News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Medicago received Canadian research funds.  One of many of Canadian research efforts receiving Tri-Council funding to develop treatments and vaccines. 

Really not sure how extensive BB's research was.  Much of this is publicly available on Federal government websites.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2020, 09:23:58 AM
BB your facts are wrong.  There a number of Canadian research efforts that are about to start clinical trials.  One has just stated in a lab based in Quebec.

I'm not sure how you get to "your facts are wrong".  I said that there were Canadian efforts for a vaccine, but that none had started human testing.  "About to start" doesn't contradict what I said.

Then you mention one lab in Quebec - that had just started the same day I posted.  Sorry I wasn't immediately aware of the days news.

" Yeah - there are some vaccine candidates being developed in Canada.  None have started human testing - and these companies don't have the resources to do large-scale human testing without government assistance."

These companies do have the resources and they are being funded by the federal government.  Your notion that Canadian researchers were not able to commence human trials was wrong.  You would have seen that if you had checked the website that lists the many projects under way.  You would have seen that two had been approved for human testing before you made your post.

So, again not sure where you are getting your info.  Conservative sites?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2020, 10:41:58 AM
" Yeah - there are some vaccine candidates being developed in Canada.  None have started human testing - and these companies don't have the resources to do large-scale human testing without government assistance."

These companies do have the resources and they are being funded by the federal government.  Your notion that Canadian researchers were not able to commence human trials was wrong.  You would have seen that if you had checked the website that lists the many projects under way.  You would have seen that two had been approved for human testing before you made your post.

Phase 1 testing is not "large scale testing".  Phase 1 testing is providing the vaccine to a small number of people.  It's mostly testing to see if there are adverse reactions to the vaccine itself.

The only Canadian conservative news site I can think of is The Rebel, which is not a part of my regular media diet.  I've definitely seen news articles which quoted university-based vaccine scientists saying they wouldn't have the means to expand beyond initial testing without government assistance, and saying they hadn't received said assistance.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Almost all english print media is a conservative news site.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2020, 01:03:44 PM
Their owners are their owners.
Like CBC and Globe&Mail. The worst conservative news service in the country ;) :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 10:59:36 AM

Phase 1 testing is not "large scale testing".  Phase 1 testing is providing the vaccine to a small number of people.  It's mostly testing to see if there are adverse reactions to the vaccine itself.
I was wrong about the Canadian funding for Medicago.  Not sure about the other vaccine development, I'm guessing they had federal funding too.  I'm not sure if the province of Quebec has also financed the vaccine development, or is only involved in developping/testing remedies (that I know for sure).

Thing is, you can't have 30 companies developping a vaccine, or running after a cure, they will impede one another's efforts.  The pool of testing subjects is fixed, aged between 18&55, in general good health for vaccine development, there ain't 35 millions in that group.  And in that segment of population you need those able and willing to undergo testing: that leaves anyone unable to travel to a big city (in these 2 cases, Quebec city & MontrĂ©al).  Roughly 50% of the population gets eliminated just with this criteria.  Add in the others, and if all 30 companies would try to recruit from the same pool, they'd run into problems.

The US has had such problems with their research, too many companies trying to recruit participants for the same research and each rushing to produce results, it brings chaos, and also repetitions with more than one lab doing research on the exact same molecules.  That ends up slowing things down.

Just imagine your superiors would assign you 6 junior prosecutors for a simple theft case that would likely end up with a plea deal in exchange of an 18 month probation.  You won't accomplish the work 7 times faster.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I was explaining the WE issue to an American friend who recently immigrated.  She could not understand why anyone would care.  She commented that contracts are given out like this all the time in the US.  I explained the background of the Sponsorship Scandal and the penny dropped.  She commented, ah - so hubris.  My response - that is the Liberal party's greatest weakness summed up in one word.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2020, 10:59:36 AM

The only Canadian conservative news site I can think of is The Rebel, which is not a part of my regular media diet.  I've definitely seen news articles which quoted university-based vaccine scientists saying they wouldn't have the means to expand beyond initial testing without government assistance, and saying they hadn't received said assistance.

Well, where ever you got your misinformation, it is still wrong.  We routinely do large scale testing in Canada.  The vaccine testing will be no different.  The real cost is not in the trials but in developing the vaccine candidate in the first place.  Since Canadian labs have been working on the SARS virus for some time we were not strayed from scratch.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2020, 07:55:43 AM
I was explaining the WE issue to an American friend who recently immigrated.  She could not understand why anyone would care.  She commented that contracts are given out like this all the time in the US.  I explained the background of the Sponsorship Scandal and the penny dropped.  She commented, ah - so hubris.  My response - that is the Liberal party's greatest weakness summed up in one word.

:hmm:

Yes.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2020, 08:35:41 AM

:hmm:

Yes.

No that's OUI not WE
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

They called UNIS in french, for some reason.

viper37

My response - that is the Liberal party's greatest weakness summed up in one word.
yeah, kinda.  But they can get away with just about any kind of shit, even corruption and overt racism, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they will still get away with this.  People don't value honesty, when it's a left wing party.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2020, 12:42:48 AM
My response - that is the Liberal party's greatest weakness summed up in one word.
yeah, kinda.  But they can get away with just about any kind of shit, even corruption and overt racism, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they will still get away with this.  People don't value honesty, when it's a left wing party.

The problem is a lack of an alternative.  More than ever, we miss Layton.