News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I figured Ted Danson's infamous blackface appearance in 1993 and the ensuing fallout would have been enough to scare anyone (celebrity or not) away from doing that.

Obviously it's sad and embarrassing that it has happened at any point in time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 19, 2019, 10:12:13 AM
I figured Ted Danson's infamous blackface appearance in 1993 and the ensuing fallout would have been enough to scare anyone (celebrity or not) away from doing that.

Obviously it's sad and embarrassing that it has happened at any point in time.

I mean I get if you are 90 years old and some pic shows up of your performing in black face from 1947 pops up. But partying in 2001? I am amazed none of his friends felt uncomfortable about it and said something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Quote from: PRC on September 19, 2019, 09:56:14 AM
Okay, he is a serial blackfacer.  Any normal, non-high profile candidate of any of the major parties would likely be forced to step down over this.  Is he going to resign!?  Last night I thought it would be an apology and let's move on, but with the incidents piling up I can't see that happening.  What made this type of costume appeal to him back then?

All seems to be from the same party.

It seems people have forgotten that Trudeau is a ditsy schmuck who used to throw himself down flights of stairs for the lols.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2019, 10:20:50 AM
Okay, he is a serial blackfacer.  Any normal, non-high profile candidate of any of the major parties would likely be forced to step down over this.  Is he going to resign!?  Last night I thought it would be an apology and let's move on, but with the incidents piling up I can't see that happening.  What made this type of costume appeal to him back then?

All seems to be from the same party.

It seems people have forgotten that Trudeau is a ditsy schmuck who used to throw himself down flights of stairs for the lols.

It's not from the same party, these are separate instances: https://globalnews.ca/news/5922861/justin-trudeau-brownface-video/

1. Aladddin
2. Jamaican singing Day-O
3. Just a random blackface Wednesday.

Grey Fox

Valmy

Yeah he was always a goofy dude. I was looking forward to making tons of fun of Canadians for this clown being their PM but then my stupid country had to go elect our own clown.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2019, 10:43:42 AM

Yeah he was always a goofy dude. I was looking forward to making tons of fun of Canadians for this clown being their PM but then my stupid country had to go elect our own clown.

Trump is going to invite Trudeau to the White House Halloween party.

Barrister

What made this type of costume appeal to him back then?

It's not just "back then":

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Grey Fox

Atleast, in this picture, he's actually in India.

Barrister

I really don't think voters care too much about black or brownface.  The Virginia Governor, who had high school pictures of him surface, hasn't really been hurt in the polls.  Although there is a world of difference between doing something foolish as a highschool student compared to as a highschool teacher.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2019, 08:19:55 AMComing from a politician like him, though, it seems to add fuel to the fire that he's a hypocrite and his 'wokeness' a sham.

I only know about this because I heard it on the Beeb. Will he have to eat his own cooking on this?  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2019, 12:01:38 PM
What made this type of costume appeal to him back then?

It's not just "back then":

I like how HIS son is saying "WTF dad?" I'll vote for him 1n 20 years.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2019, 12:18:10 PM
I really don't think voters care too much about black or brownface.  The Virginia Governor, who had high school pictures of him surface, hasn't really been hurt in the polls.  Although there is a world of difference between doing something foolish as a highschool student compared to as a highschool teacher.

I agree but I think the damage to Trudeau is two fold, he lied about it - which plays into the SNC issue and he is portrayed himself differently.  I think Scheer badly misplayed this - the pictures don't show that Trudeau is unfit to govern.  If that was true then Scheer is equally unfit to govern for things Scheer has done in the past.  Scheer could have simply said - Trudeau, not as advertised and moved on to the issues the Conservatives want to emphasize.

This isn't going to convince people to vote for another party necessarily, but I think it is going to do a lot to keep people home on voting day.  Trudeau in 2015 was able to energize a lot of people to come out and vote.  That is likely not going to happen this time around.  As you have told us before, part of politics is not necessary convincing people to vote for your candidate but also is convincing people not to vote for their preferred candidate - Trudeau just did that in spades.