And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2011, 02:21:36 PM
The medium is the massage:

http://www.suite101.com/content/police-to-investigate-leak-of-jack-laytons-massage-parlour-visit-a368780

Last-ditch attempt to smear Layton.

Which seems to be failing: (from the Globe)

Meanwhile, on a day when the Sun newspaper chain ran a story about Mr. Layton visiting a Toronto massage parlour 16 years ago, Mr. Nanos said the NDP leader's personal leadership scores significantly improved and surpassed those of Mr. Harper.

Mr. Layton climbed 17 points, to 97, on the Nanos Leadership Index, which measures perceptions of the leaders' trustworthiness, competence and vision for Canada.

That compared to 88 for Mr. Harper and 39 points for Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff.

"The one-day polling completed on the same day that the massage-parlour story broke showed that Jack Layton's score improved, including perceptions related to trust," said Mr. Nanos.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/gap-between-tories-ndp-narrows-to-6-points-in-11th-hour-polling/article2005684/
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I hope people wake up tomorrow with a bit more sanity.

HVC

So really, this whole thing turned out to be a happy ending for Layton.

:p
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2011, 04:51:29 PM

Me too.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2011, 04:52:34 PM
So really, this whole thing turned out to be a happy ending for Layton.

:p

We'll see. I hope so; but I still think we're in for a photo-finish. (By that I mean whether Harper wins by a minority or majority). For once we may not know the end result by 9 pm ET.
Civis Romanus Sum

Grey Fox

I've been hoping for that for 5 years now & yet tomorrow most of Canada will still vote PC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2011, 05:45:19 PMI've been hoping for that for 5 years now & yet tomorrow most of Canada will still vote PC.

Not most of Canada, a plurality.

Josephus

Less than 40 per cent in fact.
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2011, 05:45:19 PM

I've been hoping for that for 5 years now & yet tomorrow most of Canada will still vote PC.

The PC Party is dead and buried. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Someone made a Layton joke, I thought I'd share:

If the orange wave doesn't turn out to give the NDP votes, would that be a case of...wait for it....Premature Jack Elation?
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2011, 07:13:10 PM

If the orange wave doesn't turn out to give the NDP votes, would that be a case of...wait for it....Premature Jack Elation?

:frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Last two elections i've voted conservative, but this year i have no idea. Never really minded Harper's cardboard demeanour, but this time he seems smarmy. Maybe it was the tone of his attack ads and the like this year, but i just don't like him now. Might as will vote lib. if i'm gonna throw my vote away might as well throw it there.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Plus the whole he wants to be a "dictator thing" (which is overblown but still disturbing) does not add to my feeling about the dear leader.

citizen k

If Canada had a dictator, he would be the nicest dictator in the world.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2011, 07:13:10 PM

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius