News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2018, 05:21:58 PM
It's not like he's snooping through family photo albums looking for pictures of girls in bikinis. Instagram models are there, for the vast majority, to get attention and likes. If they're big enough the get money for those likes (indirectly through sponsorships). Just seems odd. Either they want to avoid the look of it, married man sending dick pics to one girl (or catfisher that requested it), or his denial of other incidents wasn't specific enough and it bit him in the ass. I personally lean to the former as an option.

Again, that's assuming he wasn't sliding into DM's and being obnoxious, which so far hasn't been said about him.

But "Scheer said Wednesday new evidence has come to light to suggest this incident was not isolated — and that Clement is alleged to have engaged in similar behaviour in the past."

You guys seem to not want to put two and two together.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
It's not like he's snooping through family photo albums looking for pictures of girls in bikinis. Instagram models are there, for the vast majority, to get attention and likes. If they're big enough the get money for those likes (indirectly through sponsorships). Just seems odd. Either they want to avoid the look of it, married man sending dick pics to one girl (or catfisher that requested it), or his denial of other incidents wasn't specific enough and it bit him in the ass. I personally lean to the former as an option.

Again, that's assuming he wasn't sliding into DM's and being obnoxious, which so far hasn't been said about him.

But "Scheer said Wednesday new evidence has come to light to suggest this incident was not isolated — and that Clement is alleged to have engaged in similar behaviour in the past."

You guys seem to want to not put two and two together.

I think it likely there are other cases of him sending dick pics, which Scheer knows about but we don't.

Time will tell, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2018, 05:32:22 PM

You guys seem to want to not put two and two together.

I think it likely there are other cases of him sending dick pics, which Scheer knows about but we don't.

Time will tell, though.

I think it has to be something like that.  Scheer didn't go from giving him a pass on the first dick pic to removing him simply because he liked some photos on Instagram.

Barrister

No, I always said that was possible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

If Anthony Weiner (hehe weiner) has taught anything it's totally possible. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Heard on the radio driving home from work, that it's a lot worse than liking instagram models. Apparently he's admitting to "mulitple infidelities."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 06:00:12 PM

No, I always said that was possible.

Yes, sorry, I did not have you in mind when I made that comment.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 08, 2018, 06:18:32 PM
Apparently he's admitting to "mulitple infidelities."
bah.

None of my concern, really.  But I guess in ultra conservative territory it's an issue.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

What do think of this quote BB

"How do we defeat today's totalitarianism? You've got to think about the common characteristics. It doesn't matter whether it's a hammer and sickle for communism, or whether it's the swastika for Nazi Germany or whether it's a rainbow flag, the underlying thing is a hostility to individual freedoms," said some Alberta Conservative named Carpay.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2018, 07:57:46 PM

"How do we defeat today's totalitarianism? You've got to think about the common characteristics. It doesn't matter whether it's a hammer and sickle for communism, or whether it's the swastika for Nazi Germany or whether it's a rainbow flag, the underlying thing is a hostility to individual freedoms," said some Alberta Conservative named Carpay.

Just read a CBC article on this guy and the quote you added so here is the story...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/john-carpay-pride-flags-swastikas-1.4901229

Calgary lawyer challenging gay-straight alliance bill compares pride flags to swastikas

John Carpay is a UCP member who Jason Kenney once compared favourably to civil-rights activist Rosa Parks

Sarah Rieger · CBC News · Posted: Nov 11, 2018 12:02 PM MT

The United Conservative Party should remove a member who compared rainbow pride flags to swastikas, says an LGBTQ advocate.

On Saturday, Calgary lawyer John Carpay, with the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, spoke at a conference organized by Rebel Media, a far-right media organization that has been criticized for sympathetic coverage of white supremacy.

"How do we defeat today's totalitarianism? You've got to think about the common characteristics. It doesn't matter whether it's a hammer and sickle for communism, or whether it's the swastika for Nazi Germany or whether it's a rainbow flag, the underlying thing is a hostility to individual freedoms," Carpay said.

Carpay told CBC News in a phone interview that the 30-second clip gives an incorrect impression that he's "equating different belief systems" and doesn't do justice to his 20-minute presentation, which focused on the "nature of totalitarianism."

"I'm saying that totalitarianism has common characteristics and then I'm saying it doesn't matter what external symbol is being used when freedoms are under attack," Carpay said.

"We have to defend the free society. It doesn't matter what the external symbol might be for an ideology, what matters is our fundamental freedoms being attacked and what are we doing to defend them."

Carpay said examples of freedoms being under attack include anti-LGBT protestors being removed from college campuses and Alberta government Bill 24, which protects students from being outed by teachers if they join a gay-straight alliance.

He later apologized in an emailed statement for "unintentionally" drawing the comparison.

Carpay's statement is posted in full at the bottom of this article.

Other speakers at the event included Conservative Saskatoon MP Brad Trost and People's Party of Canada leader Maxime Bernier.

Carpay is the lawyer behind a lawsuit challenging Alberta's Bill 24.

In arguments before the court, he alleged that gay-straight alliances — peer-support groups that are meant to tackle bullying and provide supportive environments for LGBTQ students — are "ideological sexual clubs."

"I thought the comments were absolutely offensive and require immediate action," said Kristopher Wells, an LGBTQ advocate and associate professor at MacEwan University in Edmonton who specializes in sexual and gender minority youth.

"The true motivations are crystal-clear now of the kind of hate and homophobia behind this kind of opposition. I think Jason Kenney needs to immediately suspend this person from the UCP party and denounce this kind of homophobic hatred."

Christine Myatt, a spokesperson for UCP leader Jason Kenney, provided the following emailed statement in response to Carpay's comments:

"Of course we do not believe the rainbow flag has any equivalency to fascism and communism — ideologies that have been responsible for the deaths of well over 100 million people.

"The UCP is a big-tent party that supports the rule of law, equality of all before the law, and protection of the fundamental rights and freedoms of all. In that light, the UCP hosted Pride breakfasts in both Edmonton and Calgary this year."

Carpay is a UCP member who spoke to resolutions at the party's policy convention this spring.

In 2017, Kenney spoke at a Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms event, comparing Carpay's work to that of civil-rights activist Rosa Parks and asking people to donate to Carpay's organization.

Last month, Kenney disavowed a former campaign worker with ties to white supremacy and cancelled his UCP membership.

The leader said at the time he was looking to create a database to screen out extremists from seeking party memberships.

Kenney's spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether Carpay's views about the LGBTQ flag would qualify him as an extremist member of the party.

"To equate the Nazis with the movement for equality for LGBTQ people is abhorrent," said Duncan Kinney, the executive director of left-leaning advocacy group Progress Alberta.

"Jason Kenney was just in the media last week talking about how he's going to create a database to keep extremists out of the UCP. This is an extremist in his ranks ... Kenney has spoken warmly about the human rights work Carpay has done."

Carpay's comment drew negative reaction on social media, with Conservative Alberta MP Michelle Rempel echoing Kinney's sentiment in a tweet Sunday, saying, "The Nazis persecuted, killed and tortured LGBTQ ... In no universe, even some esoteric academic one, should the rainbow flag & the struggle for an end to the persecution of LGBTQ be equated to a Nazi symbol."

Edmonton talk radio host Ryan Jespersen tweeted Carpay is no longer welcome on his show after his comments at the Rebel Media event.

A Rebel Media reporter, Keean Bexte, took to social media to support Carpay, saying that if Kenney decides to terminate Carpay's membership, he and others at the conference will cancel their memberships. That tweet has since been deleted.

Wells said he's worried homophobia is on the rise, and called on all parties to denounce anti-LGBTQ hate speech.

"I think all parties and leaders should be denouncing this kind of homophobia, it just has no place in our society, in fact I believe the Alberta bar association should look at revoking this individual's membership to practise law in Alberta with these kind of hateful and discriminatory attitudes," Wells said.

"Some of the rhetoric we're hearing from UCP party members and candidates, it emboldens people to come out with these hateful attitudes and start to dehumanize and attack minority groups who are very vulnerable in our society."

An audio clip of Jason Kenney also came out recently (may have been released before but I just came across it) where Kenney spouts off on blocking gay adoption and "defunding abortion".  This was apparently during an introduction of Stockwell Day so he was playing to the audience. 

Here is that audio clip: https://mobile.twitter.com/kylemmorrow/status/1062047588025798657?s=21&fbclid=IwAR2CuIl2J984VP-hN9YGI_wt11iX4YY2K4euD-pvxkiTufMawmwlprypq38

Jason Kenney and the party he helms should not be rewarded with anyone's vote in Alberta.

Barrister

John Carpay.  I know that guy from back in the day.

Quick googling suggests he already apologized for the comment.  There's a hint of a worthwhile comment there, but clearly equating a rainbow flag with a swastika is madness.  Not until the gays start murdering millions of people (which isn't going to happen, to be clear) can you even think of making such a comparison.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2018, 08:51:09 PM

John Carpay.  I know that guy from back in the day.

Quick googling suggests he already apologized for the comment.  There's a hint of a worthwhile comment there, but clearly equating a rainbow flag with a swastika is madness.  Not until the gays start murdering millions of people (which isn't going to happen, to be clear) can you even think of making such a comparison.

He apologized for making the comparison yes, but he seems to firmly believe that recognition of gay rights is wrong.  My question to you is how comfortable are you politically associating yourself with such people?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2018, 08:51:09 PM

I mean sure he was sorry for claiming that Gay Rights is associated with Genocide but his core point was that it is a sign of fucking totalitarianism. I mean it was always claimed how defending the rights of black people was tyranny and anti-freedom and so forth so as an American that kind of talk pisses me off. I am sorry your human right to not recognize other's human rights have been violated...oh the tyrannical injustice!!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

I for one welcome our new gay totalitarian overlords.  :D

I take it his point was that the external symbols don't matter, but the way he phrased it intentionally bracketed the symbol of gay rights with those for Nazi and Communist tyranny. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius