News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The Act of Killing is an amazing film. Yeah, watch it, Sav.

Norgy

Along with "Come And See", one of the darkest movies I have seen. "Apocalypse Now!" seems like a happy family comedy in comparison.

I wish I could muster some interest in movies again, but I'm a tired old man whose attention is limited.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2016, 12:20:47 PM
The Act of Killing is an amazing film. Yeah, watch it, Sav.

Dang, it's actually available on Netflix streaming.

Come and See is not.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Well, "Come And See" is a fairly old Russian movie, so no wonder. I doubt it has much word-of-mouth popularity.

It's one of the Soviet era movies they apparently allowed some artistic license, because it was such a realistic movie anyway.

While Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead may be rather brutal, "Come And See" shows to some extent, in my opinion, how brutality breeds more violence and more and worse brutality in retaliation.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Norgy on March 18, 2016, 01:08:03 PM
Well, "Come And See" is a fairly old Russian movie, so no wonder. I doubt it has much word-of-mouth popularity.

Perhaps not, but I've heard it mentioned on this forum at least half a dozen times.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Hey. A childhood's end miniseries.
So far ok
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 16, 2016, 02:24:26 PM
Just reboot it like they did Ghostbusters...make Indiana a lady, with a little asian girl sidekick, and Nazi dominatrixes' in high-heel jack boots.

Indiana Jones and the Silken Love Cave?

Norgy

celedhring

They've hired David Koepp to write the script, who's done a bunch of films with Spielberg, including The Crystal Skull.  :bleeding:

celedhring

Sicario. Pretty good, you could cut the tension with a knife throughout all the movie. Deakins, once again, does some masterful work. Score is broodingly great, too. My only but is that Blunt's character (she's great in it) seemed pretty pointless. She's just there to be horrified at what Brolin and Del Toro do.

Anyway, I wouldn't have believed I would ever say this, but I'm really looking forward to Blade Runner 2.

How realistic is all that black ops business, by the way? It felt a bit Hollywood-ish.

Norgy

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 18, 2016, 01:46:38 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 16, 2016, 02:24:26 PM
Just reboot it like they did Ghostbusters...make Indiana a lady, with a little asian girl sidekick, and Nazi dominatrixes' in high-heel jack boots.

Indiana Jones and the Silken Love Cave?

Jawohl, Doktor Jones, I shall answer your question if you answer mein one.
Do you wear... underwear?

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
My only but is that Blunt's character (she's great in it) seemed pretty pointless. She's just there to be horrified at what Brolin and Del Toro do.
She is there to provide a legal caution to the operation, since CIA is not supposed to operate inside US and the gov isn't supposed to deal with drug lords.

How realistic is all that black ops business, by the way? It felt a bit Hollywood-ish.
Remember the War on drugs in Columbia? :)  That's pretty much what Sicario is getting at.  US gov send special ops troops to help the Columbian gov and eventually they made a deal with some of Escobar competitors to overthrow him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

This isn't so much a film that I have seen as one I would like to see.

Der Unterwear - The Final Days Of Banging Eva Braun. Starring A. Hitler, some unnamed SS guards, Heinrich Himmler as "Mein Treuer Heinrich" and directed by Leni Riefenstahl. Now that's a movie I'd pay to see. So. Much. Leather.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
She is there to provide a legal caution to the operation, since CIA is not supposed to operate inside US and the gov isn't supposed to deal with drug lords.

I am aware that's the plot excuse. But again, she does nothing besides being annoyed. Even the part where [spoiler] she gets attacked by an officer she is fucking[/spoiler]  isn't really important. I thought her character was the weakest part of an otherwise excellent film. She is the moral center of the story,  but they should have given her more to do.

The Brain

Is Sex Sent Me To The ER any good?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.