Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Blood Diamond is OK.  I'd say Inception is definitely worth a look.  Life of Pi, if nothing else then just for the animal stunts.  Eastern Promises is older than that but seems to be overlooked.  Of the blockbusters I've been pushing Edge of Tomorrow.  Horrible Bosses I has some very funny parts.  This is the Part Where I Leave You has grown on me with each viewing.

Admiral Yi

Forget the titles but the Clint Eastwood directed movie about Sean Penn's daughter getting murdered in Boston is very good.  Also that movie with Casey Affleck as a PI tracking a missing child, also set in Boston.

Admiral Yi

Random post for the Marty.

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2015, 03:44:49 PM
Anyone here still watching American Horror Story? Because this season is one of the best.  :lol:

So far it is yeah. But it always tends to start good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

The Way Way Back

I'm a big fan of Sam Rockwell which is why I'll also recommend you 'Moon'.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2015, 07:21:05 PM
A small request, please some names of decent recent films, as I need to populate a rental list and can't be arsed to read thru piles of reviews.  :)

Guardians of the Galaxy, Inception, Mad Max, Grand Budapest Hotel, Black Swan
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I liked Ted but it might not be your speed mongers.

Admiral Yi

Or as they say in your neck of the woods, "not quite your cup of date rape."

Admiral Yi

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2015, 07:21:05 PM
A small request, please some names of decent recent films, as I need to populate a rental list and can't be arsed to read thru piles of reviews.  :)

Calvary
Jagten
Ida
Grand Budapest Hotel
Winter Sleep

Savonarola

Dracula (1931)

So, Tamas, have you ever been to the Borgo Pass?

Amazingly Bela Lugosi was (briefly) billed as the next Lon Chaney.  (Lon was originally slated to play Dracula.  Dracula's director, Tod Browning, was Chaney's long time director.)  Lon was the man of a thousand faces who could play any role (provided it had some degree of mutilation) while Bela was the man of one face who could play one role; though he did play it brilliantly.  Fortunately  Frankenstein would be released later the same year and Boris Karloff would take the role of the next Lon Chaney.  (They even had to have a snippet at the beginning of "The Old Dark House" to tell audience that the Boris Karloff starring in that film was, in fact, the same Boris Karloff who had been in "Frankenstein.")

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I miss Ide, this was he always came up with something good this time of year.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

A novelty: Bela Lugosi in his WW1 KuK uniform:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.