News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 02:34:23 PM
Hid in basement after the shooting at the Parliement.

I'm being unfair, dude just had PTSD after the attack.
I can't find anything about this, nor do I remember anything odd happenning at the time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2018, 02:38:04 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2018, 02:19:32 PM
So, it isn't that "liking" Instagram posts is the transgression, more that it is treated as confirmatory evidence he's the kind of dude likely to send out dick pics to strangers. 
but so far, "making young women uncomfortable" is all liking Instagram posts/pictures.
And they all said there was nothing else: no picks, no sexting, nothing really inapropriate.

I don't know what Scheer asked Clement, but in the same situation, you ask me "is there any other stories of you sending naked pictures of yourself" and I answer no, that's not lying when someone else comes forward to say I liked her posts.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the liking of Instagram pics is the "other incidents" being referred to.

At least according to that article, which seems to be saying that the "liking" of Instagram pics makes it believable he'd engage in things like sending dick pics.

My completely unsubstantiated guess is that Clement swore up and down the blackmail incident was the only time he'd done anything like that ... only for lots of women to come forward with emails of him sexting them. These other incidents haven't been made public yet, maybe because the women wish to remain anonymous (understandably).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2018, 02:45:07 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2018, 02:38:04 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2018, 02:19:32 PM
So, it isn't that "liking" Instagram posts is the transgression, more that it is treated as confirmatory evidence he's the kind of dude likely to send out dick pics to strangers. 
but so far, "making young women uncomfortable" is all liking Instagram posts/pictures.
And they all said there was nothing else: no picks, no sexting, nothing really inapropriate.

I don't know what Scheer asked Clement, but in the same situation, you ask me "is there any other stories of you sending naked pictures of yourself" and I answer no, that's not lying when someone else comes forward to say I liked her posts.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the liking of Instagram pics is the "other incidents" being referred to.

At least according to that article, which seems to be saying that the "liking" of Instagram pics makes it believable he'd engage in things like sending dick pics.

My completely unsubstantiated guess is that Clement swore up and down the blackmail incident was the only time he'd done anything like that ... only for lots of women to come forward with emails of him sexting them. These other incidents haven't been made public yet, maybe because the women wish to remain anonymous (understandably).

but all those that came forward explicitely said there was nothing truly inapropriate, except contacting them.

My guess is, it looks like he's cheating on his wife (well, admittedly, I'm not aware of his private arrangements, but in a couple, if I'm sending dick pics to another woman, I'd say I'm cheating...), and the Cons can't afford to have this kind of debate affecting their morality stance.

In other words, if Clement was a Liberal MP, he'd still be part of the caucus.

Here is what I've read so far:
Tony Clement crossed a line

I often like FB posts/pictures of women I know.  I think I even liked the new profile picture of a 13 year old I know on FB.  I never envisionned myself as a perv for doing that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2018, 03:17:38 PM
I often like FB posts/pictures of women I know.  I think I even liked the new profile picture of a 13 year old I know on FB.  I never envisionned myself as a perv for doing that.

Bit of a difference between liking someone you know, and a random young woman on Instagram.

Maybe five years ago, this would have been investigated further before the instant dismissal, but in today's #METOO shoot first, don't ask questions later world, this has become the norm.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

But this wasn't an instant dismissal.  Scheer took him at his word that there was only one isolated incident. 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2018, 04:20:56 PM
But this wasn't an instant dismissal.  Scheer took him at his word that there was only one isolated incident.

It's not quite clear that the "aggressive liking" and the sexting incident are related in any way, other than being "stuff done on the internet".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 08, 2018, 04:20:56 PM

It's not quite clear that the "aggressive liking" and the sexting incident are related in any way, other than being "stuff done on the internet".

non sequitur.  I was addressing Josephus' comment that this was another me too moment.  In fact Scheer did ask for Clements version of events and did not dismiss first and ask questions later.

Malthus

I post my pictures (artwork only) on Instagram, and I think pillorying someone for liking photos on it makes zero sense.

Instagram, at least the public features on it, is expressly for public photo sharing, and the whole point is to gain likes and followers from complete strangers - if you make your account public. Which you are under no obligation to do. If you want to share photos with your friends only, there is a feature that allows you to do just that. If you use that feature, only people you accept can see your photos. 

"Mass liking", that is someone coming along and liking all (or many) of your photos, is common. It doesn't mean harassment. Harassment would be sending repeated messages, or ones with inappropriate content.

That said, I still don't think the "liking photos on Instagram" had anything to do with Clement's dismissal. That, I think, was for lying about sexting, a very different matter.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Aren't Instagram likes anonymous?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2018, 04:28:51 PM
Aren't Instagram likes anonymous?

You can see who likes. The accounts though can be anonymous, if you want them to be. If you put your name on your account, though, people can see it is you (assuming of course someone hasn't used your name for their account).

I just got a bunch of likes and a follower: mysterious-twins-fandom liked two of my pictures, and saddie_sanchez is now following me. Saddie_sanchez has a private account; if I want to see (her?) posts, I have to follow her. 

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2018, 04:26:54 PM
I post my pictures (artwork only) on Instagram, and I think pillorying someone for liking photos on it makes zero sense.

Instagram, at least the public features on it, is expressly for public photo sharing, and the whole point is to gain likes and followers from complete strangers - if you make your account public. Which you are under no obligation to do. If you want to share photos with your friends only, there is a feature that allows you to do just that. If you use that feature, only people you accept can see your photos. 

I mean I get it a little bit.  It does come across as odd to mass like someone, when those likes are only pictures of the women themselves.  Not family pictures, or pets or dogs - just of good looking women.

But that's about as far as it goes I think.  A bit creepy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

If one thinks he was doing it because he appreciated the artistry of the photos, it was a little bit creepy.  But does anyone really think that is what he was doing?

HVC

It's not like he's snooping through family photo albums looking for pictures of girls in bikinis. Instagram models are there, for the vast majority, to get attention and likes. If they're big enough the get money for those likes (indirectly through sponsorships). Just seems odd. Either they want to avoid the look of it, married man sending dick pics to one girl (or catfisher that requested it), or his denial of other incidents wasn't specific enough and it bit him in the ass. I personally lean to the former as an option.

Again, that's assuming he wasn't sliding into DM's and being obnoxious, which so far hasn't been said about him.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.