, in Canada the issue du jour is that Whole Foods bans its employees from wearing a Rememberance Day poppy.  Now politicians of all stripes are speaking against that policy, with DOug Ford promising legislation, and the House of Commons passing a unanimous motion calling on employers to let their employees wear poppies.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/whole-foods-poppy-rule-reaction-1.5792281
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

What was your line the other day about important issues and waste of time?

This story, predictably, has zero resonnance here.

Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 06, 2020, 03:23:46 PM
What was your line the other day about important issues and waste of time?

This story, predictably, has zero resonnance here.

Didn't hear of it until I saw BB's post.  Must be a story in Conservative lands.