News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

See this is because he didn't know the original story. Aladdin was originally Chinese so he should have been in yellow face.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

That's embarrassing.  I doubt it moves the needle on him at all though.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on September 18, 2019, 11:19:54 PM
That's embarrassing.  I doubt it moves the needle on him at all though.

Okay, so I've gone on record before, and will not change my position, that you can't judge a politician based on what they did 10, 20 30 years or more ago.  So this goes for Trudeau as well.

But... there is a level of hypocrisy here too that amuses me.  The Liberals have been dragging out Scheer's speeches from 2005 on gay marriage.  Trudeau of course is the arch-progressive - and here he admits to brownface (and blackface in high school).

If this can help put to rest this kind of historical "gotcha" type politics I'm all for it.  And if it hurts Trudeau at the polls... well I won't be sad.

By the way, I imagine Jagmeet Singh is going to have a field day with this one...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

You know what is the most surprising thing about this story?

That this scoop was from Time freaking magazine...

https://time.com/5680759/justin-trudeau-brownface-photo/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

In ca. 2005,  many people,  including people of goodwill, had doubts or questions about gay marriage.

In 2001, I can't recall anyone thinking it was appropriate to dress up in blackface or brownface.

But of course, as always, the harsh rules that Trudeau sets for others don't apply to him.

HVC

he was dressed up as Aladdin at a arts school. it'd be different if he dressed up in brown face and went to protest the Indian embassy or something. context matters. it'd be incredibly stupid to dress up in brown or black face now, but in 2001 as part of a costume? Colour* me unimpressed by the shock.

* :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

How did no one find that back in 2015?

You are right, BB, all our leaders are dumbasses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Rex Francorum

Yeah, I think the same. That was overblowned.
Back to lurking.  :ph34r:
To rent

Camerus

IMO the main reason it's damning is that Trudeau is someone who frequently makes use of progressive outrage culture to blame and condemn others, dress up his policies, etc. Indeed he's virtually an empty vessel apart from his (professed) ideology.

So yet again we see him being hypocritical with a set of double standards for others vs. himself, in this case as regards past actions captured in film.

Malthus

Quote from: Camerus on September 19, 2019, 07:52:45 AM
IMO the main reason it's damning is that Trudeau is someone who frequently makes use of progressive outrage culture to blame and condemn others, dress up his policies, etc. Indeed he's virtually an empty vessel apart from his (professed) ideology.

So yet again we see him being hypocritical with a set of double standards for others vs. himself, in this case as regards past actions captured in film.

"Because it's 2015!" is going to come back to haunt him.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-trudeau-liberal-government-cabinet-1.3304590

The implication is that certain issues are simply a matter of inevitable progress and social norms, the violation of which is just obviously wrong ... which is of course what the reaction will be to his wearing "brownface".

That said - many Canadians find the outrage over a costume choice a molehill made into a mountain. Coming from a politician like him, though, it seems to add fuel to the fire that he's a hypocrite and his 'wokeness' a sham.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Now a second, and third instance surfaced.  How many times did he do this?? :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2019, 07:37:22 AM
he was dressed up as Aladdin at a arts school. it'd be different if he dressed up in brown face and went to protest the Indian embassy or something. context matters. it'd be incredibly stupid to dress up in brown or black face now, but in 2001 as part of a costume? Colour* me unimpressed by the shock.

* :P

It isn't an arts school.  Is that what the Libs are saying in Ontario?

I don't think it would be much of a story but for the image he has portrayed since the last election which perhaps explains why now.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2019, 08:54:54 AM

It isn't an arts school.  Is that what the Libs are saying in Ontario?

I heard on the radio that it was while he was a teacher at a arts school as I was coming into work, but it I may have misheard.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Okay, he is a serial blackfacer.  Any normal, non-high profile candidate of any of the major parties would likely be forced to step down over this.  Is he going to resign!?  Last night I thought it would be an apology and let's move on, but with the incidents piling up I can't see that happening.  What made this type of costume appeal to him back then?