News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2015, 09:09:24 AM
Several men after a hot lady, culminating in elephant climax?

This may be the only time anyone has written my movie review better than I did.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2015, 05:26:40 PM
Quote from: dps on October 27, 2015, 12:36:46 PM
Since the coming of age of the VCR in the mid-80s, movie-going has increasingly been more of a social activity rather than just being about seeing a movie.  Before then, if you wanted to see a movie, you needed to see it in a theater, because there was no way to know when or if you'd see it on TV.  Now, you know it's going to be out on DVD within a couple of months or so, so there's no reason to see it in the theater unless you're going with a group of friends or you're on a date.  By the time you're 30, it's increasingly difficult to get together with a group of friends, and most people are married and not dating anymore, so yeah, in movie-going terms, an average age of 34 would be an older audience.

With the exception of being able to talk about it after, I've never quite understood why a movie is a good 'social activity'. Let's stare at a screen in the dark for a couple hours and not talk to one another, ok?

You weren't very social as a kid were you  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2015, 08:54:06 AM
I admit that one of the main reasons I'll see the midnight premiere of Star Wars is so that I don't have to worry about accidentally reading spoilers somewhere. :P

#firstworldnerdproblems

I just know not to listen to Tim when he says how good it is. Fuck him for Episode III.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on October 28, 2015, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2015, 09:09:24 AM
Several men after a hot lady, culminating in elephant climax?

This may be the only time anyone has written my movie review better than I did.
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Saw The Shining again (think just the second time). Great movie, one of the best horror films ever made.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Read the book, if you haven't already.

Savonarola

The Winning of Barbara Worth (1926) :alberta:

This is a prestige picture directed by Henry King and co-starring Gary Cooper in his first major role.  The story is about a dam built to bring flood irrigation to the desert and thus solving California's water shortage forever.  There's outlaws, a gun battle, double crossing, a love triangle, attempted rape, a lynch mob and a catastrophic flood along the way, but in the end everything works out as it only can in Hollywood.

One scene is sure to surprise modern audiences.  The Worth house has pillows with a swastika on them; of course in 1926 few people in the US were aware that the Nazi party even existed.  At the time it was an exotic Native American symbol.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966)

Still a classic.  What struck me this time was how well done the background cells of the night skies are; especially when Snoopy is crossing no man's land or when Linus and Sally are waiting in the pumpkin patch.

Martinus

Anyone here still watching American Horror Story? Because this season is one of the best.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

The Mist. Interesting movie. Didn't care for the end. [spoiler]Not so much because they died, but because they gave up.[/spoiler]

In a case of art imitating art, [spoiler]Andrea dies; Carol survives.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

A small request, please some names of decent recent films, as I need to populate a rental list and can't be arsed to read thru piles of reviews.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2015, 07:21:05 PM
A small request, please some names of decent recent films, as I need to populate a rental list and can't be arsed to read thru piles of reviews.  :)

Define recent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on October 29, 2015, 07:27:03 PM

Define recent.

Last 2-2.5 years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2015, 07:29:25 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 29, 2015, 07:27:03 PM

Define recent.

Last 2-2.5 years.

OK. I got nothing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.