News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2015, 06:21:42 PM
Boba Fett only became popular cause he made a great toy.

I don't think that's quite it.

It was more that yes he was mysterious, but he was a badass in that he actually captured Han Solo.  Plus his ship looked cool.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

He didn't really capture Solo...he just led Vader to him, and Vader handed him over.  Kinda weak, really.  :sleep:

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2015, 10:28:19 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2015, 06:21:42 PM
Boba Fett only became popular cause he made a great toy.

I don't think that's quite it.

It was more that yes he was mysterious, but he was a badass in that he actually captured Han Solo.  Plus his ship looked cool.

He was a badass!  One of the few in the original trilogy to stand-up to Vader: "He's no good to me dead."

Vader also explicitly wags his finger at him "No disintegrations!"  Boba Fett alone requires that extra warning.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Man, I would love to go see the new Star Wars with all you dumbasses.

That would be pretty awesome.

edit: Until one of you started spoilering TWD during the pre-views, anyway. :berkut:
Is there a legit IMAX in Rochester?  The closest ones to me are Albany and Syracuse, but they're both the mediocre half assed versions.  I'm watching it in 2d opening night, but I'd like to catch it in 3d in full IMAX glory at some point.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

I dunno.  He didn't make that much of an impression on me.  He first appears in a scene wearing a goofy helmet in a whole room full of people in wearing goofy helmets.  The guy I noticed was the lizard guy.  But it's just my opinion and I'm only basing what I said earlier because he seems like basic story telling.  If you introduce something  (like a villain who wears a mask), there should be some pay off.  It's not a hard and fast rule, but a good rule in general.  I have no idea if George Lucas ever heard of Chekhov's gun.  I don't reach a lot of Star Wars stuff so I don't know if he planned for Darth Vader to be Luke's father in the first film or not.  It just makes sense from a dramatic stand point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2015, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2015, 03:20:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2015, 02:55:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2015, 02:45:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Man, I would love to go see the new Star Wars with all you dumbasses.

That would be pretty awesome.

edit: Until one of you started spoilering TWD during the pre-views, anyway. :berkut:
all you have to do is drive up to Montreal! :P

I would not want to watch it in French, sorry.

It's Canada. It will be bilingual. Each actor will, very quickly, give both English and French versions: "Luke, I am your father - Luke, je suis ton père ... "  ;)

But it is in Montreal, so it would be:

"Luc, je suis ton père ... "

"Luke, I am your father"

I'm glad that Languish knowledge of the French Canadian dialect is improving. :)
West Montreal will have a subtitled version, hopefully.

Original trilogy only has a standard French dub, the new trilogy probably has a Québec dub. Viper probably knows. ;)

PS: in some end titles seen on old prints or Laserdiscs, one can see that Luke Skywalker was supposed to be Luke Courleciel i.e translating his surname...

Eddie Teach

Vader being Luke's father was revealed with the mask still on. When they finally removed it, there was no payoff. He was just some guy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

He was a broken down piece of meat.  It made him sympathetic.  It humanized him.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2015, 01:42:32 AM
He was a broken down piece of meat.  It made him sympathetic.  It humanized him.

Yeah, he was a beaten old man without the mask. Grandfatherly, sort of.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Wouldn't it be cool if someday a movie trailer were to show lots of scenes of the main bad guy. ... only for the film to come along and it to turn out he is just some random cool looking henchman killed in the first act.
Now that's how trailers should be done.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Boba Fett was all about the jetpack, imho. That was some awesome shit when I was a kid.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 02:20:26 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if someday a movie trailer were to show lots of scenes of the main bad guy. ... only for the film to come along and it to turn out he is just some random cool looking henchman killed in the first act.

Not in the first act, but Darth Maul was basically that. There was a lot of hype about him pre-Ep. I, and then he had only a few short appearances before the big fight scene in which he dies is hurt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2015, 02:56:52 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 02:20:26 AM

Not in the first act, but Darth Maul was basically that. There was a lot of hype about him pre-Ep. I, and then he had only a few short appearances before the big fight scene in which he dies is hurt.

And that pissed off a lot of people. It's a bad idea to build up a character and then make him accessory at best.

I agree that I would love if trailers gave away less. That's how it used to be, and I'm pleased the EP VII trailers so far are keeping most of the story under wraps.

Syt

I don't know where it was but I read/watched an analysis recently, that movies tend to do better at the box office when trailers give away major plot points. IIRC it was argued that it's either that way because people generally like to know in advance what they spend money on, or to see how the movie connects the dots of the trailer.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2015, 01:42:32 AM

OK, but that is not what Raz is talking about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?