News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Hunting Ground (2015)

Documentary (or really, a call to advocacy) about campus rape.  The story largely focuses on two young women who brought a Title IX case against UNC and their attempts to get students on other universities to do the same.  Interspersed throughout are a number of women who share their story, not only how they were assaulted, but also how the universities (usually) offered them no assistance.

While it's always best to exercise caution about drawing conclusions from any sort of documentary; if you'd like to become a serial rapist, you should seriously consider an academic career.

;) :P

In one scene where their going on about fraternities they show film of a group of pledges to some frat a Yale chanting "No means yes, yes means anal!" at a woman's dormitory.  I thought, "Ah, our future congressmen and leaders of finance."  :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2016, 09:05:32 PM
Finally watched Interstellar.  Loved it.  Pencilneck douchebag Assburger sciencetard killjoys be damned, it was wonderful.

Was somebody bitching about it?  I saw an interview with Christopher Nolan where he discussed having the preeminent expert on wormholes as lead science consultant on the movie/

Savonarola

Ex Machina (2015)

A computer programmer wins a week long trip to his reclusive boss's compound.  His boss has secretly created an AI robot and the peon is supposed to administer a series of tests to her in order to determine if she has consciousness; but what is the real test? and who is the real puppet master?  [spoiler]The chick, of course, DUH![/spoiler]

This is a little slow, but well worth watching.  It borrows elements from a number of different stories; but brings them all together well.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

LaCroix

Quote from: Savonarola on March 07, 2016, 04:27:52 PM
The Hunting Ground (2015)

Documentary (or really, a call to advocacy) about campus rape.  The story largely focuses on two young women who brought a Title IX case against UNC and their attempts to get students on other universities to do the same.  Interspersed throughout are a number of women who share their story, not only how they were assaulted, but also how the universities (usually) offered them no assistance.

While it's always best to exercise caution about drawing conclusions from any sort of documentary; if you'd like to become a serial rapist, you should seriously consider an academic career.

;) :P

In one scene where their going on about fraternities they show film of a group of pledges to some frat a Yale chanting "No means yes, yes means anal!" at a woman's dormitory.  I thought, "Ah, our future congressmen and leaders of finance."  :)

thanks for the rec. pretty good, though I laughed at the one student's open letter and its completely understandable public fallout.

Admiral Yi

Against my instincts I took another look at Deadwood.  Good so far.  Language is not nearly as pointless as i remembered, and the plot is much easier to follow if you don't parachute into the middle of the series.

On a related note i was surprised to see that Fury Road is available on HBOGO.  They're definitely trying to squeeze all the short money they can out of that flick.

Took a look at Carnival, but as soon as I read the stuff about magical powers I flushed it.

11B4V

What up with all the religious movies/shows? :huh:

Risen
Kings and Prophets
The young messiah
Noah
Gods and Kings

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2016, 09:49:34 PM

Christo-Americanism has been in overdrive since 9/11. The ascent of a Muslim president has not helped.

Eddie Teach

S4 of House of Cards. Likely the weakest one yet(still pretty watchable though). Heavy use of dream sequences midseason  :yucky:. Cliffhanger ending. :frusty: Yet another subplot of reporter chasing down the Underwoods' past misdeeds. :mellow: [spoiler]The First Lady as veep thread belies belief, but was the only really *new* thing they threw at us.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I found it kind of weird Stamper's conscience was hurting so much from skipping liver transplant dude considering he had previously murdered the hooker he was in love with. But then it turned out he was just perving on the guy's wife, so I guess that's ok.  :ph34r: [/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2016, 06:42:53 AM
S4 of House of Cards. Likely the weakest one yet(still pretty watchable though). Heavy use of dream sequences midseason  :yucky:. Cliffhanger ending. :frusty: Yet another subplot of reporter chasing down the Underwoods' past misdeeds. :mellow: [spoiler]The First Lady as veep thread belies belief, but was the only really *new* thing they threw at us.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I found it kind of weird Stamper's conscience was hurting so much from skipping liver transplant dude considering he had previously murdered the hooker he was in love with. But then it turned out he was just perving on the guy's wife, so I guess that's ok.  :ph34r: [/spoiler]

I liked this season better than the last season (I'd been planning to stop watching if I disliked this one) and all the dream sequences were obvious so not terrible.

[spoiler]Veep thing was weird but I like how it played out in that we finally got to see them being magnificently underhanded - less brute force blackmail and/or murder...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Also yes, the Stamper bit was very, very strange. I guess it is okay that he is just perving though still there really wasn't anything to explain him suddenly having a conscience[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Really all the murder turned me off before this season. It is fun when they scheme several steps ahead but strained credibility with all the murders, particularly when Frank committed that murder by himself...[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2016, 09:49:34 PM

Risen
Kings and Prophets
The young messiah
Noah
Gods and Kings

They have a pretty dependable market. Not a *big* market, mind, but faith-based stuff has steady returns.

Valmy

I really dislike those show's reliance on the supernatural bullshit. I mean Christianity did not win in the West because of its magical powers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

If you're depicting Bible stories with supernatural elements, trying to find a workaround will just antagonize your audience.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

The Club (El Club). Chilean drama concerning a house of disgraced priests (a horrific pedophile, a baby-seller who took a cut,a Pinochet-era military torture collaborator, a senile old man, and the most sympathetic, a gay man with ambiguous pedophilic tendencies) living in a low-key house run by a disgraced nun in a small poor town on the shore, training a greyhound and betting on the local races.  House Rules: no self-flagellation and no self-pleasuration.  Until the New Vatican inquisitor with a North Face coat and disgust for these men shows up....

I thought it was very good.  If not exactly enjoyable, or a great date movie. :Embarrass:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2016, 09:46:54 AM
If you're depicting Bible stories with supernatural elements, trying to find a workaround will just antagonize your audience.

It is not a matter of 'workaround' it is a matter of emphasis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 09, 2016, 11:55:33 AM
The Club (El Club). Chilean drama concerning a house of disgraced priests (a horrific pedophile, a baby-seller who took a cut,a Pinochet-era military torture collaborator, a senile old man, and the most sympathetic, a gay man with ambiguous pedophilic tendencies) living in a low-key house run by a disgraced nun in a small poor town on the shore, training a greyhound and betting on the local races.  House Rules: no self-flagellation and no self-pleasuration.  Until the New Vatican inquisitor with a North Face coat and disgust for these men shows up....

I thought it was very good.  If not exactly enjoyable, or a great date movie. :Embarrass:

Senile people. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.