News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on October 22, 2015, 09:34:22 AM
And TBH The Galactic Republic wasn't a stable, competent government when it had been in power for thousands of years.  It's actually kind of bizarre that Lucas thinks democracy would matter on a galactic scale across dozens of species with wildly different cultures and ways of thinking, both culturally and biologically.  If it weren't for the fact that the Emperor is a murderous fanatic corrupted by Cosmic Objectivism I don't think it would even be up for debate which system was superior. 
How many alien officers do you see in the Empire?  How many women?
Chances are, even if they don't think democracy really works, alien would want in on the power thing.  Under the Republic, they were all equal in front of corruption, now they are heavily discriminated against, even reduced as slaves for some.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quebec French dub and French French dub?
That's pretty cool.
Original is always best of course but an overly American dub can be rather jarring.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2015, 10:06:10 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 22, 2015, 09:22:29 AM
Actually, subtitling for very big blockbusters does not make much sense since they appeal to the lowest common denominator most of the time. Now for art house cinema it's different.
It makes sense when 3/4 of your population does not understand english ;)

French speakers keep saying they want to see movies in English, but the reality is, even if you're bilingual, chances are you'll want to hit the theaters with friends that are not, so you'll have to watch the movie in French.  I solved the problem by buying the tickets for myself and going alone, most of the time. Only excetpion is Star Wars where we'll be 12.

Darth is indeed the proper title, but it was probably changed for lip sync reasons. That's dubbing constraints for you, they adapted more back then and dubbing was not as bad as it is today.
Dark or Dart would be pretty similar ;)
Back in these days, especially in Europe, there was this tendancy to translate proper nouns and I suspect that's what happenned.  By the time of the 2nd movie it was so popular that they probably changed it for Quebec.

I meant subtitling, surely they can read some French? ;) I'll give a pass to Québec though since it's an island in an anglo sea. No excuses for the Dubbing über alles policy in Germany though.
While Dark or Dart may sound similar lip sync wise it's not the same for DarTH even if it's Darss' ;)

Syt

As for the golden age of German dubbing, when I saw the mess they did with Wages of Fear and movies with several languages spoken, 4 languages spoken in the original version for the former, only one (German) in the dubbed version, ruining the movie in the process, colour me skeptical. Not to mention Germans seem to be hard of hearing and need to overmix the voices upfront, then most dubs do, but Germans overdo it. Also, since German tends to use more words than French, itself using more words than English, so German dubbers have to speak pretty quickly hurting any remaining credibility as far as dubbing goes. Nah, I'd say that one of the reasons for this golden age of dubbing myth all over Europe was the very common post-sync back then. Italians only abandoned it in the '90s, they even dubbed their own Italian-language movies, shot without sound.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2015, 04:40:09 AM
Little talk about Back To Future Day, by the way. I distinctly remember that the "To Be Continued" tacked at the ending of the first one were some of the first English words I learnt. I asked my parents what that meant, and they told me they were making a new one. I went crazy with joy.

I saw some Back to the Future Day stuff being reported in the media, TV and newspapers.

celedhring

They even brought a life-size DeLorean to one of our local malls. It's been indeed widely reported. Was curious about Languish seemingly not paying much attention to it.

Eddie Teach

It's hardly the only movie set in "the future" which has come and gone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Yeah, we already did 1984.

The Brain

:w00t: I'm watching an old Hotel Inspector episode (2008?), and Alex is inspecting Jessop House in Tewkesbury. Apparently the owners didn't make it work, because when I stayed there last summer there were new owners and the place was awesome in every way.

If you're ever in Tewkesbury I totally recommend Jessop House. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

1999 came and went and there was no Moonbase Alpha  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2015, 07:40:51 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 21, 2015, 11:57:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Man, I would love to go see the new Star Wars with all you dumbasses.

That would be pretty awesome.

edit: Until one of you started spoilering TWD during the pre-views, anyway. :berkut:
Is there a legit IMAX in Rochester?  The closest ones to me are Albany and Syracuse, but they're both the mediocre half assed versions.  I'm watching it in 2d opening night, but I'd like to catch it in 3d in full IMAX glory at some point.

There is an iMax in Rochester, but I don't know if it is "legit" or half asses. What is the difference?
Legitimate IMAX would be an IMAX Dome/OMNIMAX as opposed to the Digital IMAX which is much smaller and basically a glorified basic modern movie theater.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadImmortalMan

Ep7 is breaking the hell out of ticket presales. The trailer on yt has 37 million hits.

The hype train is leaving the station.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 22, 2015, 03:14:54 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2015, 07:40:51 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 21, 2015, 11:57:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Man, I would love to go see the new Star Wars with all you dumbasses.

That would be pretty awesome.

edit: Until one of you started spoilering TWD during the pre-views, anyway. :berkut:
Is there a legit IMAX in Rochester?  The closest ones to me are Albany and Syracuse, but they're both the mediocre half assed versions.  I'm watching it in 2d opening night, but I'd like to catch it in 3d in full IMAX glory at some point.

There is an iMax in Rochester, but I don't know if it is "legit" or half asses. What is the difference?
Legitimate IMAX would be an IMAX Dome/OMNIMAX as opposed to the Digital IMAX which is much smaller and basically a glorified basic modern movie theater.

I think the Rochester imax is the latter. The one time I went it was just a really fucking humongous screen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Gay Star Wars is the worst. "Luke, I'm old enough to be your father."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

When will we be watching The Running Man life on TV? 2017?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom