Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 20, 2015, 05:59:48 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 20, 2015, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 20, 2015, 04:49:16 PM
No it wouldn't.  It'd be the dumbest thing since Midiclorians.  I'd boycott every movie Jar Jar Abrams touched for the rest of his life if that was what they came up with.

Adding some to Beeb's speculation:

[spoiler]I stumbled across a theory that the Big Bad is one of the Solo twins,  That could play into the balance thing: one of Leia's kids goes light, the other goes dark.  Plus, it seems Luke has already been seen in Jedi robes in some behind-the-scenes shots.  I doubt he would be the Big Bad in that case.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'd be fine with that as it wouldn't be the complete, off-screen destruction of previous plot points and characterization for a cheap thrill.[/spoiler]

Not like they've done such a great job when trying to show things on screen (like why Anakin became Vader).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I agree that ROTJ was big on Luke being tempted by the Dark Side but, unlike Vader, resisting it.

At the same time, the path to the dark side is often paved with good intentions (though that's more a point in the books and comics than in the movies).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I watched TWD.

[spoiler]Morgan has once again ruined everything for everyone[/spoiler]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2015, 09:17:10 AM
I watched TWD.

What do you mean?

[spoiler]For one thing, he saved the day by turning off the truck horn. Otherwise, the herd they were trying to lead away would have hit the camp.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 21, 2015, 09:21:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2015, 09:17:10 AM
I watched TWD.

What do you mean?

[spoiler]For one thing, he saved the day by turning off the truck horn. Otherwise, the herd they were trying to lead away would have hit the camp.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]He let a Wolf go with a gun.[/spoiler]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

I doubt that will matter much. [spoiler]One dude with a gun is no match for 20, unless his name is John Rambo.[/spoiler]

lustindarkness

TWD [spoiler]I bet a main character dies by that gun Morgan let go.[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2015, 02:27:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 08:23:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2015, 02:42:47 PM
So is Luke the new evil guy?

No, because that would be cool.

No it wouldn't.  It'd be the dumbest thing since Midiclorians.  I'd boycott every movie Jar Jar Abrams touched for the rest of his life if that was what they came up with.

I disagree.  I wondered the same thing from the trailer.  It would be a hell of a reveal, and would go with the theme that power corrupts.

...except that the climax of the last movie revolved around Luke *not* falling to the Dark Side.

Again, I hope that the new movie isn't "look, all the stuff that the characters fought against in the first trilogy, well, it happened anyway, and it happened offscreen". - Alien 3 style.

I'm not really that invested in Star Wars.  I just assume that when the villain wears a mask, there will be some sort of important reveal as to who he is.  Maybe he's Luke.  Maybe he's Luke's son.  I'm just thinking that if he wears a mask, he won't be reveal as "Jim, a guy nobody has any relation or knowledge of"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Ok, who is Boba Fett really?

Or the thousands of storm troopers?

Sometimes they just wear a mask because the director thinks it looks cool.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2015, 09:45:48 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2015, 02:27:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 08:23:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2015, 02:42:47 PM
So is Luke the new evil guy?

No, because that would be cool.

I disagree.  I wondered the same thing from the trailer.  It would be a hell of a reveal, and would go with the theme that power corrupts.

...except that the climax of the last movie revolved around Luke *not* falling to the Dark Side.

Again, I hope that the new movie isn't "look, all the stuff that the characters fought against in the first trilogy, well, it happened anyway, and it happened offscreen". - Alien 3 style.

I'm not really that invested in Star Wars.  I just assume that when the villain wears a mask, there will be some sort of important reveal as to who he is.  Maybe he's Luke.  Maybe he's Luke's son.  I'm just thinking that if he wears a mask, he won't be reveal as "Jim, a guy nobody has any relation or knowledge of"

The bad guy in the mask is called Rylo Ken.  Here's a released picture of the character without a mask.

I think Abrams and the writers know they can't go to the secret twist of "this character is actually Luke's long-lost [blank]" much more.  It's already been done twice.  There's nothing wrong with developing new characters who aren't tied to the old ones.

Although we've seen a fair bit of Han and Chewie in the trailers, the movie is apparently much more driven by the new heroes, namely the characters played by John Boyega (Finn) and Daisy Ridley (Rey).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 21, 2015, 09:47:52 AM
Ok, who is Boba Fett really?

Or the thousands of storm troopers?

Sometimes they just wear a mask because the director thinks it looks cool.  :D

Neither of which are central characters, but not being recognized probably is advantageous as a bounty hunter and the whole faceless army is also a statement.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

lustindarkness

Talking about Star Wars, I won't watch it in Imax, that shit gives me motion sickness. Should I do 3D?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 21, 2015, 10:00:50 AM
Talking about Star Wars, I won't watch it in Imax, that shit gives me motion sickness. Should I do 3D?

I'll skip 3D, I've yet to see the point of it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 21, 2015, 10:00:50 AM

Did you watch Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D? If yes, and you were fine, you should probably be able to handle this one?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I have avoided 3D movies for a while, I can't remember what movie the last one was, but I do remember it made me just a little dizzy (but not as bad as the first 3D movies).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom