And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2016, 06:37:04 PM
House-produced = profit!

The Third Man in restored 4K is showing tonight at 10pm, tomorrow at 1pm and a couple times later in the week at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring.  So there's that.

It's not really more profitable, but it's a way to not become dependent on the movie studios for product. Movie studios are worse than the thuggiest drug-pusher.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2016, 06:57:09 PM
It's not really more profitable, but it's a way to not become dependent on the movie studios for product. Movie studios are worse than the thuggiest drug-pusher.

I'm sorry, I can' hear you over the sound of Pee-Wee's Big Holiday

celedhring

I'm not talking, I'm typing stuff on a screen.

CountDeMoney

Now, now...don't sell yourself short.  You're how the magic happens.  The music-maker, the dreamer of dreams.

Capetan Mihali

Cel wouldn't have much of a job if Hollywood wasn't pushing these shit talkies on us, right, Sav? :glare:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

Enemy.

Bizarre film. Loved it. Didn't get the ending.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Norgy on March 18, 2016, 01:08:03 PM
Well, "Come And See" is a fairly old Russian movie, so no wonder. I doubt it has much word-of-mouth popularity.

It's one of the Soviet era movies they apparently allowed some artistic license, because it was such a realistic movie anyway.

While Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead may be rather brutal, "Come And See" shows to some extent, in my opinion, how brutality breeds more violence and more and worse brutality in retaliation.

Come and See has cult popularity, for exactly this reason: it is uncompromisingly brutal, using surreal touches to highlight the incredible, gruesome reality.

Some of the techniques used in that movie were later used by Spielberg - for example, in Saving Private Ryan.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

"Come and See" isn't screened often because of how brutal it is. That's hurt his chances of becoming a well-known film, even within the nosy film nerd world.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on March 20, 2016, 07:33:22 AM
Enemy.

I assume that the spider symbolizes insane Toronto real estate prices.

The protagonist, a middle-class guy, is like all middle class Torontonians, secretly obsessed with the impossibility of affording a house, and so his subconscious conjures these terrifying visions for him.

When the spider appears, it is frightened of him, and he's resigned, not horrified - - making him realize that the problem is himself. He's creating the demand fueling the market.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2016, 09:47:14 AM
"Come and See" isn't screened often because of how brutal it is. That's hurt his chances of becoming a well-known film, even within the nosy film nerd world.

I thought it was reasonably well known among film nerds. Not, obviously, among the general public though. As you say, too brutal. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2016, 01:21:58 PM
Enemy.

The protagonist, a middle-class guy, is like all middle class Torontonians, secretly obsessed with the impossibility of affording a house, and so his subconscious conjures these terrifying visions for him.

When the spider appears, it is frightened of him, and he's resigned, not horrified - - making him realize that the problem is himself. He's creating the demand fueling the market.

;)

The market would be a lot less crazy if Canadians didn't insist on all living in the same half dozen places.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 20, 2016, 01:40:57 PM
Enemy.

;)

The market would be a lot less crazy if Canadians didn't insist on all living in the same half dozen places.

Canada's a huge country, but the actual area people would want to live in or build cities in is comparatively small - that's a function of geology and climate. 

Josephus

Enemy.

;)

ah that explains it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2016, 01:24:00 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2016, 09:47:14 AM

I thought it was reasonably well known among film nerds. Not, obviously, among the general public though. As you say, too brutal.

It isn't. Yes, many will recognize the name, but few will have seen it. For starters it didn't make the viewing list of the course I took in Eastern European cinema, and I am sure a reason for that is how brutal it is.

The Brain

I saw it on Swedish state TV circa 1990. :)

Tonight I zapped past state TV and they were showing penis art. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.