And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:23:52 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2015, 09:19:51 AM
Regarding TWD, I use spoiler tags, don't blame it on me!

Not blaming anyone - if there is a lot of discussion, eventually someone will forget.

[spoiler]So now apparently I know that Carls dad is going to get killed. That kind of sucks for me.[/spoiler].

No need to be draconian about it, but if there is going to be a lot of discussion about an ongoing series, better to be done in a separate thread that people can intentionally avoid.

Wait how do we know [spoiler]Carl's dad is gonna be killed?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:43:30 AM
Which is fine, but like I said, that means that the "Force" as the physical manifestation of this natural drive for balance, is in fact a somewhat malevolent force, to be resisted, and not at all revered, at least by those who desire "good", which presumably is what is best for the majority of sentient beings.

I see your point - unless Jedi and Sith believe they can bend the Force to their side (order vs. chaos, passion vs. calm, etc.) forever. Or believe they must exist to counter the "other side." Which, in the case of the Jedi, might lead them to overzealously guard against all darkness or evil to enforce their view of a balance.

Actually, the abrupt rise of the Empire and almost complete purge of the Jedi might have been a reaction to the Jedi and their light side dominating for too long.

Jedi and Sith both use the Force, so I would presume the Force in and of itself is neutral by default. The question would be how much free will the people in the Star Wars universe have - do they choose their actions freely and therefore determine whether they use the Force for good or evil? Or is there some sort of natural or spiritual law that makes it so that if one side becomes too powerful the other side will rise to compensate?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Syt

Me: Ok, I'm now interested in SW7 enough to look at what tie-in material there is that sets the stage for the movie.

Wookiepedia: "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a series of at least twenty books and comics that will feature content related to the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. These stories, part of the official Star Wars canon, will be told throughout the final months of 2015, leading up to the release of The Force Awakens on December 18. The stories will be written by a number of authors spanning multiple publishers, all of whom worked with the Lucasfilm Story Group.[2]

Novels
Aftermath[2]
Lost Stars[2]
Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure[2]
Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure[2]
The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure[2]

Short stories
"All Creatures Great and Small"[6]
"The Crimson Corsair and the Treasure of Count Dooku"[6]
"The Face of Evil"[6]
"High Noon on Jakku"[6]
"The Perfect Weapon"[3]

Comics
Star Wars: Shattered Empire[2]
Star Wars Special: C-3PO 1[7]"

Me: Oh, fuck off.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

I never cared for the SW novels. I was dreading that the new movies would require some level of knowledge of that universe but I was delighted to hear that they're basically sweeping it away.

Ed Anger

I put in a bid for Leia's gold bikini but I was outbid.  :(

Syt

Like with every big body of work there's good and crap novels. I never cared much for the ones where they take the heroes of Ep. IV-VI who toppled Vader and the Emperor and have them stumped by a new enemy. I much prefer the stories that deal with secondary or original characters.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 01:54:10 AM
OK, then how do you end up with storm troopers and Tie fighters after the Empire has been defeated?  And Jedis only a distant memory?
The Empire has not been defeated.  Episodes 4, 5 and 6, were simply Luke dreaming about what could have happenned after receiving a bump on the head.  Episode 7 shows us the reality.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2015, 09:13:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 18, 2015, 01:11:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2015, 12:42:55 PM
Is that a Death Star? Did they build another damn Death Star?

Third time's the charm? :unsure:

A massive planet-sized planet destroyer is an idea that can never die.
If you don't succeed at first, try and try again...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2015, 09:44:54 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:23:52 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2015, 09:19:51 AM
Regarding TWD, I use spoiler tags, don't blame it on me!

Not blaming anyone - if there is a lot of discussion, eventually someone will forget.

[spoiler]So now apparently I know that Carls dad is going to get killed. That kind of sucks for me.[/spoiler].

No need to be draconian about it, but if there is going to be a lot of discussion about an ongoing series, better to be done in a separate thread that people can intentionally avoid.

Wait how do we know [spoiler]Carl's dad is gonna be killed?[/spoiler]

We don't! it was a misunderstanding from Berkie.[spoiler] If that happened there would be riots and the mob would firebomb AMC headquartes.[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:21:58 AM
It is like wondering what would happen to Nazi Germany if the French had managed to kill Hitler when he was visiting a conquered Paris or something.

Would the entire thing just go away? Seems unlikely.
Knowing Hitler, the Germans might have had a better shot at this New World Order thing.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2015, 10:14:47 AM
I never cared for the SW novels. I was dreading that the new movies would require some level of knowledge of that universe but I was delighted to hear that they're basically sweeping it away.

Yeah and writing a whole lot of new shit. Meh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2015, 10:14:47 AM

Yeah and writing a whole lot of new shit. Meh.
Aftermath is supposed to be good.