News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2011, 08:06:23 PM
Hey Derspeiss, I was looking at that Breitbart site while Languish was down.  A lot of "thug" talk. 

Some interesting youtube videos as well if you search for "union thug". 

QuoteI suppose that's the new thing.  What does it mean when someone calls the President a "Welfare thug"?

Dunno.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2011, 07:59:29 PM
And Goldman-Sachs is a particularly bad example because they're known historically as a major donor to Democrats.
When it comes to financial industry, Democrats and Republicans are equal opportunity sociopathic sellouts.  After all, Chuck Schumer was one of Wall Street's most reliable men.  It's also important to remember that Democrats were in charge when Wall Street got away with murder.  So, in a way, GS is actually a very good example, because it shows that who contributes matters more than to whom the money is contributed.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2011, 08:16:49 PM
It seems your table is the top groups that run quote unquote issues ads.  So I'll concede the point that the destruction of the unions will mean the end of the liberal left's principal funders of issue ads (though I'm a little surprised SorosOn.org didn't make the cut).  Obviously that's not the same thing as fundraising in general.

Also, Seedy's chart only gives one example (an off-cycle election in which top Dem donors notoriously held back).  The link I posted covers 1989-2010.  The top 10 from that list is:

ActBlue    $51,124,846 (Dem)
AT&T Inc    $46,292,670 (Split, slightly GOP)
American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees    $43,477,361 (Dem)
National Assn of Realtors    $38,721,441 (Split)
Goldman Sachs    $33,387,252 (Dem)
American Assn for Justice    $33,143,279 (Dem)
Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers    $33,056,216 (Dem)
National Education Assn    $32,024,610 (Dem)
Laborers Union    $30,292,050 (Dem)
Teamsters Union    $29,319,982 (Dem)

FWIW, the EEEEVILLLLLLLLL Koch Industries is #63.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, my earlier point was that this is a perfectly timed exploit of the crisis to directly attack the sources of Democrat campaign funding and organization. Look where Dems would be if, say, the union funding got cut in half. That would be devastating.

What you're not saying spicy is that, while it looks like the GOP has a massive fundraising disadvantage looking at that list, IIRC they get a ton more money from small individual donors. Dems need all the big guys to pony up in order to stay even.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 08, 2011, 02:30:27 PM
So your basically arguing that the only way for the "liberal left" to raise money is by extorting it from union members?

An interesting perspective.

I guess I am thinking that if the "liberal left" can only raise money via these means, they probably deserve to be made irrelevant. However, I am not really buying the claim that the only way the left raises funds is via these handfuls of unions. Obama seemed to be rather capable of raising rather stunning amounts of cash, and I don't think he got it all from a handful of unions.

:yes:

Oh and on a totally different note, New York just sent me 3 identical voter change forms. Good use of public funds/natural resources? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

saskganesh

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2011, 08:49:53 PM
What's HNIC?
"Head Nigger In Charge." :)
er matt

Hockey Night in Canada.

y'all culture poses difficulties in comprehenson. It does not matter not matter tho, as this forum is a proven political graveyard on humane issues, and so engaging is like playing in night soil.

good fucking luck. bye.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

:huh:

I was just telling him what it means dude.  I never heard of this 'Hockey Night in Canada' thing...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2011, 10:04:00 PM
:huh:

I was just telling him what it means dude.  I never heard of this 'Hockey Night in Canada' thing...

Besides beavers and aboot, who's ever heard anything about Canada? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2011, 09:29:25 PM
Yeah, my earlier point was that this is a perfectly timed exploit of the crisis to directly attack the sources of Democrat campaign funding and organization.

Yeah, because it is not like there could be any OTHER reason to go after public service unions, now could there?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on March 08, 2011, 10:24:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 08, 2011, 09:29:25 PM
Yeah, my earlier point was that this is a perfectly timed exploit of the crisis to directly attack the sources of Democrat campaign funding and organization.

Yeah, because it is not like there could be any OTHER reason to go after public service unions, now could there?

To be fair, I'm not dismissing the fact that they've dug themselves into this unsustainable hole where the expectations are way out of whack with fiscal reality. The budgetary concerns are totally legitimate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2011, 12:59:51 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2011, 08:49:53 PM
What's HNIC?
"Head Nigger In Charge." :)

It stands for Hockey Night In Canada.   :mad:

Oh, is that what Sask's incomprehensible post was trying to convey?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2011, 12:59:51 AM
It stands for Hockey Night In Canada.   :mad:
Ok, so it stands for two things. :mellow:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive