And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2015, 10:14:47 AM
I never cared for the SW novels. I was dreading that the new movies would require some level of knowledge of that universe but I was delighted to hear that they're basically sweeping it away.

Yeah and writing a whole lot of new shit. Meh.

I can easily ignore the new shit as I ignored the old one.  :P

Syt

Unless they pull an Age of Ultron. "Oh, you want to know why the movie starts with our heroes storming some dude's fortress in the snow? Better watch our TV show (may or may not be available in your country at time of movie screening)!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Wait, there was a TV show pre Ultron?
I just took it as a continuation of Winter Soldier.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 11:38:34 AM
Unless they pull an Age of Ultron. "Oh, you want to know why the movie starts with our heroes storming some dude's fortress in the snow? Better watch our TV show (may or may not be available in your country at time of movie screening)!"

That was annoying watching the tv show also. One episode ends with Coulson calling the Avengers about who-knows-what, the next episode the SHIELD factional dispute is resolved and very little explained, just on to a new arc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Valmy

I thought it looked lame as hell. A super hero show without any super heroes? Like a show about the Gotham Police Department between appearances by Batman.

It may not be that bad though. I have never watched it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 12:23:25 PM
I thought it looked lame as hell. A super hero show without any super heroes? Like a show about the Gotham Police Department between appearances by Batman.

It's a spy show, not a superhero one per se, although there are some cameos. It started out pretty bland but improved a lot in the 2nd half of the season, following the events of Winter Soldier. Haven't watched the 2nd season so I can't coment on that, but superpowered peeps factor in more and more as it goes on apparently.

Eddie Teach

They're dealing with a bunch of people with mini-super powers now, like on Heroes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

I never watched that show, not enough interest for the very little time available I have.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

it's became pretty good.  Not GoT or TWD good, but good enough to deserve a watch if you have time to spare that would otherwise be wasted by folding clothes or cleaning the house.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 20, 2015, 01:37:21 PM

it's became pretty good.  Not GoT or TWD good, but good enough to deserve a watch if you have time to spare that would otherwise be wasted by folding clothes or cleaning the house.

Sadly I barely have enough time to play DAI and finish my AAR these days. Stupid real life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Another footnote to the "Why do they think Jedi and the Force are mere legends?" discussion. Remember that this is the same universe where the hero of the Rebel Alliance is Luke Skywalker, and no one ever stepped up to him and said, "Skywalker? From Tatooine? Like that famous Jedi General from the Clone Wars that disappeared together with all the other Jedi?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 01:57:01 PM
Another footnote to the "Why do they think Jedi and the Force are mere legends?" discussion. Remember that this is the same universe where the hero of the Rebel Alliance is Luke Skywalker, and no one ever stepped up to him and said, "Skywalker? From Tatooine? Like that famous Jedi General from the Clone Wars that disappeared together with all the other Jedi?"

It really just goes on and on. Back when the first prequel came out I had a whole list of nerd rage items. I forgot them all but it was like Lucas forgot the basic building blocks of his own mythology.

Liep

So is Luke the new evil guy?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Liep on October 20, 2015, 02:42:47 PM
So is Luke the new evil guy?

No, because that would be cool.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers