News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

May is also a really bad coast to coast leader.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Josephus

Quote from: saskganesh on October 18, 2019, 04:17:14 PM

338 wrote a thought experiment article  for Maclean's (which still has no paywall, which is awesome) suggesting that under a regional PR system they would have much more: 32, more than the BQ.

But under FTP, they are still landing on the beach.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/a-338canada-projection-if-proportional-representation-was-real/
thanks for that link.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2019, 04:36:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2019, 04:32:43 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2019, 03:52:18 PM
I thought Greens would do better, not that I care much for them, but still. 338 still has them at 3.9 seats with a +- of  2.9

many thought this would be their breakout year.
The environment isn't as important to electors as people say it is.

Yeah, that is the lesson to be learned  :rolleyes:

If Scheer wins, there may be some truth to that unfortunately.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

We are never going to convince the core climate deniers in the Conservative party.  And so long as people like BB look the other way and stick to their tribe the Conservatives are always going to have a core vote in the 30% range.

That they may form government speaks to the frailties of a fptp electoral system, not that people don't think climate change is an important issue.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2019, 08:03:32 AM
We are never going to convince the core climate deniers in the Conservative party.  And so long as people like BB look the other way and stick to their tribe the Conservatives are always going to have a core vote in the 30% range.

That they may form government speaks to the frailties of a fptp electoral system, not that people don't think climate change is an important issue.

You're up early  :lol:

The good news is that today 338canada.com has the Liberals back in front again. It's going to be a close race Monday, that's for sure.

crazy canuck

Actually this is my sleep in day  :)

Most weekdays I am the gym by 5:30.  Doesn't open till 7 on weekends.

On the election, I don't take much comfort in a Liberal government either.  The analysis done by the CBC I posted a while back on all the climate change platforms shows that while they are better it is only moderately so.

I think a minority is for the best.

Josephus

Yeah, I'm fine with a Trudeau minority too.

Grey Fox

so We can get to do this again in mid 2021?

Zoupa

It baffles the mind how anybody in 2019 can still vote for Liberals or Conservatives.

The liberals campaigned and won last time on a specific platform, very little of which they enacted. Where's my goddamn election reform for example? The conservatives are disqualified from being a serious political party based on their environmental "plan" alone.

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on October 19, 2019, 02:51:42 PM
It baffles the mind how anybody in 2019 can still vote for Liberals or Conservatives.

The liberals campaigned and won last time on a specific platform, very little of which they enacted. Where's my goddamn election reform for example? The conservatives are disqualified from being a serious political party based on their environmental "plan" alone.

Actually I've read the liberals fulfilled 90 per cent of their campaign promises.

n short, the experts found that by March of this year Trudeau's government had entirely followed through on about 50 per cent of its pledges, partially delivered on about 40 per cent and had broken roughly 10 per cent.

That's actually a pretty good record

Grey Fox

Today is decision day! If you are in Ontario go out and vote.

For everyone else, no need to bother, we all live in sureshot ridings.

crazy canuck

You folks back East can wait past midnight your time to see the early BC results roll in.  We will all probably have to wait a couple of weeks to see the final seat count after recounts and perhaps longer to see who will form government.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 10:40:44 AM
You folks back East can wait past midnight your time to see the early BC results roll in.  We will all probably have to wait a couple of weeks to see the final seat count after recounts and perhaps longer to see who will form government.

Think so? I think Trudeau should get a minority, and a pluarlity of seats. No one else will have a claim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2019, 11:00:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 10:40:44 AM

Think so? I think Trudeau should get a minority, and a pluarlity of seats. No one else will have a claim.

Really depends on the vote count and what Singh and May, if her support is also necessary, decide to do.  Remember it took weeks to figure out who would govern BC, mainly because the Greens were weighing their options.  If I was advising them I would be telling them to make a deal that demands PR and not drop the ball like the BC Greens did.