News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

That would just be stupid - as if "being evil" is something that someone innately good can just choose to become...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 02:48:00 PM
That would just be stupid - as if "being evil" is something that someone innately good can just choose to become...

Someone innately good? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2015, 02:42:47 PM
So is Luke the new evil guy?

Well not officially a spoiler, but the informed speculation...

[spoiler]Apparently one of the plot devices in the movie is that someone "finds" Luke's lightsaber - the one he lost when his hand was chopped off on cloud city.  The thinking is that part of the movie is trying to find Luke, who hasn't been seen in a long time.  We do know he's in the movie because he's said so, and there are a few pictures of him running around in costume looking a lot like Ben Kenobi.  It was speculated he's likely to have a bigger role in the next movie.[/spoiler]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2015, 02:53:49 PM

[spoiler]Apparently one of the plot devices in the movie is that someone "finds" Luke's lightsaber - the one he lost when his hand was chopped off on cloud city.  The thinking is that part of the movie is trying to find Luke, who hasn't been seen in a long time.  We do know he's in the movie because he's said so, and there are a few pictures of him running around in costume looking a lot like Ben Kenobi.  It was speculated he's likely to have a bigger role in the next movie.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, the latest trailer showed John Boyega's character (has his character name ever surfaced?) using a blue-bladed lightsaber, which is the color of the one Luke lost.  I'm guessing the green one Rey was wielding is Luke's second one.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

Proving once again that you can't spell "Twitter" without "Twit":

Quote'Star Wars' boycott hashtag calls film 'anti-white'

There has been an awakening of "racist" outcry, as the third and final trailer of Star Wars: The Force Awakens sparked a movement to boycott the J.J. Abrams-helmed film.

A social media movement using the hashtag #BoycottStarWarsVII, is accusing the film of pushing a multicultural agenda and engaging in "white genocide," according to one of the tweets using the hashtag.

The hashtag, which appeared on Twitter Sunday and Monday night, objected to the fact that none of the main protagonists are white males -- Daisy Ridley is a woman, John Boyega is black and Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan American -- and that the film is pushing a multicultural agenda.

While the hashtag originated with a small but vocal group, part of the reason it trended was due to others tweeting it out of curiosity or defending the films. Defenders of The Force Awakens included prominent African-American figures such as Selma director Ava Duvernay, who is encouraging Twitter to #CelebrateStarWarsVII instead.

The previous Star Wars films have included African-American actors in prominent roles, with Billy Dee Williams starring as Lando Calrissian, Samuel L. Jackson as Jedi Master Mace Windu and James Earl Jones voicing Darth Vader throughout the original trilogy.

Well, that certainly will be different than "The Phantom Menace."  Maybe they could get Dave Chappelle to do his whiteface Chuck Taylor bit as one of the aliens in order to make up for Jar Jar.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

:wacko:

I am not even sure what to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 04:18:39 PM
:wacko:

I am not even sure what to say.

Sometimes, "pointing and laughing" is really the only response.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I suspect it's a troll rather than a serious complaint.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

"A social media movement" that I suspect consists of five bored people.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2015, 02:53:49 PM

:) Sounds promising
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 02:47:33 PM

No, because that would be cool.

No it wouldn't.  It'd be the dumbest thing since Midiclorians.  I'd boycott every movie Jar Jar Abrams touched for the rest of his life if that was what they came up with.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Habbaku on October 20, 2015, 04:49:16 PM
No it wouldn't.  It'd be the dumbest thing since Midiclorians.  I'd boycott every movie Jar Jar Abrams touched for the rest of his life if that was what they came up with.

Adding some to Beeb's speculation:

[spoiler]I stumbled across a theory that the Big Bad is one of the Solo twins,  That could play into the balance thing: one of Leia's kids goes light, the other goes dark.  Plus, it seems Luke has already been seen in Jedi robes in some behind-the-scenes shots.  I doubt he would be the Big Bad in that case.[/spoiler]

Habbaku

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 20, 2015, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 20, 2015, 04:49:16 PM

Adding some to Beeb's speculation:

[spoiler]I stumbled across a theory that the Big Bad is one of the Solo twins,  That could play into the balance thing: one of Leia's kids goes light, the other goes dark.  Plus, it seems Luke has already been seen in Jedi robes in some behind-the-scenes shots.  I doubt he would be the Big Bad in that case.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'd be fine with that as it wouldn't be the complete, off-screen destruction of previous plot points and characterization for a cheap thrill.[/spoiler]

-J. R. R. Tolkien