News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Caught a couple episodes of Stranger Things on Netflix. Pretty engrossing so far, and somehow they managed to make kids in a leading role not annoying.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Has anybody gotten into Preacher at all?

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2016, 08:40:32 AM
Has anybody gotten into Preacher at all?
Nope.  Couldn't get into it, way too slow, and these foreing accents were too hard for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: Liep on July 23, 2016, 02:25:12 AM
American Gods looking good.

http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-first-footage-american-gods-courtesy-comic-c-240010?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Main:1:Default
yeah, it does. I want it to be good. I really liked the book. Though I always pictured Shadow as Native American so I was thrown off a bit at first.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2016, 03:53:43 PM
Though I always pictured Shadow as Native American so I was thrown off a bit at first.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2016, 05:18:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2016, 03:53:43 PM
Though I always pictured Shadow as Native American so I was thrown off a bit at first.

kind of, but more biker and less loin cloth :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

CountDeMoney

Comic-Con debut of the USS Discovery for the new "Star Trek: Discovery" series on CBS this January:

https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

Bleh.

#1, stupid name, and
#2, looks like something from Star Fleet Battles fucked a D7 Battlecruiser.

HVC

Can't see the video in Canada I guess, but I looked up some picture, and that's one ugly ship.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2016, 08:24:32 PM
Comic-Con debut of the USS Discovery for the new "Star Trek: Discovery" series on CBS this January:

https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

Bleh.

#1, stupid name, and
#2, looks like something from Star Fleet Battles fucked a D7 Battlecruiser.

unlike previous Star Trek series, this one would feature LGBTQ characters.

how many letters are we gonna need until this thing is done?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2016, 09:31:56 PM
Can't see the video in Canada I guess, but I looked up some picture, and that's one ugly ship.
try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsuM31IC-Q

celedhring

Just saw the video. It's not the prettiest Federation ship - not by a long shot - but all trekkies are up in arms about it on my FB feed and I don't think it's *that* bad.

It doesn't help that the video feels so videogame cutscene-y. They should probably have waited until they had time to do better effects.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on July 25, 2016, 12:16:54 AM

unlike previous Star Trek series, this one would feature LGBTQ characters.

:rolleyes:

Please, numerous fan fictions have already proven definitively that the original series already featured LGBTQ characters.

:P ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Pilgrimage (1933)

This is an unusual movie; Henrietta Crosman plays an over-protective mother who thinks the girl next door is no good for her son.  When her son abandons her for his gal the mother has him drafted.  He dies in the First World War just as the gal is giving birth to his son.  Ten years later Crosman is given a chance to go to France with other Gold Star Mothers to attend a ceremony and visit the grave of her son in France.  Here the movie picks up substantially, and John Ford :alberta: is able to mix humor and pathos as Crosman interacts with the French, comes to grips with her decisions and come to grips with her son.  Lucile La Verne steals the Paris scenes as a woman from Appalachia who smokes a pipe and recommends moonshine as a cure for all ills.

It's not one of John Ford's :alberta: better films, not by a long shot, but I don't think anyone else could have made the subject matter work better.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

My daughter and I wanted to watch Star Trek Beyond but the rest of the kids wanted to watch Secret Lives of Pets. Not a bad movie, but it sure is not Star Trek. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom