News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

On TCM tonight: A Leauge of Their Own, Sleepless in Seattle, and The Prince of Tides.  Either a sign that I am old, or TCM has finally  begun to slide down with the rest of cable tv.  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on October 20, 2015, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2015, 02:42:47 PM
So is Luke the new evil guy?

No, because that would be cool.

No it wouldn't.  It'd be the dumbest thing since Midiclorians.  I'd boycott every movie Jar Jar Abrams touched for the rest of his life if that was what they came up with.

I disagree.  I wondered the same thing from the trailer.  It would be a hell of a reveal, and would go with the theme that power corrupts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I've started reading that Star Wars: Aftermath novel now that the hype sets in with me.  :blush:

It's ok so far, though I imagine many people will have a problem with the writing style. :D

You can read an excerpt of the opening here: http://www.starwars.com/news/chaos-throttles-the-capital-in-star-wars-aftermath-special-excerpt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 08:23:59 PM

No it wouldn't.  It'd be the dumbest thing since Midiclorians.  I'd boycott every movie Jar Jar Abrams touched for the rest of his life if that was what they came up with.

I disagree.  I wondered the same thing from the trailer.  It would be a hell of a reveal, and would go with the theme that power corrupts.

...except that the climax of the last movie revolved around Luke *not* falling to the Dark Side.

Again, I hope that the new movie isn't "look, all the stuff that the characters fought against in the first trilogy, well, it happened anyway, and it happened offscreen". - Alien 3 style.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 21, 2015, 02:01:32 AM
It's ok so far, though I imagine many people will have a problem with the writing style. :D

It's awful.

The author's idea of creating tension is just using single sentence paragraphs.

Over and over.

Like a shitty haiku.

Josquius

Luke as the new bad guy wouldn't work because he is only supposed to have a cameo. Hamil wouldn't hAve been   interested in that.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2015, 02:27:36 AM

...except that the climax of the last movie revolved around Luke *not* falling to the Dark Side.

Again, I hope that the new movie isn't "look, all the stuff that the characters fought against in the first trilogy, well, it happened anyway, and it happened offscreen". - Alien 3 style.

True, but the new baddie talking affectionately to the helmet of Darth Vader doesn't make much sense unless there's a connection between the two.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2015, 02:40:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 21, 2015, 02:01:32 AM

It's awful.

The author's idea of creating tension is just using single sentence paragraphs.

Over and over.

Like a shitty haiku.

I think it's ... interesting. I will re-evaluate when I'm more than 2 chapters in. It's kind of like someone is talking to a buddy and outlining his vision for a movie, like a narrated storyboard. It does feel breathless and a bit hectic.

I think the paragraph layout is a bit messed up in the excerpt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Liep on October 21, 2015, 02:58:56 AM
True, but the new baddie talking affectionately to the helmet of Darth Vader doesn't make much sense unless there's a connection between the two.

Doesn't have to mean that voice over and image belong together. I believe there were rumors that there was a guy in the movie (Max von Sydow?) collecting Imperial memorabilia, like Vader's helmet, possibly Luke's light saber?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Happy Back to the Future 2 Day. Soon, all three movies will take place entirely in the past.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 21, 2015, 02:58:56 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2015, 02:27:36 AM

It's not necessarily weird. I'm sure Vader is idolized by Dark Siders in the Star Wars universe.

The fact that the new baddie is named Kylo Ren and not Darth Whateverious seems to point that he's not a proper Sith, though.

Syt

geek.com dissects the trailer in great detail, linking it with known info from revealed toys and the official page:

http://www.geek.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-luke-less-trailer-breakdown-1637379/
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom