And we're back!

Main Menu

McDonald's No Longer #1

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2011, 07:26:07 PM
Subway is too dear.
How much they charging over yonder?  Here you get a foot of food for 5 bucks.  Not very dear.

Admiral Yi

How do they staff fastfoot joints at Gitmo?  On a navy ship? :huh:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2011, 07:54:44 PM
How do they staff fastfoot joints at Gitmo?  On a navy ship? :huh:

I'd bet the Gitmo is staffed by KBR or some other contractor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

IIRC the Subway @ Gitmo is off duty personnel, since Cubans ain't allowed to go there anymore to work.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2011, 07:49:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2011, 07:42:49 PM
Quizno's makes a far, far better sandwich than Subway.
Not a big fan of Quizno's sauces.  Too sickly sweet.

Too much sauce, no idea what's in it.

I like that I can just get plain, fat-free mustard at Subway.

Mr. Sub is good too, but I haven't lived near one for awhile.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

Subway's veggie & cheese sub is great.   :mmm:

MadBurgerMaker

Tonitrus

Most Air Force bases have a Burger King...I've seen one with a McDonalds.  The other notable fact about on-base franchises, is that the quality is noticeably below that as those off-base (probably due to being staffed by dependents).

Most, as said, have a Subway, a Cinnabon, and some other chains that are basically run by the Army Air Force Exchange Service.

Many bases nowadays have a Starbucks as well, though oddly, those have, so far, been pretty comparable to a regular Starbucks you might see anywhere (whether that is good or bad, is up to you).

Kadena AFB in Okinawa (and this is more true of the overseas, America-deprived bases) had a Chilis and there was a Macaroni Grill on the Marine Corp base.  Both were actually pretty good in comparison with the stateside equivalent.  But that makes sense to provide better quality for folks overseas (even though Okinawa is awesome enough without Americrap).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 07, 2011, 08:09:21 PM
Most Air Force bases have a Burger King...I've seen one with a McDonalds.  The other notable fact about on-base franchises, is that the quality is noticeably below that as those off-base (probably due to being staffed by dependents).

Why are dependents worse workers than off base types?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2011, 08:11:20 PM

Why are dependents worse workers than off base types?

By and large, dependents are, of course, the spouses and kids of military members (most likely enlisted).  Most of these military peeps will rotate in and out every 3-4 years.  That means you have workers who know it is basically a temporary job with no real future.  Or are military brats who couldn't get anything better off base (this is worse stateside than overseas, I think, as overseas, there might not be much choice).  I think the biggest thing I notice about employees at the Base Exchange, and other related stores, is that they don't care/are indifferent/have poor customer service skills compared to outside.

This is probably not helped by the fact that they are basically an extension of a government-monopoly that is masqueraded by a "private business".  They may have corporate names...but services and hiring are essentially run by AAFES, not the actual company.  And this means not just the employees...the facilities and service in general is usually inferior overall.

stjaba

I find that's true for any franchise "on-site." The fast food places(Wendy's, Chik Fil-A, etc) on UF's campus are always inferior to the regular thing.

Tonitrus

And, most military wives/kids you see at the BX or Commissary ooze with a "worthless leech on their husband/wife" vibe.

Grey Fox

There's a Tim Hortons in the big Alliance Base in Afghanistan.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: stjaba on March 07, 2011, 08:30:13 PM
I find that's true for any franchise "on-site." The fast food places(Wendy's, Chik Fil-A, etc) on UF's campus are always inferior to the regular thing.
That reminds me of the Burger King we had at the student union in college.  One time I was there after class and this international student tried to order a "Whooper".  All of the people there started laughing and calling her a 'retahd'.  She started crying. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2011, 07:51:36 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 07, 2011, 07:46:56 PM
Subway also has franchise on military bases.

You know a chain is in the death throes of quality when it's picked up on a military base.
IIRC there's a Subway at Gitmo.  But I think there is also a McDonald's there.

Maybe they torture the Camp X-Ray dudes with Subway 'Italian subs'. :x

When I ate meat, Italian subs were the shit.  I can't imagine not liking them.  Pepperoni and salami and provolone and peppers and so forth, what's not to enjoy?

I've started eating Subway again semi-regularly because 1)it's right next to the school and 2)the egg subs they do for breakfast are pretty neat.  It's a glorified delivery device for jalapenos and banana peppers, but I feel less ripped off paying $5 when I get an egg with it.

McDonald's, on the other hand, even when I did eat meat, I usually only ate at when it was after 11pm or something and everything else was closed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)