And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 03:52:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
She is there to provide a legal caution to the operation, since CIA is not supposed to operate inside US and the gov isn't supposed to deal with drug lords.

I am aware that's the plot excuse. But again, she does nothing besides being annoyed. Even the part where [spoiler] she gets attacked by an officer she is fucking[/spoiler]  isn't really important. I thought her character was the weakest part of an otherwise excellent film. She is the moral center of the story,  but they should have given her more to do.
I think that's the point.  She's a failed Clarice Starling. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

It's a shitty point then  :P

You could remove her completely and the story would be unaffected. I really didn't take to her. Anyway, liked the film otherwise. Just not because of her character.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
Sicario. Pretty good, you could cut the tension with a knife throughout all the movie. Deakins, once again, does some masterful work. Score is broodingly great, too. My only but is that Blunt's character (she's great in it) seemed pretty pointless. She's just there to be horrified at what Brolin and Del Toro do.

Anyway, I wouldn't have believed I would ever say this, but I'm really looking forward to Blade Runner 2.

How realistic is all that black ops business, by the way? It felt a bit Hollywood-ish.

From what I've read the the black ops stuff is 100% Hollywood (at least in Mexico; Viper could be right about Colombia.)

[spoiler]The Emily Blunt character is interesting as she's probably what the Benicio del Toro character was like before his family was killed.  She's there to give the everywoman perspective for the audience to relate to and present the case for the by-the-book approach.  I agree that there's a problem with what her purpose was there; for instance why did the CIA let her come back for the second run when it was established she wasn't necessary there?  Giving her a larger role in the operation, though, would have undermined two of the themes the story has; one is the casual disrespect the CIA and Special Ops seemed to have for her and the second was that Benicio del Toro's final speech to her about not being a wolf likely wouldn't have made sense.

The role that I thought was entirely redundant was the kid.  He seemed to be there to show us the human cost of drug enforcement/drug cartels; but the Benicio del Toro character made that more than abundantly clear.[/spoiler] 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 03:52:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
She is there to provide a legal caution to the operation, since CIA is not supposed to operate inside US and the gov isn't supposed to deal with drug lords.

I am aware that's the plot excuse. But again, she does nothing besides being annoyed. Even the part where [spoiler] she gets attacked by an officer she is fucking[/spoiler]  isn't really important. I thought her character was the weakest part of an otherwise excellent film. She is the moral center of the story,  but they should have given her more to do.

[spoiler]The scene is important as it demonstrates Blunt's by-the-book approach doesn't work.  Following procedures very nearly gets her killed.[/spoiler]
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 05:33:36 PM
It's a shitty point then  :P

You could remove her completely and the story would be unaffected. I really didn't take to her. Anyway, liked the film otherwise. Just not because of her character.

The film would have been just a dumb action movie without her [spoiler]even with the kid[/spoiler].  They needed someone with an alternative point of view to stay out of Michael Bay territory.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on March 19, 2016, 05:34:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
Sicario. Pretty good, you could cut the tension with a knife throughout all the movie. Deakins, once again, does some masterful work. Score is broodingly great, too. My only but is that Blunt's character (she's great in it) seemed pretty pointless. She's just there to be horrified at what Brolin and Del Toro do.

Anyway, I wouldn't have believed I would ever say this, but I'm really looking forward to Blade Runner 2.

How realistic is all that black ops business, by the way? It felt a bit Hollywood-ish.

From what I've read the the black ops stuff is 100% Hollywood (at least in Mexico; Viper could be right about Colombia.)

[spoiler]The Emily Blunt character is interesting as she's probably what the Benicio del Toro character was like before his family was killed.  She's there to give the everywoman perspective for the audience to relate to and present the case for the by-the-book approach.  I agree that there's a problem with what her purpose was there; for instance why did the CIA let her come back for the second run when it was established she wasn't necessary there?  Giving her a larger role in the operation, though, would have undermined two of the themes the story has; one is the casual disrespect the CIA and Special Ops seemed to have for her and the second was that Benicio del Toro's final speech to her about not being a wolf likely wouldn't have made sense.

The role that I thought was entirely redundant was the kid.  He seemed to be there to show us the human cost of drug enforcement/drug cartels; but the Benicio del Toro character made that more than abundantly clear.[/spoiler]

All that is fine, but we shouldn't need a main character whose sole function is to tell us how to feel about the plot of the movie.

Capetan Mihali

I wanted to watch The Third Man again, but neither Amazon Prime streaming nor Netflix streaming has it.  So I cancelled my Netflix streaming and DVD subscriptions in a fit of pique. :ultra: It was just the last straw. :mad:

I sold my TV to guy I knew who worked at Wendy's back east for $90, and watching physical DVDs on a crummy small laptop screen is just not satisfying, so I haven't even been using the DVD plan. 

And Netflix's collection of "classic" (and I don't just mean pre-60s) movies for streaming has gotten worse and worse, in my perception; half of my list isn't even available anymore. 

They've swung too far over into their house-produced TV stuff for it to be worth it for me, I think, when so much is on freaking YouTube for nothing, let alone other free sites on the web.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

celedhring

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 19, 2016, 06:13:38 PM
I wanted to watch The Third Man again, but neither Amazon Prime streaming nor Netflix streaming has it.  So I cancelled my Netflix streaming and DVD subscriptions in a fit of pique. :ultra: It was just the last straw. :mad:

I sold my TV to guy I knew who worked at Wendy's back east for $90, and watching physical DVDs on a crummy small laptop screen is just not satisfying, so I haven't even been using the DVD plan. 

And Netflix's collection of "classic" (and I don't just mean pre-60s) movies for streaming has gotten worse and worse, in my perception; half of my list isn't even available anymore. 

They've swung too far over into their house-produced TV stuff for it to be worth it for me, I think, when so much is on freaking YouTube for nothing, let alone other free sites on the web.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of how they are de-emphasizing their movie catalog either.

CountDeMoney

House-produced = profit!

The Third Man in restored 4K is showing tonight at 10pm, tomorrow at 1pm and a couple times later in the week at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring.  So there's that.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 06:27:38 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 19, 2016, 06:13:38 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of how they are de-emphasizing their movie catalog either.

Well, it'll get weird when the wheel spins around again, and people are just torrenting (or whatever) the hot Netflix shows instead of signing up, same as they did with movies and with HBO; I know The Password-Sharing Problem has already become a big issue.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2016, 06:37:04 PM
House-produced = profit!

The Third Man in restored 4K is showing tonight at 10pm, tomorrow at 1pm and a couple times later in the week at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring.  So there's that.

Let's go.  I'll get my SEA-BWI tickets for tonight and we can catch the matinee tomorrow.  I'll leave my lax sticks at home.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 19, 2016, 06:39:50 PM
Let's go.  I'll get my SEA-BWI tickets for tonight and we can catch the matinee tomorrow.  I'll leave my lax sticks at home.

I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent swap.  I know the Dewey Decimal System and shit.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2016, 06:44:19 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 19, 2016, 06:39:50 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent swap.  I know the Dewey Decimal System and shit.

Librarians need bail bonds and bail bondsmen need libraries.  Just something to keep in mind.

CountDeMoney

Right now, what I really need is about 1,250 feet of det cord.