And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2011, 08:58:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2011, 08:06:23 PM
Hey Derspeiss, I was looking at that Breitbart site while Languish was down.  A lot of "thug" talk.

Some interesting youtube videos as well if you search for "union thug". 

QuoteI suppose that's the new thing.  What does it mean when someone calls the President a "Welfare thug"?

Dunno.

I'll look up Union thug, you see if you can find out what a "welfare thug" is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2011, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM
NY workers can retire at 55 with full benefits.

Is that after 20 or 25 years vested?

In my Union, you need 25 years vested, 27 years if you want a full pension.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

MadImmortalMan

Who works 27 years at one job anymore? I assume you can count your previous years toward that if you move to a different job and transfer your pension with you.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Strix

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2011, 03:12:51 PM
Who works 27 years at one job anymore? I assume you can count your previous years toward that if you move to a different job and transfer your pension with you.

Only if you stay with the State.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

MadImmortalMan

How very 19th century.

The problem is that the economic structure pendulum is swinging away from the consolidation that happened with the industrial revolution. We went from individual farmer-operators in the economy when we were all doing agriculture to consolidating into working for companies. Now we're going back to being individual operators in the information age. The future of the labor market is not going to be an environment where staying at one job for decades is common. We'll all be contractors and short-termers, so our method of retirement savings needs to shift too.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 09, 2011, 02:39:22 PM
I'll look up Union thug, you see if you can find out what a "welfare thug" is.

Deal.  First result was a HuffPo link, which I'm sure you already read :mellow:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/15/tea-party-leader-melts-do_n_286933.html

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2011, 04:00:28 PM
How very 19th century.

The problem is that the economic structure pendulum is swinging away from the consolidation that happened with the industrial revolution. We went from individual farmer-operators in the economy when we were all doing agriculture to consolidating into working for companies. Now we're going back to being individual operators in the information age. The future of the labor market is not going to be an environment where staying at one job for decades is common. We'll all be contractors and short-termers, so our method of retirement savings needs to shift too.
Or we could just go back to how they retired before the Industrial Revolution.

At any rate, the shift towards poverty is somewhat alarming.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Looks like Walker got what he wanted anyway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wisconsin_budget_unions

I guess this was inevitable.

Tonitrus

QuoteOr we could just go back to how they retired before the Industrial Revolution.

:hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2011, 10:56:23 PM

I see a recall coming down the road.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Well. After having skimmed through the thread, all I can say on Sask's ragequit is:

CountDeMoney

On behalf of all liberals, I'd like to thank the Wisconsin Republicans for ensuring Obama's reelection in 2012.  Thanks, guys!

Faeelin

What, they just realized they could do this?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on March 10, 2011, 07:20:09 AM
What, they just realized they could do this?

Oh, I'm sure they've known all along they could;  it's just the matter of how much political will they were willing to gamble.  This kind of stuff never looks good, and there's always blowback.

Americans that don't know any better may not like unions, but one thing they definitely don't like are political machinations that don't look above board.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 07:18:03 AM
On behalf of all liberals, I'd like to thank the Wisconsin Republicans for ensuring Obama's reelection in 2012.  Thanks, guys!
What, this is going to motivate the public sector unions to be more pro-Democrat?  As if they weren't 100% dedicated to the cause already?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.