News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2015, 07:51:04 PM
Blood Diamond is OK.  I'd say Inception is definitely worth a look.  Life of Pi, if nothing else then just for the animal stunts.  Eastern Promises is older than that but seems to be overlooked.  Of the blockbusters I've been pushing Edge of Tomorrow.  Horrible Bosses I has some very funny parts.  This is the Part Where I Leave You has grown on me with each viewing.

Yeah, Blood Diamonds was good, but in a similar vain Lord of War was better, Inception was worthwhile as was Eastern Promises, and I though Edge of Tomorrow was pretty darn good for what it was. So Horrible Bosses and Life of Pi go on the list.

Thanks for that Yi, you have pretty good taste, well at least similar to mine.  :D

Thanks for those Yi,
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 30, 2015, 07:02:49 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2015, 07:21:05 PM
A small request, please some names of decent recent films, as I need to populate a rental list and can't be arsed to read thru piles of reviews.  :)

Calvary
Jagten
Ida
Grand Budapest Hotel
Winter Sleep

Mal, thanks for those I'll check them out; I thought 'Grand Budapest Hotel' was a gem of a film.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on October 30, 2015, 07:43:06 AM
A novelty: Bela Lugosi in his WW1 KuK uniform:

Bela Lugosi's dead
Bela Lugosi's dead
Undead undead undead
Undead undead undead
Bela Lugosi's dead

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 30, 2015, 07:43:06 AM
A novelty: Bela Lugosi in his WW1 KuK uniform:

Ok I now want to see a Vampire movie where a lust for Serb blood causes a deranged KuK officer to sell his soul to Satan and return as the Vampire that roams no-man's land.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

He looks a lot like Ralph Fiennes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2015, 10:44:20 AM
Ok I now want to see a Vampire movie where a lust for Serb blood causes a deranged KuK officer to sell his soul to Satan and return as the Vampire that roams no-man's land.

I always thought it would be an interesting story/movie premise to have the Spanish Flu, mixed with a new chemical agent used on the front lines leading to a zombie apocalypse led by the many dead and nearly dead in and between the trenches.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Lone Survivor. Decent war flick, but it lacks something. All the sustained combat scenes are top notch, but it doesn't give much in the way of characters/commentary.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2015, 05:26:01 PM
Lone Survivor. Decent war flick, but it lacks something. All the sustained combat scenes are top notch, but it doesn't give much in the way of characters/commentary.

I thought you got that with the buddy bonding in the beginning, like the wife's redecoration plans and the newbie initiation, plus the debate on murdering the hostages.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2015, 05:29:30 PM

I thought you got that with the buddy bonding in the beginning, like the wife's redecoration plans and the newbie initiation, plus the debate on murdering the hostages.

The buddy bonding at the beginning didn't tell anything interesting about the characters. Just that they do bloke stuff when they aren't doing soldier stuff. The film's really intense, but I'd probably be more immersed in it with characters that aren't blank slates.

The hostage scene is probably among the best in the movie, but it's a one-off.

I get that it's based on real events so it's not like they can make up (too much) stuff.

Syt

Twitch has a Bob Ross Joy of Painting Marathon: http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

:wub:

Though I tuned in at a weird point. "I spent many years in the military; I had to be a bad guy, had to shout and scream a lot."  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

That movie gives me a war boner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Saw a movie last night called It Follows. AV Club rates it the second best horror movie of this century, which is probably more than a statment about the quality of horror flicks the last 15 years. It was certainly watchable, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Gonna watch an oldie tonight....Cronenberg's The Brood
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2015, 10:22:51 AM
Saw a movie last night called It Follows. AV Club rates it the second best horror movie of this century, which is probably more than a statment about the quality of horror flicks the last 15 years.

Yeah, me and some friends were looking for a recent-ish horror flick to watch tonight and came out empty. Will probably just rewatch some Black Mirror eps.

Liep

28 Days Later, The Others, Cabin in the Woods were all good movies. Sure the two actual horror movies from that short list is more than 10 years ago, but still from this century! :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2015, 10:29:13 AM
28 Days Later, The Others, Cabin in the Woods were all good movies. Sure the two actual horror movies from that short list is more than 10 years ago, but still from this century! :P
Saw those three.

The Others is fucking awesome