And we're back!

Main Menu

McDonald's No Longer #1

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2011, 05:15:34 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 07, 2011, 09:06:45 PM
When I ate meat, Italian subs were the shit.  I can't imagine not liking them.  Pepperoni and salami and provolone and peppers and so forth, what's not to enjoy?
My point was that they're not enjoyable when made by Subway. :P

My point was the Subway Italian subs were awesome. :secret:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2011, 07:07:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2011, 06:20:51 PM
If I were in an unfamiliar city like Paris, I would defnitely not waste my time trying to figure out where I can eat there.  Why take the chance, when I know that I can walk into any Burger King in Paris and get the same Triple Stacker I can get in Jersey City.

:huh: :o :( :x  :yucky: :rolleyes:

Especially in the age of the Internet, yeah, that's just crazy parochial.

I guess if you didn't want to go to Paris in the first place and were determined to extract absolutely no value from the trip, a meal at a French McDonald's would be a good idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:30:45 AM
My point was the Subway Italian subs were awesome. :secret:
er, ok.  This tells me that South Carolina has a poor indigenous sandwich culture, unlike say any Northeastern city. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Gups

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/mar/08/tourist-distractions

How do you feel when people ask your advice about where to eat out and then speed off as far in the other direction as they can? I had two such visitors recently - two lovely intelligent young Danish interns – who asked me to recommend some decent restaurants in London. They come from Copenhagen, a city that boasts Noma, the world's best restaurant, and they are big food lovers, so I was mindful not to let them down. They wanted curry.

I recommended the superb Pakistani restaurant Tayyabs for its outstanding pakoras and tandoori lamb cutlets. "Do NOT get waylaid on Brick Lane," I warned them. "Especially avoid any restaurant with a waiter clutching a laminated menu and beckoning you in from the doorway." On seeing two glum faces the next day I knew they had stuck to the tourist restaurant highway.

The following week they were craving steak. Where did they go? The Angus Steak House in Leicester Square. I had recommended the express menu (pdf) at Hawksmoor, round the corner in Covent Garden. This is not snobbery, it's about good food and value for money - £22.50 in Hawskmoor buys a delicious salad of nuts, blue cheese, fresh leaves drizzled with a sublime dressing, an outstanding steak and triple-cooked or beef dripping chips followed by a mini ice cream sundae. Angus is a typical tourist gaff, located in a prime spot with bright, beckoning lights. The food is truly grotesque, costs more (pdf) than Hawksmoor, and the service is lousy, as evidenced by this wonderfully repellent description. I had little sympathy for their decision, but it did leave me wondering why they bothered asking for advice.

Two American friends were quite open about their reasons for taking their 10-year-old to TGI Friday's in Cheltenham recently: because it would be in the child's "comfort zone". It was as familiar to them as many a place back home, so they thought it was a safe bet for an enjoyable meal. It was not. They said the fried macaroni and cheese could have doubled as Polyfilla, and the ribs were like sawdust. They could have gone to Brasserie Blanc, with its special children's menu of grilled chicken, fishcake, delicious macaroni cheese, mixed salads, and ice cream, far superior food and, again, spent less than at Friday's.

In Leeds some Italian colleagues decided on Café Rouge because of the central location and familiarity. Just around the corner is Brasserie Forty 4, where, if you rock up earlyish as tourists are wont to do, £22.95 buys three delicious courses and wine.

Visitors choosing to eat at bad restaurants set the reputation of British food back some significant way. Bearing in mind the relatively high quality of restaurants that now exist in the UK, it's a real shame that so many people take home tales of woe about food atrocities. Part of the problem has to be that high profile restaurants – those touting for passing trade with massive shop fronts on a main road - are as a rule not as good as those which are a bit more hidden away.

But this is true pretty much everywhere, and is surely the reason visitors ask for advice in the first place. Quite how it is that so many tourists still end up in the places they encounter on their sightseeing paths is a mystery to me.

It's only natural to behave differently on holidays or business trips than at home, perhaps it's that very thing that creates some truly awful food experiences. Maybe people want to discover something new for themselves, uncover a surprising gem, rather than follow guidebooks or personal recommendations. But then again, I can't imagine my Danish friends going to somewhere like an Angus Steak House back home, so why do so here?

The reason why London, one of the greatest cities in the world for restauraunts, has such a bad reputation for food is because you tourists are such fucking idiots.

Josquius

McDonalds and the ilk I can get. It quick, cheap and relatively painless.
TGI Fridays and all that though...now those places I just don't get. I went to Frankie and Bennies the other week, one of the worst pizzas I've ever had. And its just like a normal restaurant in most respects, why oh why couldn't we have gone to a good, cheaper, independant Italian place?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I make it a point to go to McD's when abroad just to see how different & similar it is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 09, 2011, 07:10:17 AM
I make it a point to go to McD's when abroad just to see how different & similar it is.

If only all tourists had your boundless intellectual curiosity  :(

Brazen

I did go to one in France just to have a goat's cheese salad and a beer. :mmm:

Brazen

Damn this thread. It made me go against my principles and tastebuds to get a Subway for lunch. Then Gups made me feel guilty about it  :mad:

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on March 09, 2011, 06:27:35 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/mar/08/tourist-distractions

How do you feel when people ask your advice about where to eat out and then speed off as far in the other direction as they can? I had two such visitors recently - two lovely intelligent young Danish interns – who asked me to recommend some decent restaurants in London. They come from Copenhagen, a city that boasts Noma, the world's best restaurant, and they are big food lovers, so I was mindful not to let them down. They wanted curry.

I recommended the superb Pakistani restaurant Tayyabs for its outstanding pakoras and tandoori lamb cutlets. "Do NOT get waylaid on Brick Lane," I warned them. "Especially avoid any restaurant with a waiter clutching a laminated menu and beckoning you in from the doorway." On seeing two glum faces the next day I knew they had stuck to the tourist restaurant highway.

The following week they were craving steak. Where did they go? The Angus Steak House in Leicester Square. I had recommended the express menu (pdf) at Hawksmoor, round the corner in Covent Garden. This is not snobbery, it's about good food and value for money - £22.50 in Hawskmoor buys a delicious salad of nuts, blue cheese, fresh leaves drizzled with a sublime dressing, an outstanding steak and triple-cooked or beef dripping chips followed by a mini ice cream sundae. Angus is a typical tourist gaff, located in a prime spot with bright, beckoning lights. The food is truly grotesque, costs more (pdf) than Hawksmoor, and the service is lousy, as evidenced by this wonderfully repellent description. I had little sympathy for their decision, but it did leave me wondering why they bothered asking for advice.

Two American friends were quite open about their reasons for taking their 10-year-old to TGI Friday's in Cheltenham recently: because it would be in the child's "comfort zone". It was as familiar to them as many a place back home, so they thought it was a safe bet for an enjoyable meal. It was not. They said the fried macaroni and cheese could have doubled as Polyfilla, and the ribs were like sawdust. They could have gone to Brasserie Blanc, with its special children's menu of grilled chicken, fishcake, delicious macaroni cheese, mixed salads, and ice cream, far superior food and, again, spent less than at Friday's.

In Leeds some Italian colleagues decided on Café Rouge because of the central location and familiarity. Just around the corner is Brasserie Forty 4, where, if you rock up earlyish as tourists are wont to do, £22.95 buys three delicious courses and wine.

Visitors choosing to eat at bad restaurants set the reputation of British food back some significant way. Bearing in mind the relatively high quality of restaurants that now exist in the UK, it's a real shame that so many people take home tales of woe about food atrocities. Part of the problem has to be that high profile restaurants – those touting for passing trade with massive shop fronts on a main road - are as a rule not as good as those which are a bit more hidden away.

But this is true pretty much everywhere, and is surely the reason visitors ask for advice in the first place. Quite how it is that so many tourists still end up in the places they encounter on their sightseeing paths is a mystery to me.

It's only natural to behave differently on holidays or business trips than at home, perhaps it's that very thing that creates some truly awful food experiences. Maybe people want to discover something new for themselves, uncover a surprising gem, rather than follow guidebooks or personal recommendations. But then again, I can't imagine my Danish friends going to somewhere like an Angus Steak House back home, so why do so here?

The reason why London, one of the greatest cities in the world for restauraunts, has such a bad reputation for food is because you tourists are such fucking idiots.

Yes, blame the customer. Always productive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

We won the war you Limey bastard.

Caliga

The one I went to in London was exactly the same, except it was more expensive.

The one in Genoa actually had some stuff on the menu I've never seen stateside.  For example, they had this weird Caribbean chicken sandwich.  Princesca or I got it (forget who) and shared it.  It was actually pretty good.  IIRC it was a grilled chicken sandwich with some kind of spicy-sweet sauce.

Caliga

Actually, I mostly ate Indian food when I was in London. :contract:

It was definitely better than American Indian food, too. :cool:

I guess I should have made a distinction between traditional British food and modern British food. :)

Brazen

At least I managed to get the Languish mob to your recommended curry house off Brick Lane, Gups. I think everyone was delighted with the food and the price (for London). :)

Josquius

Europe always seems to be a few years behind...which is good. You can still find curly fries in some parts of the continent :mmm:
██████
██████
██████