News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

McDonald's No Longer #1

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 08:01:45 AM
I guess I should have made a distinction between traditional British food and modern British food. :)
What would you call traditionally British though? Fish and chips (which varies massively)? Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding? Heston Blumenthal with test-tubes steaming with dry ice?

We've had Indian restaurants here since 1812 and ate Raj-inspired food before that. As this predates and definable American cuisine, doesn't it count as traditional?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 07:59:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 09, 2011, 07:10:17 AM
I make it a point to go to McD's when abroad just to see how different & similar it is.
The one I went to in London was exactly the same, except it was more expensive.

The one in Genoa actually had some stuff on the menu I've never seen stateside.  For example, they had this weird Caribbean chicken sandwich.  Princesca or I got it (forget who) and shared it.  It was actually pretty good.  IIRC it was a grilled chicken sandwich with some kind of spicy-sweet sauce.

I went to the one in London's central station(I think that's what it's called?). It was extremely different for me.

1) They offered milkshakes.
2) Trios were priced by size instead of by type.
3) No Poutine.

It was also the new look McD's at a time the McD's here had the 80s look.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

They don't have milkshakes at Canadian (Quebec?) McDonald's outlets? :blink:

We don't have poutine here either, and I dunno what the fuck a trio is.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 08:11:22 AM
They don't have milkshakes at Canadian (Quebec?) McDonald's outlets? :blink:

We don't have poutine here either, and I dunno what the fuck a trio is.
Sounds like a trio is a combo meal.  I'm also surprised they don't have "milk" shakes in Quebec.

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on March 09, 2011, 08:07:13 AM
What would you call traditionally British though? Fish and chips (which varies massively)? Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding? Heston Blumenthal with test-tubes steaming with dry ice?

We've had Indian restaurants here since 1812 and ate Raj-inspired food before that. As this predates and definable American cuisine, doesn't it count as traditional?
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

I think Americans are typically unimpressed with this sort of cuisine because it's identical to our 'traditional' cuisine, for obvious reasons.

I didn't realize you have had Indian restaurants for so long, but surely one can make a distinction between Indian cuisine and British cuisine despite that fact?

Grey Fox

Yeah Combo. Sandwich, drink, sides.

Re Milkshakes, I have since learned that they tried but it didn't work. McD's closer to the US or other Provinces are suppose to carry it but I've never seen it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2011, 08:05:43 AM
Europe always seems to be a few years behind...which is good. You can still find curly fries in some parts of the continent :mmm:

I guess the UK doesn't have Arby's?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 08:18:42 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 09, 2011, 08:07:13 AM

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

I think Americans are typically unimpressed with this sort of cuisine because it's identical to our 'traditional' cuisine, for obvious reasons.

I didn't realize you have had Indian restaurants for so long, but surely one can make a distinction between Indian cuisine and British cuisine despite that fact?

Nobody really knows what traditional British cuisine is.  There's a few dishes like Lancashire hotpot or potted shrimps but not many. We have probably the best puddings in the world and possibly the best cheeses. We're good at condiments and preserves.  But really our native cuisine sucks. It's nowhere near as  interesting or diverse as American cuisine let alone Italian or Spanish.

Caliga

If you want to go on and declare your national cuisine to be Indian, I'll endorse it as one of the world's best. :mmm:

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on March 09, 2011, 08:47:44 AM
Nobody really knows what traditional British cuisine is.  There's a few dishes like Lancashire hotpot or potted shrimps but not many. We have probably the best puddings in the world and possibly the best cheeses. We're good at condiments and preserves.  But really our native cuisine sucks. It's nowhere near as  interesting or diverse as American cuisine let alone Italian or Spanish.
I have been introduced to cawl, proper Welsh rarebit and the best roast lamb ever since a Welshman dodged the crossbows to cross the borders into my territory.

Gups

Caliga

Actually yeah, I had very good rarebit at Fortnum & Mason. :)

Archy

This thread made me think of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOr5wd219Q
For some reason in belgium we only have McDonalds, Quick and Pizza Hut from the international Fastfood chains. For some reason  Burger King and KFC are in Netherlands, France and Germany but not in Belgium. I always wondered why?

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:34:12 AM
Especially in the age of the Internet, yeah, that's just crazy parochial.

I guess if you didn't want to go to Paris in the first place and were determined to extract absolutely no value from the trip, a meal at a French McDonald's would be a good idea.

Yeah that's the only thing I could think.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

For the record, I didn't want to go to either McDonalds.  In the case of London, my brother insisted because he was thirsty and drinks are cheaper there according to him (he had been doing a workstudy in London for close to a year at that point so I assumed he knew what he was talking about).

In the case of Genoa, Princesca wanted to go to see "how McDonald's is different here".  Aside from the Caribbean chicken sandwich, another way in which McDonald's is different is that in America--unlike Italy--50% of the patrons are not gypsies.  Getting begged from and harassed by little child thieves while eating is kind of irritating, it turns out. :(