News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Goosebumps the movie. Because I was bored and its on watch instantly. Not bad. 
PDH!

celedhring

Can't possibly beat the Richard Burton movie. God, that one is so great.

Sheilbh

No, probably not. But then I love both iterations of Tinker, Tailor.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Just saw Gran Torino, never seen it before.  Wonderful movie.  Predictable, but still very good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Finished Rome. I enjoyed it. The second season more than the first, but I'm not sure why.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on July 20, 2016, 11:11:19 PM
Just saw Gran Torino, never seen it before.  Wonderful movie.  Predictable, but still very good.

I used to get my hair cut at the barber shop they used in the film.  (It's in Royal Oak, MI, rather than Detroit; in fact you can see the Royal Oak Post Office through the window in the film.  That's the office where the phrase "Going postal" originated.)  My barber had a picture of himself with Clint Eastwood that he kept on the counter until he closed his shop a couple years later.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Finding Dory (2016)

This film made me think of Slappy Squirrel's critique of modern cartoons; filled with environmentalist messages and pretty female animal characters that have no slapstick.  If only we could go back to the days of wholesome family entertainment like dynamite, shotguns and anvils.   :(

Not one of Pixar's best films, but still good.  Ed O'Neil steals the show as a grumpy octopus.

My wife discovered that she hated Ellen Degeneres's voice last night; that was a long film for her, since Ellen seems to have the majority of the lines in the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Captain Phillips - reenactment of the failed hijacking of a container ship by Somali pirates, starring Tom Hanks. Pretty good actually, might be my favorite Peter Greengrass film - although I have never been that much of a fan. Here he's able to enact some restraint and not go silly with the shaky cam, maybe because he's dealing with real events, and he uses his skills well to create a great deal of tension and craft a pretty intense film. The dude playing the main pirate villain is one of the film's highlights, and steals the show from Hanks. I read that he's in the new Blade Runner film.

celedhring

BoJack Horseman season 3 has been released  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2016, 04:14:45 AM
BoJack Horseman season 3 has been released  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Time to re-sub to Netflix! :w00t:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Jon Stewart's brief comeback on the Late Show was glorious.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

frunk

About halfway through season 3 of Bojack.  Still excellent.

Favorite line so far:

[spoiler]
He's not God, he's just an old guy that likes to pull pranks on people.
Sure sounds like God.
[/spoiler]

The Pacific Ocean Film Festival episode is pretty impressive for being completely ridiculous and thoroughly heart rending without saying much.  A microcosm of the whole series but with fewer words.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2016, 11:08:20 AM
Jon Stewart's brief comeback on the Late Show was glorious.

His long monologue was good. That set of spit takes with Colbert was kinda lame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.