News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 20, 2015, 12:20:18 AM
Star Wars trailer has to be one of the worst I've ever seen, what the fuck!?  :huh:
Oh thank god.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

I'm tempted to watch the star wars trailer but I know I shouldn't.  Trailers ruin films.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Trailer looks fine to me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Just watched the trailer.  Is this supposed to be a sequel or a reboot?  Cuz I don't see how you get from the end of episode 6 to this.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 01:15:54 AM
Just watched the trailer.  Is this supposed to be a sequel or a reboot?  Cuz I don't see how you get from the end of episode 6 to this.
This is 30 (?) years later from last.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 12:57:24 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 19, 2015, 11:35:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on October 19, 2015, 11:19:41 PM
Besides Enid, who else can Carl fall in love with? He might have to chase after her into the woods.

Not to mention the "love triangle" with the other kid.  I am not sure what TWD needs to improve the story is lame teenage angst.

He didn't seem very angsty when saving the other kid's life... I think the point of that scene was to contrast Carl's practicality with Ron's more typical emo teen behavior.

I meant the other kids' angst, not Carl's.  His all, "oh, I see you had the girl with you...I'll just go mope with the wolves/zombies...fuck survival". 

MadImmortalMan

Wife watched the trailer and wants to see the movie in the theater now. I really want to wait. She asked me--"Don't you have a boatload of Disney stock right now?".

I do. I really do.  :sleep:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 01:33:00 AM
Wife watched the trailer and wants to see the movie in the theater now. I really want to wait. She asked me--"Don't you have a boatload of Disney stock right now?".

I do. I really do.  :sleep:

Tickets for IMAX 3D on 17th bought.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on October 20, 2015, 01:17:09 AM

OK, then how do you end up with storm troopers and Tie fighters after the Empire has been defeated?  And Jedis only a distant memory?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2015, 01:54:10 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 20, 2015, 01:17:09 AM

OK, then how do you end up with storm troopers and Tie fighters after the Empire has been defeated?  And Jedis only a distant memory?
oy vey. :frusty:

Admiral Yi

Well if you're going to grumbler me then never mind.

katmai

Sorry Yi, have a 6am call for shooting tomorrow, so will have to explain tomorrow night.

But basically just because the emperor was killed along with Vader 30 years ago didn't mean the imperial governors and the imperial army all folded. They haven't released any plot from new film as of yet, but with tie ins to a novel released and ongoing comic from Marvel is trying to explain what happened in the last x number of years since destruction of Death Star 2.0

Syt

Liked the trailer. Obviously they're building up a big mystery around Luke - he's not on the poster, and not prominently included in the trailer. So what are they going for? Is he the bad guy? Or are they making it look like he might be a bad guy only he's not?

I'm ok with Jedi falling even more into obscurity - they were already the stuff of legend in A New Hope, and Obi-Wan had to tell Luke that it was the Empire who destroyed the Jedi Order.

Endor was a costly victory, and while it left the Empire without clear leader, its infrastructure was still largely intact. So it wouldn't be far fetched if a strongman of some sort would grab power and start a vicious crackdown, together with a propaganda campaign to discredit the Alliance (the contractor discussion from Clerks comes to mind :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 04:00:16 AM
Liked the trailer. Obviously they're building up a big mystery around Luke - he's not on the poster, and not prominently included in the trailer. So what are they going for? Is he the bad guy? Or are they making it look like he might be a bad guy only he's not?

I'm ok with Jedi falling even more into obscurity - they were already the stuff of legend in A New Hope, and Obi-Wan had to tell Luke that it was the Empire who destroyed the Jedi Order.

Endor was a costly victory, and while it left the Empire without clear leader, its infrastructure was still largely intact. So it wouldn't be far fetched if a strongman of some sort would grab power and start a vicious crackdown, together with a propaganda campaign to discredit the Alliance (the contractor discussion from Clerks comes to mind :P ).

I don't mind the Jedi still being the stuff of legends 30 years after A New Hope, the problem is the prequels, where there's Jedi all over the place and in a very public position, and by the time of the Empire everybody has forgotten them...

Syt

Well, the vast majority of them were killed. Add a propaganda campaign on the Imperial equivalent of RIA Novosti and RT that posits all actions or supposed deeds of Jedi as questionable, negative, exaggerated, or fabricated ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.