News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 10:33:41 AM
Ok. Announcing that a major source of jobs and income is going to be phased out is going to politically make some people unhappy no matter how justified or strategic that phasing out is.
I totally agree.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Saskatchewan was the latest province to fold against the Feds.  Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and New-Brunswick have also signed seperate deals with the Feds.

Provincial consensus is a myth.  When pressured/bribed enough, they falter.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

That's nothing new.

We hold steadfast with Ontario or we fail. The others are small players that will fold.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2017, 02:42:22 PM
It shows Trudeau just doesn't "get" Alberta.

Just like Alberta not "getting" that, when facing a structural deficit, refusing to create or raise taxes and instead betting their chips on an oil production process which highly dependable on a constantly high market price to be economically viable so to fill its treasure chests, is not sustainable long-term?

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2017, 11:59:04 AM
That's nothing new.

We hold steadfast with Ontario or we fail. The others are small players that will fold.
In the end, it will be Alberta and Quebec standing alone.  And then Alberta will betray us.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 01:56:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2017, 11:59:04 AM
That's nothing new.

In the end, it will be Alberta and Quebec standing alone.  And then Alberta will betray us.

Yes especially since he'll throw them a bone after weeks of pissing them off about Sands.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2017, 02:21:21 PM
Yes especially since he'll throw them a bone after weeks of pissing them off about Sands.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. Trudeau will talk a bit of shit about the oil industry to appease that part of his constituency, but when it comes to actual action he'll be solidly supportive of the industry.

Ironically, it'll mostly be judged on style rather than substance so BB and his ilk will claim that Trudeau is terribly against them and their interests, and the not-too-hardcore part of the anti-tarsand constituency (i.e. the majority) will be satisfied with vague statements of future intent.

Syt

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/18/justin-trudeau-refuses-to-answer-questions-in-english

QuoteJustin Trudeau refuses to answer questions in English

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Justin Trudeau refused Tuesday to respond in English to several questions put to him in English in Sherbrooke, Que., telling the town hall meeting that because he was in Quebec he would speak French.

Ironically, one of the English questions put to Trudeau was about the availability of English-language mental health services.

The Sherbrooke event was Trudeau's seventh town hall question-and-answer session since last Thursday. But it was the first one he's held in the province of Quebec.

He held another town hall Tuesday morning in the officially bilingual province of New Brunswick but no one at that Fredericton town hall put any questions to him in French.

He did get a French-language question at a town hall last week in Peterborough, Ont. and, there, chose to respond in English.

The tradition on Parliament Hill or in press conferences is that bilingual politicians, like Trudeau, will answer a question in the language used by the MP or a journalist who asked the question.

According to the most recent data from Statistics Canada, about 42% of the approximately 200,000 people in the Sherbrooke area are bilingual, able to speak and understand both official languages.

Of the 10,000 in the region who listed English as their mother tongue, 77% were also able to speak French.

Sherbrooke is also home to Bishop's University, where English is the language of most instruction.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Très bien dit, Monsieur le premier ministre -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

So - the Conservative leadership race - who are the main contenders, what do they stand for, and who do you support, who do you loathe, and who would be okay you suppose?

I ask because I haven't followed it at all, so I look to languish to be informed :)

Grey Fox

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

PRC

At this point Micheal Chong is the only Conservative that would seem to appeal to the broadest range of Canadians in a general election, but I do not think he has a chance with his party's base.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on January 18, 2017, 10:01:38 PM
At this point Micheal Chong is the only Conservative that would seem to appeal to the broadest range of Canadians in a general election, but I do not think he has a chance with his party's base.

I am not sure that is true.  I don't have any idea who that is  :D

On the other hand I was prepared to be completely dismissive of O'Leary but our local talk radio program played a piece from some Conservative commentators from, I think, Alberta being highly critical of him and based on that he didnt actually sound too bad.  They hated the fact he was soft on Muslims and supported a carbon tax, so he might be ok after all.

Oexmelin

Read up on him and his business "acumen" before deciding he isn't so bad...
Que le grand cric me croque !